Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:$3.74+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 2,034 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,461 reviews
on August 22, 2013
Include me in the people who had never seen or read anything about the character Dredd. I watched this based solely on one person's recommendation and I'm glad I did. It is the second film on blu ray I have seen that was a box office disappointment in the past year that turned out to be a great film. Oblivion is the other and I love that film, too.

Dredd is mostly wall to wall action and violence. It is VERY violent so that was a shock to me. I expected a superhero film with violence such as in The Avengers. Yes, I missed the part where this is rated R. But is it that much more violent than an episode of The Walking Dead? If it is, it's not by much. But just be prepared when you watch this film. It's not for kids.

Urban is fantastic in the lead. We never see his face. We see his jaw and that's it as he works his way through the film and the mega city. He is a driven man and though we learn little about him personally (there are brief hints) it is his actions that speak loud and clear. He talks sparingly but when he does it's memorable and never campy.

This is as pure as an action film gets. I think it is the best I have seen in a long time. It's right up there with Die Hard and destined to be a classic in the genre.
on September 7, 2016
This movie caught me totally by surprise. It showed up unannounced in my Amazon Prime list in 2013 and on a whim I decided to try it out.

It’s amazing. Forget the Stallone version and most other “dark” comic-to-film- or game-to-film movies. This one’s the real deal. It’s dark, gritty, well paced, clever, and brutal. It’s also the first movie I’ve ever watched at home and found myself saying, “Now, that movie would really look good in 3-D!”

An interesting thing about that last comment is that most of the movie is spent on the inside of a vast urban city tower, running up and down corridors, shooting things and people up. But the way the movie is photographed, edited, and choreographed you don’t have a tiresome boring by-the-numbers floor-by-floor fight-fest like The Raid. In Dredd you know where you are and where the bad guys are at all times. You get plot twists tossed at you but the logic of Dredd’s inevitable judgment is inescapable.

Karl Urban adds another capstone to a lustrous action career thet now includes not only Dredd but Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Riddick, and Priest. And you never get to see his eyes under that helmet!

Lena Heady proves again she is well on her way to becoming the go-to actor for psychopathic female leaders. This woman does not fool around and is just plain fun to watch. I would love to see her play a character up against “Alice” in the next Resident Evil movie.

The movie is very well photographed. Scenes are interestingly but not ostentatiously framed. Lighting is such that, even when shadows abound, you can always see what is going on. I especially loved the coloring; much use is made of yellow, orange, and gold, in contrast to the washed out blues and greens we’ve grown accustomed to in so many fantasy and science fiction films.

Think about the lighting from the early scenes in Blade Runner, especially the scenes of the exterior and interior of the Tyrell Corporation. Then apply that to a gritty vertical city constructed from hundreds of layers of cheesy and decaying urban shopping malls. But sort of pretty, if you know what I mean?

This is a violent movie. Its R-rating is well-deserved. Maybe that’s why it didn’t do better at the box office. I suspect, though, that now that it’s more widely available a lot more people are going to discover it.
on March 31, 2013
This film is a vast improvement over the big budget Stalone version and is very close to the original character portrayed for over 40 years in 2000AD and Judge Dredd magazine. Karl Urban was born to play Dredd. He has every perfected every nuance and even the body language of Dredd - all of this without ever once taking off the helmet!

For Dredd fans this film is a huge hit and I've watched it several times since buying the bluray disk - it never gets stale. Sadly in the States the public are not familiar with the Dredd character so it wasn't the mega-hit it deserved but if you enjoy action, dark humor and bleak futuristic settings, this is the film.

Judge Anderson is also brilliantly portrayed as the Rookie judge coming to terms with the brutality of the job. While Dredd is already a granite faced veteran, Anderson starts the film with doubts and moments of hesitation. In effect this is a "coming of age" story and again the actress (Olivia Thirlby) has nailed her character brilliantly.

The only limitation on this film is budget; there are a few moments we are reminded this film was made on limited funds, however I am reminded of Pitch Black which in many ways owes its brilliance to the same combination of excellent actors and script-over-budget excellence.

I can only hope that somehow everyone on this film gets picked up to make a bigger budget sequel. There are many rich stories in the Dredd magazine, and many which reflect on society today.
on June 2, 2016
I'm a little irritated by this purchase as the digital download (included with hard copy) requires credit card info' be provided to yet another party which I'm not thrilled with at all. So that to me is useless unless I'm willing to share that info'. I'm not one for buying movies but I like this flick and just might share that info'. I'd like to watch it on my computer but without a bunch of nonsense even blueray players won't plug and play. That is the only reason I gave it 3 stars. I received it in a timely fashion though...so it's just little extra unseen hassles is all.
on November 18, 2015
I know this movie flopped at the box office, but I enjoyed it. It was extremely gritty, bloody, noisy, with tons of bullets flying, but it was definitely not boring. Seeing how the lovely Lena Headey from Game of Thrones was transformed into a skeletal, skanky-looking crackhead was something to behold. The setting was very gritty, dirty, dark, and dank - makes you want to take a shower after watching it. It's not a movie for everyone, but I I understand why it didn't do better at the box office. I like Karl Urban (Bones from Star Trek) as an actor and felt he delivered a great performance and I enjoyed the movie and highly recommend it.
on May 15, 2013
I wanted a movie that didn't span the whole world, didn't have a romantic plot that made me cringe, or script writing that has me thinking "why?" at every turn. Dredd gave a cool character to follow, a suspenseful plot, and methodical action. I enjoyed the film's pacing and dialogue. The film showcased its action in a way that left me feeling at times uncomfortable. I liked that the script left room for this discomfort in scenes that show the fallout of violence and its patterns. All in all, I recommend Dredd to fans of action movies, hard-ass main characters, and to those who might want less "everything and the kitchen sink" in their film-watching experiences.
on March 3, 2017
So when my step brother told me that I HAD to watch this movie I told him that I do not enjoy remakes. Lets face it, so many remakes are just crap. One day I decided to watch this film. As soon as I was done with the movie I called up my brother and I apologized. If you would ask anyone who knows me well they would tell you that I rarely ever apologize for anything. lol I am REALLY hoping for a sequel to this movie. It is violent and awesome. Just as Judge Dredd should be. I loved the comics and I loved this movie. See it for yourselves.
So to make it clear - this is totally based on the QUALITY of this video. The movie - I loved it. Saw it twice in the theaters.

I don't know if it's because there's two versions on the disc - 2D and 3D, but the video quality ranges from typically fantastic BluRay to low quality dark images - we're talking VHS tape quality. ALL dark scenes suffer from banding, over-compressed, pixelation. Most lighter scenes have those annoying "rainbow" pixels everywhere. I swear the equipment they used to render this had defects. You'll see the same black spot in the same space in several scenes. The same red spot on several scenes. I only paid $10 - any more and it would go back.

Then to add insult to injury there's not one, or two, or three - but SEVEN commercials before the movie starts. The best quality image on the disc? The two different anti-piracy stills in the beginning.
on June 6, 2013
For those of you who haven't seen Dredd yet, if you're expecting the typical flashy PG-13 comic book movie, a remake of Stallone's Judge Dredd or a carbon copy of the 2000AD/Megazine Judge Dredd, you might be disappointed.

This Dredd is a combination of a dark, depressing, gritty, British indie film mixed with a 70s/80s, over-the-top, R-rated action film.

There's some subtle, dark humor neatly woven into Dredd. Unfortunately I've noticed that some viewers miss this. Maybe their attention is focused on the depressing, violent surroundings/situations and the humor falls flat or passes them by.

I've seen "excessive violence" mentioned a lot and Dredd certainly deserves it's R rating (I wouldn't let kids watch) but to me it didn't feel much worse than many other movies. Maybe I just happen to watch a lot of violent movies but I think it has more to do with genre expectations. We normally associate over-the-top violence with horror or certain thrillers so it could come across a bit more shocking seeing this kind of violence in the comic book, sci-fi genre.

It's also important to note that there is a subtle social/political message sprinkled throughout the movie and that the filmmakers use of "excessive violence" is part of this (fascism, crumbling society, violence).

In my opinion, Dredd works best in 3D but is still good in 2D... although it works far better in the theater than on blu-ray. This may have to do with the style of 3D. Instead of the jump-out-at-you 3D of many movies, Dredd's 3D is more about depth. I think this style translates better on a large movie screen than on your average TV.

Last, I never understand why people worry about comparing movies or who stole what. If it's a good movie, enjoy it but I'm going to touch on a few things that reviewers are confused about.

Claim: Dredd is a Hollywood copy of Raid Redemption - If you fact-check dates, you'll see that Dredd was written first and Dredd finished main filming before Raid even began filming. Also Dredd is a DNA film, an independent British film production company, not Hollywood.

Claim: Dredd is a Robocop clone - I would not be surprised if Verhoeven's style influenced Dredd but Robocop was actually modeled after the Judge Dredd in the comic book.

Claim: Urban is imitating Stallone's Dredd - Karl Urban and Stallone both based their character after the Judge Dredd in the comic book. In fact, intentionally or unintentionally Urban's Dredd gives off a Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry vibe which is fitting since the comic book Judge Dredd was influenced by Dirty Harry.
on April 9, 2017
Awesome. No Remorse while in court is telling.I do mean it,maybe this will be our future not prosecuting the guilty by a corrupt System.By God, some need to be executed soon as the trial; is over. If you are a heinous minded evil Criminal who Murder with cruel Intentions,then why do we want to have mercy and hope they will repent and truly witness any sorrowful repentance while sitting on our dime on death row before the living God.