Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dredd [3D Blu-ray/Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UltraViolet]
Celebrity Picks 2016 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,922 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on July 27, 2013
This movie does so much with such a little budget. The creativity really shines with slo-mo and the characters and the violence. Seriously, the violence is beautiful and I've never said that before, you can bet.

On another level it's brilliant because it's an action movie with four distinct and interesting female characters (none of which are a love interest) and that's cool.

In a world with three comic book movies a season this one stands out and deserves attention. And a sequel. And a franchise.

So go watch it.
on February 5, 2014
This has to be one of the most overlooked films of 2012. It's like Robocop mixed with Die Hard and it's incredible. The art style is incredible and the actors do a great job committing to their roles throughout. It is fun, you should watch.
on May 9, 2013
I think the subject says it all. If you are into the older just straight up action movies (Commando, Predator, etc.) then this is a movie you'll enjoy. There isn't any overly deep character development. And fortunately it is missing a lot of those really tired current action film trends (Super shaky camera shots, terrible jokes, bad acting). It really is just a fun action movie. Dredd, although I have never really learned anything about the character outside of the first movie and this one, is an interesting character. The story and the environment is really cool if you like the whole run down future kind of thing. It's more believable than the Stallone one, a more gritty nasty future with people living in these overcrowded apartment complex's which is where most of the movie takes place.

What this movie suffered from is abysmal marketing. The company that was hired to market this should be really disappointed in their treatment of this film. They overhyped the 3D, and under advertised the great action and interesting setting.

This movie, sadly, will probably not get a sequel as the it did not make a great amount of money. But do this film justice, buy the Blu-Ray and enjoy some great action, and great special effects.
on December 25, 2012
I have to admit, when I heard they were re-doing Judge Dredd I was not thrilled. The Stallone version, cheeseball as it was, carried a lot of weight and honestly I didn't see where there was room for any sort of improvement given the source material. I'm not knocking the Dredd comics, I just did't expect anyone to have the will to translate them in any way faithfully to the big screen. Man, was I wrong. This film is dark, violent, gory, and unrelenting. It has not real morally redeeming moments. It is... almost perfect. Dredd, this Dredd, is a bad ass for the ages. Kudos to Alex Garland for a solid script. And kudos to Karl Urban for throwing himself into a role that no one is every going to recognize him for (literally, he's a frown with a helmet for the entire movie).

The other surprise for me was the cinematography. This movie is visually stunning in a way you just don't expect from a action movie like this. The visuals are balanced with a terrific sound track as well. The movie really draws you into the world the filmmakers were trying to create.

I don't know, maybe my initial doubts going in are clouding my judgement, but this was a stand out movie for me for 2012 and I can't wait to see it again on blu-ray.
on August 22, 2013
Include me in the people who had never seen or read anything about the character Dredd. I watched this based solely on one person's recommendation and I'm glad I did. It is the second film on blu ray I have seen that was a box office disappointment in the past year that turned out to be a great film. Oblivion is the other and I love that film, too.

Dredd is mostly wall to wall action and violence. It is VERY violent so that was a shock to me. I expected a superhero film with violence such as in The Avengers. Yes, I missed the part where this is rated R. But is it that much more violent than an episode of The Walking Dead? If it is, it's not by much. But just be prepared when you watch this film. It's not for kids.

Urban is fantastic in the lead. We never see his face. We see his jaw and that's it as he works his way through the film and the mega city. He is a driven man and though we learn little about him personally (there are brief hints) it is his actions that speak loud and clear. He talks sparingly but when he does it's memorable and never campy.

This is as pure as an action film gets. I think it is the best I have seen in a long time. It's right up there with Die Hard and destined to be a classic in the genre.
on February 21, 2013
This movie is a pure ultra-violent action movie which eschews many of the cliches of the genre. We don't have to sit through a boring origin story about Dredd where young Dredd is running around. We don't have to sit through an awful love story between him and Anderson. He's not an irritating one-liner quip machine. He doesn't play jokes on or give the rookie a hard time; he's tough but fair to her. He doesn't have time or patience for the sob stories of the perps he sentences to die. Ma-Ma is an ex-prostitute junkie sliced up by her pimp and forced to sell drugs because of a life of poverty. Dredd. Does. Not. Care. His job is to uphold the law. That's actually refreshing. This movie is basically about a day on the job with Judge Dredd in a dystopian overcrowded future city as he methodically carries out his duties. Dredd and rookie Anderson are trapped in a housing project after investigating a triple homicide.Every gang member in the building is ordered to kill them. It is a simple premise but you learn about Dredd's character by watching him do his job. I wished this film had done better in theaters because a sequel is unlikely. You owe it to yourself to buy this if you are a fan of action movies or comic book movies.
on May 18, 2013
If you read these reviews you know by now this isn't anything like Stallone's 90's film. It is far far better. Karl Urban is a perfect Judge Dredd staying true to the comic.

If I had to describe it I would say it's a bit of a Noland-like (a kind of realistic spin, like it "could" happen) take on the Judge Dredd comics. Instead of giant eagles on the shoulders, it's more like SWAT body armor. The visuals are stunning and hypnotic. It is a violent film but Dredd is a violent comic. It's a fun ride that is worth buying and watching again from time to time....

When this film was in theaters they had a TERRIBLE marketing team. They should all be given 5 years in iso-cubes. Seriously, the failure of the team that marketed Dredd is epic. The team that cut the trailers should also be fired and forbidden to ever work in any media. This is a good film, buy it.
on January 26, 2013
This is arguably one of the best action movies ive seen in a while. Its true to the comic book but more importantly it will make sense to newcomers as well. Dredd is set in a distopian future where mega cities have been built and the majority of the earth has become uninhabitable. Crime spirals due to overpopulation and street judges are created. Policemen who serve as judge, jury and executioner (IF NEEDS BE). This movie actually builds the mega cities around our existimg cities. Judge Dredd didpenses justice harshly but very fairly. Most of the movie takes place in a building but dont let that turn you away. You will be completely satisfied with the pacing and dark humor in the film. And you may even be left pondering how the concept of such justice would be applicable in todays and the futures society. Watch it!
on January 25, 2013
The plot was simple which goes to show you that you don't need to over complicate a story to enjoy a movie. I hope they make another film.
on June 30, 2013
After the first Judge Dredd movie I was hesitant to watch this one...But upon watching this movie, I was blown away by it. It has a raw-sexy cool feel, the casting was perfect and the acting was on par. The story itself was really good as well. But the gritty and sharp soundtrack has to be one of the best movie soundtracks I've ever heard. It goes perfect with the dark and violent movie. This is truly a cult classic that I would definitely recommend.