Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 27, 2017
I bought this book when I took the class with John Boyer years ago and I bought it again for my dad so we can do it together
on February 18, 2014
This book is really entertaining and exactly what the beginner wine drinker wants to know. Doesn't go too in depth but has enough information to get you started
on February 23, 2014
Great guideline to becoming a wine connoisseur! Lots of tips and methods to really understanding how to drink and enjoy wine.
on February 9, 2013
I think Boyer writes a great intro to how to taste and drink wine. He gets you enough info to not feel so lost in the world of wine and how to really enjoy the wine-drinking experience.
on February 24, 2015
Kindle book was easy to download
on January 24, 2012
This book is for the geography of wine course at Virginia Tech. It could be used outside of class as well.
on February 1, 2014
I thought I was ordering the book I'm rating but instead of the 2010 edition I was sent 2009 edition. The sender is loislane29 (her profile) and I have emailed her three times without a response about the wrong edition sent. I checked to make sure it wasn't my fault but she has her description as the 2010 edition. I know it's the wrong book because the author is actually my professor.
on December 17, 2012
I am very far from a wine connoisseur, but I do occasionally drink wine and sherry, and use them for cooking as well. Boyer's book covers the various wine families, the virtues of different types of wine glasses, how wines grapes are grown, how wine is aged, the adjectives for describing wine, and the areas of the world that are known for certain kinds of wines. The author also assigns to the reader what might be considered "homework"--that is a suggestion of a selection of wines that you might go out and buy and how much you should spend. He also suggests the cheeses you might eat along with the wine in question.

One aspect of this book that I found particularly interesting is wines that have become better known as of late because of wine growing areas that have fairly recently sprung up outside of Europe. For example, Zinfandel wines have become more popular over the years mostly because of the varieties grown in California.

This is an entertaining book that includes a number of amusing insights--some of which deal with which wines have become "fashionable." In this case the author provides some insight on one of the inside joke in the movie adventures of the wine connoisseurs in Sideways. He discusses the scene where Paul Giamatti's character refuses to drink Merlots. Like this character in Sideways, the author considers Merlot to be over-hyped!

The author also makes on few comments for cooking with wine. One observation is that Marsala serves as a good base for French onion soup.
2 helpful votes