Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 110 reviews
on September 3, 2014
Although the overall approach is closely duplicated on "The Lonesome Crowded West," Modest Mouse's first full length "This Is A Long Drive..." is more lush than its follow-up -- probably due to cellos. Still, the similarity between the two makes "...Drive..." -- being the first -- seem more original.

Unpredictable arrangements keep the listener guessing; making the songs almost unknowable. They feel new even with repeated listenings. The vocals throughout swing from plaintive to the screams of a Tourette's sufferer who is alternatively anguished then furious. The album is replete with Modest Mouse's trademark guitar riff that is reminiscent of a seagull's cry.

The opening guitars often remind me of Pere Ubu's first two works.

The general sound is like early Violent Femmes coming down from crack or almost any Half Japanese record.

Ironically, and despite the album's title, it makes great long distance driving music. The cacophony that erupts suddenly from spacy, pretty passages ensures the driver won't nod off at the wheel.

Besides, sometimes thinking is overrated.

Standout tracks: Ohio, Talking Shit About A Pretty Sunset

Pairs well with: The Pixies, Pavement or Pere Ubu's "Modern Dance" & "Dubhousing" for continuity, or an ambient symphonic or electronic instrumental for contrast.

Best served: During a long distance drive.
on March 14, 2017
I bought ''The Lonesome Crowded West'' about 2 months after it came out. Primarily because it stayed atop Billboard's college music chart for an unprecented 6 weeks. It took me about 3 decades to purchase this one,even though it was released just before. I shouldn't have waited so long.
on January 26, 2014
This is the second album released by Modest Mouse and boy is it hard to tell. The young Isaac Brock, Jeremiah Greene, and Eric Judy, as well as help with mixing and female vocals (I believe by a Nicole [someone]) really hit it out of the park with something that's further from tracks and closer to musical poetry. Word to the wise, This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About lives up to it's name. It's food for the deepest thought I've ever entered. If you don't focus, this is a long album. My favorite album in my collection.
on August 31, 2010
Well I have to say Modest Mouse is one of my favorite bands now this is my favorite album next to Lonesome Crowded West. I have to say Lonesome Crowded West and this album are better than Good News and The Moon & Antarctica but that is my opinion. The songs on this album take some getting use to I admit, at first i hated this whole album except for Dramamine but i gave it a few more listens and began to love it. The songs are not the catchiest songs but they are by far better then the junk thats out there now. One more thing that got me on this album is the lyrics, you cant understand them so you have to look them up and they have a meaning? what!? Songs can have meaning? I would have never guessed. If you want good music look no further who cares if their mainstream or whatever these days if you keep tags on that stuff then im guessing your also mainstream. I want more albums like this Modest Mouse.
on October 13, 2009
So I was introduced to Modest Mouse through random songs on my girlfriends computer that were all scattered from throughout their career. I went through and made a CD of my favorites; again all from random albums and such. I listened to that CD for a while, and on a whim decided to buy this and Lonesome Crowded West after discovering I liked how their earlier stuff sounded. This album blows me away. I have since then bought everything these guys have made except their last two albums, and I attribute it to the genius of Long Drive. Lonesome is good too, but there's something about this album, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Funny thing is, though it's a great song, Dramamine is my least favorite. The last four or so songs just put me in this mood that can't be matched by anything. I love it, and I think you would too if you're in to indie, lo-fi prod, the Pixies, Slint, Pavement, etc.
on February 21, 2011
The emotion shown throughout this album is just brilliant. Modest Mouse has a knack for creating lyrical and instrumental grooves layer together in ways other bands just can't do. This is one of those albums that really needs a good set of headphones and a correct mindset to completely appreciate. Modest Mouse will always be one of the best bands in music, but sadly most people won't give this album a chance because it's not as accessible as "Float On" or any of their recent singles.

If your looking to really expand your musical education, do yourself a favor by getting this album along with The Lonesome Crowded West and The Moon and Antarctica. Building Something out of Nothing and their more recent albums are pretty good as well.
on March 29, 2013
I have always liked the newest Modest Mouse material that I began hearing as a teenager. I recently purchased those albums and like all the songs enough to explore further. I finally got down to this album, which I believe was their first, and I enjoy it for all the same reasons I like the rest of their music. Isaac Brock has a real talent for song writing.
on July 16, 2015
Happy that this album is being printed again. I ordered as part of a birthday gift for my husband and he was very excited to have it as part of his record collection again
on August 19, 2015
Not only the best Modest Mouse album, but this album plays magnificently. I love it. The first one to start our collection of vinyls.
on October 22, 2016