Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 750 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,035 reviews
on May 28, 2017
I think the notion of motivation 2.0 is well known to be of the past and if you do not believe it, I think it is good to pick up this book and read for yourself the examples and experts opinions.
on December 8, 2014
I love that scientists would develop tests to determine what motivates us, from primates to American workers, and juxtapose that with what American businesses (many billion dollar, S&P 500 companies) thinks we want in our work environment. Believe me, it's miles and cities apart.
I will not get political, but some people in Washington might learn a few things about human behavior, and how some of our government programs effect the populace, if they would only read this book. Based on the completely viable facts in this book, much of what our government thinks is helping Americans is, actually, hurting them.
That aside, if you run a sales organization, take a look at how you manage your team. Are you managing the people or are you managing the work that needs to be done?
Big difference is what you do and the results you get.
Daniel Pink argues; and based on his impressive evidence, rightly so, that motivating people through the use of "carrots and sticks" or rewards and punishment, doesn't work. What we need to be motivated is autonomy, mastery and purpose (which make up what he calls "Motivation 3.0"). An interesting argument and one worth noting in our personal and professional lives if we need to motivate ourselves or those around us.

My three main take-aways:

Point #1: Pink argues there is a disconnect between what science is learning and what business is doing when it comes to motivation. Business still believes in Motivation 2.0 - Carrots to reward behavior and Sticks to punish it. Science meanwhile is figuring out that what we really need is autonomy, mastery and purpose to to be motivated and fulfill our potential. Pink's examples of "FedEx Days" (autonomy), his 3 Laws of Mastery - mastery is a mindset, mastery is pain and mastery is the oxygen of the soul - combined with how and why "intrinsic aspirations" (purpose) lead to the good life; combine to paint a clear picture of why motivation can and should come from within us all and not from the outside.

Point #2: While readily admitting that his "Type I" and "Type X" classifications "sacrifice a certain amount of nuance," they are useful in giving the reader a simple system to not only remember the book as a whole, but also to add to their personal and professional change toolbox. Pink begins with Friedman and Rosenman's "Type A" and "Type B" behavioral patterns, which most people probably already know. Next he covers Douglas McGregor's "Theory X" and "Theory Y" classifications from the seminal work "The Human Side of Enterprise" Using these antecedents, Pink introduces us to "Type I" as people motivated by intrinsic desires, while as you would expect "Type X" are people motivated by extrinsic rewards. The construct is helpful to me because in it's simplicity is the powerful notion that taking the time to designate co-workers, bosses, family members or friends into one of the two categories allows me to better comprehend their motivations (or even my own) and use that knowledge to help leverage positive outcomes.

Point #3: The "Type I Toolkit" near the back of the book is chock full of advice for individuals looking for insight into motivation as well as organizations trying to find innovative ways to motivate their teams. It also includes a reading list that informs much of what Mr. Pink discussed earlier in the book and a quick bio on "Seven Business Thinkers Who Get It." This section of the book provides a unique service to the reader that other writers would be well served to copy. Like most books in this genre the insights and advice are only as good as the people willing to do something with them. And in this case Mr. Pink has made that first step that much easier by providing this useful and integrated toolkit.

This is a book well worth your time and with motivation being a huge component of our everyday personal and professional lives it should be on the shelf of anyone looking to find that motivation for positive change.
on May 7, 2012
I completely agree with most of the information presented in this book. It should be an obligatory reading for all company executives and anyone wishing to lead or use the work of others.
The reason for giving 4 stars is that in my opinion, the author should have spent some time explaining or giving some examples, on how the "autonomy" principle can work with the employees who do not have the type of education and knowledge to be able to work completely independently, and 'own' their ideas. For example, an engineer or a scientist may develop a creative idea on how to build a new product or a technology. He needs to pass this onto people who are his technical assistants, to help put the devised model into practice. I cannot imagine how you can give a technician a map or a scientific protocol, and then tell him "this is just an outline, but feel free to experiment and come up with idea on your own on how to do it". This can work only with highly trained and/or educated people, who you can fully trust will be able to deal with the task. But having someone less experienced and qualified, play around and learn by making mistakes, while you are waiting for the results (and have other people on board who can do it faster), is probably not the best option for the companies with a competitive business strategy. Maybe the answer is in matching task level and the autonomy level with the work experience, education and the right talent? Maybe this should be the material for the Pink's next book.
on December 24, 2013
As a creative person in both my professional and personal activities I can relate to the Daniel Pink’s descriptions of what works and what fails to motivate. As a manager of creative software developers I saw firsthand how monetary incentives created more dissatisfaction to the intended recipient and more work and gaming for those who manage the process.

As an amateur portrait painter in my personal time I found that non-commissioned works are much more enjoyable and of higher quality. Being free to paint without conforming to specifications detailed by a customer allow me to experience a loss of time and as Pink refers to it ‘a state of flow’ that is not experienced so deeply on other works.

For someone looking to better understand motivation this is a good primer and as the author so willingly shares, there is a robust list of other experts that have published on the topic of motivation. If you are a leader, manager, team member or an entrepreneur, Drive is a good read and a great reference on which to build your knowledge base.
on November 20, 2011
As the title indicates, this book is about what motivates us to perform and the evolution of the underlying motivations as time progressed. The main concept introduced by Daniel is what he calls "the Motivational Operating Systems". In his own words these are "the sets of assumptions and protocols about how the world works and how humans behave, that run beneath our laws, economic arrangements, and business practices." The author then goes on to explain the progression of this operating system: "Motivation 1.0 presumed that humans were biological creatures, struggling for survival. Motivation 2.0 presumed that humans also responded to rewards and punishments in their environment. Motivation 3.0, the upgrade we now need, presumes that humans also have a third drive - to learn, to create, and to better the world."

Despite the upgrade in the underlying motivational operating systems, Daniel argues that "most business haven't caught up to this new understanding of what motivates us. Too many organizations...still operate from assumptions about human potential and individual performance that are outdated, unexamined, and rooted more in folklore than in science. They continue to pursue practices such as short-term incentive plans and pay-for-performance schemes in the face of mounting evidence that such measures usually don't work and often do harm"

A very insightful read on human behavior/motivation backed by years of scientific research. The book not only presents the concepts but also presents to us what its implications are from a management and leadership standpoint. Another great feature of the book is the summary and glossary of terms at the end. They serve as a great reference/refresher. A recommended read!

Below are some excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Carrots and Sticks: The Seven Deadly Flaws - 1) They can extinguish intrinsic motivation. 2) They can diminish performance. 3) They can crush creativity. 4) They can crowd out good behavior. 5) They can encourage cheating, shortcuts, and unethical behavior. 6) They can become addictive. 7) They can foster short-term thinking."

2- "...For creative, right-brain, heuristic tasks, you're on shaky ground offering "if-then" rewards. You're better off using "now that" rewards. And you're best off if your "now that" rewards provide praise, feedback, and useful information."

3- "...Type I behavior emerges when people have autonomy over the four T's: their task, their time, their technique, and their team."

4- "The first two legs of the Type I tripod, autonomy and mastery, are essential. But for proper balance we need a third leg - purpose, which provides a context for its two mates. Autonomous people working toward mastery perform at very high levels. But those who do so in the service of some greater objective can achieve even more. The most deeply motivated people - not to mention those are most productive and satisfied - hitch their desires to a cause larger than themselves."

5- "Motivation 2.0 centered on profit maximization. Motivation 3.0 doesn't reject profits, but it places equal emphasis on purpose maximization."

6- "So, in the end, repairing the mismatch and bringing our understanding of motivation into the twenty-first century is more than an essential move for business. It's an affirmation of our humanity."

7- "When it comes to motivation, there's a gap between what science knows and what business does. Our current business operating system - which is built around external, carrot-and-stick motivators - doesn't work and often does harm. We need an upgrade. And the science shows the way. This new approach has three essential elements: (1) Autonomy - the desire to direct our own lives; (2) Mastery - the urge to get better and better at something that matters; and (3) Purpose - the yearning to do what we do in the service of something larger than ourselves."

8- "Type I behavior: A way of thinking and an approach to life built around intrinsic, rather than extrinsic, motivators. IT is powered by our innate need to direct our own lives, to learn and create new things, and to do better by ourselves and our world. Type X behavior: Behavior that is fueled more by extrinsic desires than intrinsic ones that concerns itself less with the inherent satisfaction of an activity and more with the external rewards to which that activity leads."
on April 26, 2014
Pink and I are definitely on the same thought pattern. I have been wanting my company to give its employees more autonomy for quite some time now. But they'll not have any of it. While reading this book I had to give someone only a ten cent raise (at his annual review) because he had been less than a minute late 4 times over a period of six months. I couldn't believe I was not aloud to give him any more.

The old industrial revolution format of carrot and stick or to old for the connection economy. Bring on the new, better way of allowing people there freedom. We've been slaves to the system for to long time to start the conversation Pink talks about at the end of this book and bring in the new revaluation.

Fallow me on Twitter @wmichaelbrown. I don't know why other than it'll be fun to connect while taking this journey in this new world we live in. Read this book and help the movement.
on January 12, 2011
Drive isn't just about the surprising truth about what motivates us, it's also about the alarming truth about how STAGGERINGLY WRONG we have been about what we thought motivates us.

I've long maintained that there's no such thing as attempting to motivate anyone. That, motivation is self-directed. That the only thing an outsider can do is present a person with a choice and that the person then motivates themselves towards one or another decision.

However, what Dan Pink does in Drive is provide a blueprint for how to create an environment for continual self-motivation where the means and the ends are somewhat circular: autonomy, mastery and purpose.

All three are components of what really motivates us, but all three are also the means by which to help us be, do, and have a fulfilling work and life. Dan Pink doesn't just expose what really motivates us, he explodes many long-held myths about what we believe to be motivating, but actually turn out to be dreadfully counter-productive, not just de-motivating.

The good news is that these obsolete myths about motivation in the workplace are barely one hundred years old. That means that we haven't lived with them for but an atomic fraction of the human experience. The bad news is that these last hundred years have been the absolute most astonishingly productive era in human history and these myths have seemed to work well enough that they've become ubiquitous things of academia, literature, business and government policy.

Current titans of business, government and industry have built their empires on these myths because they seem to work for most people most of the time. The only problem is that they also lead to many of the business, educational and societal issues of our time which are too-easily side-stepped and ignored. Furthermore, at least two generations of workers and soon-to-be workers are rejecting these myths. Business, government, and industry will need to re-frame their notions of what motivates us. Those forward-thinking among them will become the new titans, only now, these new titans will be a more positive place to work and a more positive influence on humanity.

It's painful to look at places where I've done work and to see how deeply flawed they've been in the light of Dan Pink's Drive. So much time lost. So much unhappiness. So many unfulfilled possibilities. So much wasted.

Dan provides practice tools and guides at the end of this book to help take his investigation and put it into the workplace. I, for one, intend on being part of the new Drive. Business, government and industry can wait no longer to put the truth behind 21st century human motivation into the workplace and into our lives.

My rating is not because of the scholarly and balanced investigation, but because the urgency with which people should pay attention to the book in the business world. A more critical look at the book would find that there's more going on than meets the eye with respect to motivation.

A few times while reading, the thought crossed my mind that some conclusions are overstated, some connections are over-emphasized, and a few relationships are over-simplified. That, in short, there's often a much more complicated and complex set of interrelated attributes contributing to a situation, and, that how research studies play out don't always translate into the workplace -- where there are nearly unstoppable forces already firmly in place. In a few other places I noted that Dan paints a black and white picture of right and wrong proportions where there are often many more shades of many other colors and many possible shades situationally "right".

I believe Dan's motivation may have as much to do with jolting business out of a lull of complacency as it does with communicating new ideas. Were his book to represent all sides on each of his points, it would be too long, unreadable, not enjoyable, an academic book, not a business book, and it would have a much weaker position to stake.

Therefore, the short-comings of the book do not negate the conclusions nor the urgency with which our businesses, governments, and industries need to take a cold, hard look at how we're treating our people and begin to match our needs as humans with how we're handled in the workforce.
on September 20, 2011
Sensing lack of motivation? Possible that your current job doesn't offer the autonomy, mastery and alignment to your bigger purpose. A highly recommended read for those who doesn't settle for short term fixes and are committed to find the deeper and more sustainable solution.

In many high-tech companies, I see that all three are provided from top, but when it comes to the team level, they somehow disappear:(. My take is each individual needs to think about it, and find the closest match for themselves. End of the day You own your own career and life. Its so ingrained in American culture that sometimes hard to get when coming from another background (where autonomy is less prevalent). This book will help managers and employees to get more clarity on what they do, why they do and what else they can do to make things better.

It is the intrinsic motivation that brought the human kind this far. While most of the people are blind folding themselves with the over used idea of "more money", Daniel Pink points and brings the elephant(why more money doesn't bring more motivation) in front of your eyes. It is such an eye opener, I will highly recommend to all my high achiever clients!
on November 12, 2013
Daniel Pink researched what motivates people. His findings are that people must be paid well and be able to take care of their needs and their family's needs, yet after that, money is not a big motivator and can actually be a detractor.

Pink demonstrates that the keys are:
* Intrinsic Motivation (discussed the book "Flow" frequently)
* Ability to be creative in aspects of work
* Long-term thinking vs. Short-term thinking
* Not setting performance goals (setting goals means people set easier, attainable goals)

It is an easy read; the reason for not 5 stars is that the book could use more substance and more how to implement in the workplace or even in one's own life. Maybe that's the next step.