Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,463 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,532 reviews
on August 12, 2017
I, too, had the same problem as many others here - known good drive doesn't work when used in this caddy. In my case I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro. Disk Utility sees the drive, but won't erase/format/partition. Putting the same drive in an external USB case works fine.

I'll likely try another brand as this one seems a little too sloppy in quality control.
on December 24, 2012
Others seem to have had success with this piece of kit.
It did not work for me.
The Hard Drive was not recognized by my MacBook.
When the HDD is mounted in this sled it sticks up a bit and presses into the bottom of the keyboard.
All in all, I was not comfortable with this gadget and I was almost glad that it did not work.

If you decided to try this because of the cheap price, just be aware that you are making a bet that it will work.
It may not pan out that way.

I spent the extra money and bought the OWC Data Doubler. That was money well spent.
on January 4, 2014
This was a little challenging to install due to a screw that holds in the original DVD drive on the MacBook Pro 2011. The screw is blocked by wires and difficult to see. Once I found it, I then had a challenge of getting the screw out because you can't get straight at it with the screwdriver. Nevertheless, that isn't the fault of this product.

The caddy works great, but you should be aware that it only operates at SATA II speeds because that is what the interface for the OEM DVD drive is. A SATA III drive works fine, just a little slower. This caddy is an awesome way to add storage to your MBP though.
on January 2, 2015
Worked great! Was able to load a secondary SSD in my late 2008 Macpro unibody notebook, replacing the unused DVD drive. As usual need to be careful about working with the small Apple screws. One issue I had was ensuring that the mounting/installation of the SATA connections was solid and it was very important to screw down all the screws. Once I was able to do that the connections especially to/from the SATA controller was solid and was able to access the newly installed SSD.
on December 22, 2014
I have a MacBook Pro 5,5 (Mid 2009 Unibody 13 inch), and it fit perfectly. A few tips:
1. Keep the rear mounting bracket from the original Superdrive
2. Because I moved the original hard drive to this bay, the mounting screws had to be removed from the original hard drive, in order to use the 2 mounting screws that came with the enclosure
3. Follow the iFixIt instructions carefully, those thin cable ends, small screws, and clamps are fragile

I got an SSD, moved the original hard drive to the Superdrive bay, and moved the Superdrive external with this enclosure:

Everything works perfectly, but the enclosure required some undocumented steps.
on February 1, 2016
Fit my Early 2011 macbook pro just fine. But unfortunately the SATA connection was defective. The hard drive works in an external enclosure, so that is not the problem, and the old optical drive works fine, so I know the cable/ mother board aren't at fault. I know it works great for a lot of people, but it's a cheap product so you're kinda rolling the die as to weather or not you get a functioning unit. Put in a claim with amazon and ordered the more expensive OWC unit with better reviews. I would steer clear of this one.
on March 2, 2015
Fits my MacBook Pro (13 inch mid-2010) perfectly. If you use this on a 2010 or earlier MacBook, you will want to put the SSD in this and leave the HDD in the cushioned HDD bay because both bays only support 3 Gb/s. However if you use it on a 2011 MacBook (or is 2012? not sure) you may want to put the SSD in the original HDD bay to take advantage of the faster 6 GB/s port. You run the risk of damaging the HDD if you put it in this caddy though, as there doesn't appear to be any rubber bushings to protect it from sudden jolts.
on July 25, 2015
No complaints about this one! If want to replace your unibody MacBook's SuperDrive for a SSD, and it's one of the ones mentioned in the product description, don't hesitate. This is what you want.

The bracket hold the SSD snug and fits perfectly in the space vacated by your optical drive. I can't speak for all MacBooks, but installing this in my 2010 15" Macbook Pro was a breeze. And given how difficult Apple makes end user/after market upgrades, that's saying something!

Absolutely worth the five star review, and hats off to BrainyTrade for getting the bracket to me ASAP. Couldn't be happier!
on July 13, 2013
I have to agree with most of the one-star reviews on here.

- I have an Early 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro.

- Something is subtly wrong with the SATA pass-through in the caddy, and I can't write data to the disk (Crucial M4 512GB) when it is mounted in my computer (the caddy/disk combo works just fine in an external CD drive enclosure).

- The model I got *did* have all the required screw-holes to mount in the computer, after I removed a large plastic piece from the caddy that half-covered two of them and interfered with some parts inside the computer. Also, the instruction sticker *did* match the design. I'm guessing that buying this item will get you one of two or three models, not all of which are compatible with MPBs.

- Take the price of a #00 Phillips and T6 Torx screwdriver into account when figuring out what your cheapest option is. You may be better off buying a more expensive kit that includes them, as they'll run you about $10 more.

Summary: Probably worth trying if you're willing to take a chance on having to deal with returns. Based on the numbers of reviews, it looks like there's a 25% chance that the caddy will not work correctly, but it also costs about 25% as much as the name-brand options. Personally, I just bought an OWC Data Doubler and am looking at Amazon's return policy.
on November 19, 2013
The caddy is great, and works perfectly in my Late 2011 MacBook Pro 13".
The packaging; however, was deceiving. The hard drive does not go in as pictured at all. It isn't just an easy, "take this piece out, and drop the hard drive in" affair as the packing states.
There are four screws in which you first have to unscrew, then insert the hard drive. You then have to align the hard drive just right in order to get the to screw back in properly. Took a bit to get it just right, but I've had much bigger hassles in my life.
The toughest part was getting the original optical drive out of there. If you're looking for tips online, then I would suggest the OWC website. iFixit has a pretty good article, but BE VERY CAREFUL if referring to that guide, as there is a step that has you rip the video cable out, which if done incorrectly could cause irreparable damage to the logic board.
The OWC site has a video with a great workaround, that takes a little more effort, but a lot less skill and risk.
After getting it installed, it was all good to go, and I've never loved my Mac more!