Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on February 20, 2012
This book is thorough but if you are new, brand new, to the concept of web development or anything internet-related, you're gonna be lost.

I found it confusing with the way the authors word sentences; they're redundant, confusing, and presumptuous.

In chapter 2, they explain how to change a widget type. Then in chapter 3, they have you change a widget type as an activity...but you just learned how to do that!

If you're a beginner, the jargon is going to throw you off big time. In my class, the book lost so many students who were already confused since they were brand new to web dev.

Also, they use analogies to try to explain concepts; great, except they don't make it clear that it is an analogy. So novices might think Drupal can do things that it actually can't. Here's my analogy of their analogies:

If you want to take a shower, take a hamburger bun and squeeze some ketchup onto it. Then move the bun around on the hamburger so it gets coated in ketchup.

A person who has never taken a shower before might think it involves hamburgers, but what I was trying to do there was say that the bun is like a washcloth, the ketchup is like the soap, and the hamburger is like your skin. Without that explanation, you would understandable be lost!

If you're in a class, this book is ok, since your teacher might be able to help you decipher it. If you're learning alone...well, good luck.
on January 1, 2011
I've been working with Drupal for about a year and have struggled. Drupal does indeed have a steep learning curve. This is not news to the Drupal community or anyone trying to learn Drupal. Here is the good news. This book goes a long way toward flattening that slope.

If you've built a site with Drupal you've used CCK and Views but you might not have realized what you didn't know. Earl and Lynette have taken a straight forward approach to teaching CCK, Views and Panels (I'll get to Panels in a minute). They give you the information you need to get going while also giving you the background about why Drupal does it that way and what goes on "behind the curtain". A newbie and a more experienced Drupal user are both able to learn about CCK and Views at a level that is appropriate for them.

I've worked with Panels a little but never quite understood exactly what I was doing and why. I really worked by trial and error. No longer.

This book has helped me understand the why and how of Panels in a way that nothing else has. I will be using Panels on every project I build from now on. I understand how to use context and variants, panel pages and content panes now. Drupal's Building Blocks will be at my side. I am sure that I will be referring to it regularly.

Drupal's Building Blocks is now part of my "Essential Drupal Library" along with Using Drupal and Pro Drupal Development.
on February 14, 2011
I gave this book 4 stars only because I am pretty sure it's the only book that covers a lot of the material and I don't want to deter people from reading it. If there were other books on this subject, I would have given it 2 or 3 stars. The writers seem to have a poor grasp of the craft of writing; they fly through difficult concepts and are curiously wordy in explaining simple concepts. I bought it primarily to shed light on the mysterious dark reaches of CCK and Views. I admit that I have skipped the chapters on the low-level APIs, but, having read the chapters aimed at users, I feel that I am only halfway to being an expert, particularly on Views. The problems are made worse by the fact that, despite having been published only last month, there is no mention of Drupal 7, CCK 3 or Views 3. I think there is potential in this book, but they need to expand their coverage of advanced uses of Views, add some discussion of the new versions, and preferably bring on a professional writer to revamp the material already covered. Here's hoping for a much improved second edition.
on January 26, 2011
Wish I had read this book before 'Pro Drupal Dev' book.
A must book if you work on CCK/Views/Panel and want to master the concept.
The only thing I miss is more in-depth coverage and specific examples on Views API (ch 11). It lacks on examples/exercises on describing DB schema tables using hook_views_data(), and how to use handlers and plugins using Views API.
Views 3 will be available in Drupal 7, and depending on how much features Views 3 supports in addition to Views 2, you may need to rework on Drupal 7 for many things you learned from this book.
on September 2, 2011
Although it seems like a Drupal 7 book it's about Drupal 6.
Searching in drupal.org you're forwarded with one (or maybe more) link here, and in amazon.com this book is listed in the Drupal 7 books results.
However, if you look for a complete Drupal 7 guide, this is not a good choice.
on August 30, 2013
I learned new tricks in the first five minutes of skimming through the book, and continue to learn more with every chapter. I am not an expert on Views, and am just learning Panels. I have used several other sources, but this one does the best job of clearly explaining things.
on January 11, 2016
Happy with this product and transaction.
on October 10, 2012
If you are looking for the latest Drupal 7 info, you won't find it here. It is still a good book and you can learn, just know that certain things have changed, sometimes a lot, in the current Drupal version.
on April 1, 2011
I have just started with Drupal and CCK and that exactly what this book is about. How to cope with CCK-fields, views and Panels.
It is not a book for dummies. Drupal is a tool with a steep learning curve. This book wil helps you.
on August 18, 2014