Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 344 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 638 reviews
on May 29, 2015
It's a nicely written and fast paced drunk-a-thon which, thankfully, emphasizes how easy it is to fool oneself into relapsing. He writes with humor and one can only hope that he truly keeps the sobriety he seeks after the traumatic events of his childhood. Those details are worked in nicely, making it clear that few use drugs and alcohol to self-medicate if they don't have serious reasons, deep psychological pain. Well worth reading.
on February 16, 2016
Brilliant read. I do not think Augusten really knows how talented he is as a writer. His descriptions are so insightful, even if shocking. He has no reason to have such a low opinion of himself as it is amazing that he has managed to be so successful considering his childhood experiences. I want to read all his books. I am hooked.
on March 29, 2016
This is an excellent story about one person's journey in the recovery process. So well written and funny, and tragic, and wonderful! Words cannot do justice to the experience of this read.
on March 17, 2016
Dry wasa fascinating look into the thought process and lifestyle of an addict. It was well-written, however, I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone I know since the emotional and sexual content was disturbing at times. I found it a worthwhile and honest read and plan to seek out other books by the same author.
on January 13, 2015
An extraordinary memoir by an extraordinary American writer. If you are new to Burroughs, I'd start with "Running With Scissors" since the background about his childhood provided in that volume makes this one all the more remarkable, but nothing here actually requires that information.

You needn't be in recovery or even particularly interested in that subject to connect with this book. Burroughs makes it fascinating, and even though the mere existence of this book indicates he must have found his way out of addiction, I still found myself deeply engaged and concerned for his well being.
on July 11, 2017
a very interesting look inside the crazy life of an addict
on March 29, 2016
I just love this guy's writing! Therefore I enjoyed the book. However, it does not contain the usual amount of humor, if that is what you like. Even so, I thought it was vey entertaining and insightful. He gives a deep look into the mind and life of an alchoholic, more than you would imagine somebody with this affliction would be able to do. Also, so much to learn about his relationships with his friends. I couldn't put it down!
on August 3, 2017
Burroughs gives a fascinating account of his struggles with alcohol and loss. He writes with a dark sense of humor, giving even the most tragic scenes a hint of laughter. The author never takes himself too seriously, and as he ponders some of life's biggest questions, I ended up doing some self-reflection of my own.
on June 18, 2013
I have to say, though. This is a gay man who tells all. I didn't know it was going to be that sort of book when I bought it. Some parts of it were so great that I was tempted to put brackets around them so I could easily find them again later. He has a wonderful way with words and was clearly meant to write. Just wanted to share this one point with those who may not want to read a lot about how gay men live their lives. I'm not anti-gay, but it doesn't mean I want to know the intimate details of their sex lives. It's his book and I'm glad he wrote it so unabashedly. Just thought someone should mention it in one of the reviews.
on August 12, 2012
An old friend of mine had recommended this author long ago and I never got around to reading any of Burroughs work till now. And wow, Augusten Burroughs is a very honest, funny, no holds barred type writer! And a very good writer! He gave very realistic account of the makings of an alcoholic and what it took for him to get sober. A very powerful read for any who know or have worked alcoholic. Ultimately, he didn't want to die a drunk and decided to live his life the best way he can. If you can't tolerate reading about someone in a gay lifestyle and delivers a very honest direct look at their substance abuse struggles then this book might not be for you. I, on the other hand, really appreciated his honesty and willingness to be so open about all parts of his life.

Kudos to you Augusten for your powerful book and your honest writing ability