Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 16, 2017
I'm glad to find books in the genre such as this which shine. Anyone who read Running with Scissors, Burrough's first memoir, and enjoyed it well past the hilarious "and then there was the antique ECT machine under the stairs" line into the ups and downs of that life...well, you'll also want to read this book. It's not a 'follow up' any more than Time Regained is a follow up to Swann's Way; Dry stands related but on it's own merits. Nor is the book a 'rehab' book because it transcends that kind of labelling as well. The author doesn't have to resort to edgey posturing. Burroughs privileges us with an honest look at his life and so tells us a bit more about what it means to be human. And check out his website...: from his bio you just know there's more to come, which is pretty amazing for someone who isn't 40 yet.
on October 18, 2017
love love love him. can't stop reading his books. every time i finish one i buy another. luckily enough he has a number of them..... so i'm enjoying the run! love his humor... what an enjoyable read!
on December 13, 2016
As a sober alcoholic (34 yrs), I related to this book. It was funny and honest, and enjoyable; and I must say, tragic at the same time. Even non-alcoholics would relate to the situations, and probably would learn a lot about their friends and/or family members who have addiction problems, or maybe themselves. The book covered his struggles quite well, but it would have been nice to hear more about the author's self-revelations once he finally sobered up and stayed that way. At that point, the book ended.
on August 20, 2017
The author's story of his struggle with alcoholism is engrossing reading. Funny, yet heartbreaking. Getting dry is a long hard road. Quite a story.
on May 17, 2016
I loved this book. I loved everything about it. I have been an alcoholic pretty much my whole life,and I turned to books at a young age to escape what was happening to me at home, eventually leaving home and escaping that life by gaining my emancipation, which was kindly shown to me and explained by a high school guidance counselor. I identity with a lot of Augusten's thoughts and feelings. When I am able to afford another of his books, I will be purchasing one. Thank you Augusten for sharing your life with us! Sheri
on November 18, 2017
Like reading the mind of someone that might be hallucinating. Sounds totally impossible
on May 20, 2016
I realised, after looking through my reading history, that I'd read two books by Augusten Burroughs, and so I decided to download some samples of other books of his. This was one sample, which I then bought in full.
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's a story about a time in the author's advertising career, and his time in rehab for alcoholism.
I suppose that if this sounds interesting to you, and you like his style, that you will also enjoy reading :)
Enthusiast: Petson March 29, 2016
This is an excellent story about one person's journey in the recovery process. So well written and funny, and tragic, and wonderful! Words cannot do justice to the experience of this read.
on March 17, 2016
Dry wasa fascinating look into the thought process and lifestyle of an addict. It was well-written, however, I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone I know since the emotional and sexual content was disturbing at times. I found it a worthwhile and honest read and plan to seek out other books by the same author.
on January 13, 2015
An extraordinary memoir by an extraordinary American writer. If you are new to Burroughs, I'd start with "Running With Scissors" since the background about his childhood provided in that volume makes this one all the more remarkable, but nothing here actually requires that information.

You needn't be in recovery or even particularly interested in that subject to connect with this book. Burroughs makes it fascinating, and even though the mere existence of this book indicates he must have found his way out of addiction, I still found myself deeply engaged and concerned for his well being.