Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on December 5, 2004
I would actually give this 4.5 stars due only to the price (but they don't give us that option)

After much searching and comparison shopping, I decided on this model. My husband and I have been VERY pleased, indeed. Because of its ease of use, we've begun to drink many more hot beverages than we did before.

Things I love about this model:
1. It's not plastic. I don't trust these "heat safe" plastics. There's still a chance that the chemicals may leach into your water. I'd rather avoid that possibility.

2. It's really, really fast! Usually, I heat about 16-24 oz at a time and it really takes only about a minute or possibly two for that to heat up to a nice rolling boil. Some have complained about the noise, but I don't find it to be noisy at all, just a nice sound that lets you know it's working. Afterall, it's just the water as it's superheated and begins to move. Then there's the gentle click as the steam goes down the tube and shuts off the heating element. It's never failed us!

3. Easy to fill. So many kettles are difficult to fill or empty - the handle might be in the way or the lid is too small. This one doesn't drip, the lid comes off very nicely and stays put when you pour. Can't ask for much more than that. The handle is also very nicely balanced, which makes it easy for even people with weak wrists to pour their tea.

4. Easy to clean. We just make sure to empty it out completely after each use. If there's anything left over after we pour our cup, we dump the boiling water down the sink which also helps keep our drains free of grease. Bonus! We've had absoultely no problem with scale by using this method (and our water is rather hard). And the stainless steel exterior polishes up like a dream.

5. Cordlessly convenient! Easy to pack to the table without even needing a hot pad or trivet. The bottom never heats up, so it's safe to set directly on the counter or tabletop.

6. It doesn't take up space on the stove! If you cook a lot, you know that your kettle can get in the way, accumulate grease and just be a regular nuisance. This one is easy to tuck away to a corner of your counter, out of the way until you need it.

Things I don't like about this model:
Nothing I can think of other than the price.

Overall, I love this thing and I'm getting ready to give it to my sister as a gift*. We've been using it for nearly 6 months now and it's been wonderful. The only thing keeping me from giving it 5 stars is the price. But I think this is one time when you really do get what you pay for.

(*edit: Sister received kettle and is totally in love and since she didn't have to pay for it herself, she gave it 5 stars LOL )

REVIEW UPDATE 12/12/2012 (yes 8 years later!)
This thing is STILL going strong after 8 years of pretty much daily use. I think as long as you keep it descaled, which for us has been easy with just a rinse of cold water and maybe a couple of times of a vinegar rinse over the years, it will keep performing like a champ. The stainless steel finish is still beautiful too!

Now I don't mind the original cost. It's been worth it.
24 people found this helpful
on February 20, 2006
At first we loved the kettle. It performed well, being used 5-6 times a day. There normally is a little condensation on the heating element, but right around the time the 1 year warranty expired, we noticed more water at the base. By the time we noticed that one of the windows had a leak, it was after the warranty expired.

Dualit has one office in the United States - in New Jersey. We shipped the kettle to New Jersey, then waited 5 weeks to get it back. When we got it back, the kettle was worse looking than when it was sent. I cleaned it before I sent it, the one I got back was dusty and it smelled like glue or epoxy. They had replaced the window but even after several trial runs to get the smell out, it still had an odor and we will not use it.

The Dualit kettle is not worth the money - they offer no convenient repair service and will not replace the kettle. Let the buyer beware.
6 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on November 24, 2013
Great to have to quickly get hot water. It has great design and an automatic shut off witch is a great feature.
on December 9, 2006
Great looking kettle, lousy customer service. We had had this kettle for 2 years when the window started to leak. (We were away for probably 6 months of that 2 years.) I contact the Dualit UK who put me in touch with a company in New Jersey. They said they couldn't help, as did Dualit UK. No window replacements. No help whatsoever. Rather an expensive product for no after service!

I will never buy a Dualit again. We've had a similar problem with the toaster.
One person found this helpful
on November 6, 2004
(...)

Overall, it's a good quality product that served me well so far.

The kettle heats up quickly, automatically shuts off when water starts to boil. The transparent water indicators are great, you can see right away how much water there's inside without having to open it. The capacity is 1.5 L, good enough for a small family like mine.

The price was much higher than other comparable kettles, but it was listed as "Origin: United Kingdom", so I assumed it was justified by fine English craftsmanship. Wrong, the product is actually made in China.

I contacted the store and pointed out the error in the product origin description. I was told that the parts are made in China, yet the product is assembled in the United Kingdom.

I found it rather interesting that all parts carried the same serial number and "Made in China" sticker, which could only be attached at the time of the assembly. I pointed this fact out to the customer service rep, and it was then that they contacted Dualit and found out that the product was "engineered in Britain", but "assembled and produced in China". Yet, "it's assembled according to the standards of fine English craftmanship."

As far as I am concerned, English craftsmanship is just that -- English. If you use your name to inflate the price of the product which is made in a 3rd world country and label it as "origin: UK", it's just plain deceptive...

I didn't subtract any stars for this little "product origin investigation", but I generally try to avoid investing my money into Communist China or support any corporation that uses cheap unorganized labor to pull in the greater margin of profit.

---Update, July 29, 2005---
After just over a year of use, the kettle's dead. I wish I could downgrade this review to 2 stars, because that's what it's real rating is. Very disappointing.
57 people found this helpful
on May 15, 2005
I am from Scotland and hence drink a lot of tea, so I thought the Dualit would be the perfect kettle for me.

While working the kettle was quick to heat up, poured very nicely and looked great on my kitchen countertop. The only thing I didn't like is that it was hard to fill. At this point I would have awarded 4 stars.

However after only 4 short months of use, the kettle is no longer working. This is pretty disappointing workmanship for what is an expensive kettle.
18 people found this helpful
on October 2, 2004
I almost went for the Russell Hobbs 3103, but after looking carefully at the differences between the two I bought the Dualit.

Both have excellent reputations, but the Dualit offers a little more for the same price. It has water level indicators and power on lights that are visible from both sides of the kettle.

It's a bargain considering Amazon is offering it for about $20 less than other competitors.
13 people found this helpful
on May 21, 2007
Recently I have purchased this teakettle.

It works very nice and looks good.

Only problem I have funded, very difficult to see water level in windows.

It should have more colorful anchor or something like that.

This product is very good quality, but it pricely.
on July 7, 2008
I found the lid difficult and cumbersome to open, but persevered, because it is Dualit, and 'looked nice' in my kitchen. Within 3 months of use with only me (i.e. one person in the household) it began to leak water from the window. I am very disappointed, and would not recommend this kettle to anyone.
on February 2, 2007
The kettle performed flawlessly for over a year, then failed to completely boil water. A replacement base unit provided 4 more weeks of life, before the failure recurred.

US Customer service was a disappointment.

Recommend an alternate brand.
4 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.