Top positive review
24 people found this helpful
Expensive but WONDERFUL!
on December 5, 2004
I would actually give this 4.5 stars due only to the price (but they don't give us that option)
After much searching and comparison shopping, I decided on this model. My husband and I have been VERY pleased, indeed. Because of its ease of use, we've begun to drink many more hot beverages than we did before.
Things I love about this model:
1. It's not plastic. I don't trust these "heat safe" plastics. There's still a chance that the chemicals may leach into your water. I'd rather avoid that possibility.
2. It's really, really fast! Usually, I heat about 16-24 oz at a time and it really takes only about a minute or possibly two for that to heat up to a nice rolling boil. Some have complained about the noise, but I don't find it to be noisy at all, just a nice sound that lets you know it's working. Afterall, it's just the water as it's superheated and begins to move. Then there's the gentle click as the steam goes down the tube and shuts off the heating element. It's never failed us!
3. Easy to fill. So many kettles are difficult to fill or empty - the handle might be in the way or the lid is too small. This one doesn't drip, the lid comes off very nicely and stays put when you pour. Can't ask for much more than that. The handle is also very nicely balanced, which makes it easy for even people with weak wrists to pour their tea.
4. Easy to clean. We just make sure to empty it out completely after each use. If there's anything left over after we pour our cup, we dump the boiling water down the sink which also helps keep our drains free of grease. Bonus! We've had absoultely no problem with scale by using this method (and our water is rather hard). And the stainless steel exterior polishes up like a dream.
5. Cordlessly convenient! Easy to pack to the table without even needing a hot pad or trivet. The bottom never heats up, so it's safe to set directly on the counter or tabletop.
6. It doesn't take up space on the stove! If you cook a lot, you know that your kettle can get in the way, accumulate grease and just be a regular nuisance. This one is easy to tuck away to a corner of your counter, out of the way until you need it.
Things I don't like about this model:
Nothing I can think of other than the price.
Overall, I love this thing and I'm getting ready to give it to my sister as a gift*. We've been using it for nearly 6 months now and it's been wonderful. The only thing keeping me from giving it 5 stars is the price. But I think this is one time when you really do get what you pay for.
(*edit: Sister received kettle and is totally in love and since she didn't have to pay for it herself, she gave it 5 stars LOL )
REVIEW UPDATE 12/12/2012 (yes 8 years later!)
This thing is STILL going strong after 8 years of pretty much daily use. I think as long as you keep it descaled, which for us has been easy with just a rinse of cold water and maybe a couple of times of a vinegar rinse over the years, it will keep performing like a champ. The stainless steel finish is still beautiful too!
Now I don't mind the original cost. It's been worth it.