Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on September 20, 2016
Good book
on December 27, 2014
This is book #3 in the Colton Banyon series. He and his girlfriend were on the front porch talking when his spirit friend told him to close his eyes while the friend tells him a story (more a history) of a black diamond..long enough to grab and hold onto) and its mystical properties that most anyone who knows about it will kill to own it.

Let me tell you that I was blown away with the incredible imagination Mr. Kubicki has!! He intertwines historical facts and people into his action adventure stories. First, he tells the story of how a village of Buddhists seek out Alexander the great to take the diamond for safe keeping. There is occult magic in that village.

Then the story fast forwards to a college professor of ancient history, Adam Wesley, who was summoned to Istanbul, Turkey by devious monks to go to South Africa to steal the diamond and bring it back. His intuition told him something was not right and that they were going to kill him. Yet, he takes the assignment. This part of the story gets really "action adventure", kind of like Indiana Jones and Humphrey Bogart spy type mashup. This book had me crawling out of my skin at every twist and turn in it; it was that intense. Let's just say that man has nine lives to rival any cat. This is some of the best writing yet!

I am not going to give the story away. What fun is that? However, the next thing you know, Colton asks a question to his wife in his sleep. She answers him. And she said he only drifted off for a minute or two. Then they make plans to find the black diamond that was taken from Area 51. The hunt is on.........

Mr. Kubicki sent me a copy of this book to read and give my honest review. I am very grateful that he did! This was one hellava great book. I felt like I was there with Dr. Wesley every step of his adventure. He has to be one of my all time favorite characters, ever. This would make a great blockbuster hit as a movie!
on May 1, 2013
Book 3, in the Colton Banyon Mystery

This was my introduction to the author as well as to the series although I started with this installment I didn't felt cheated that I had missed the previous novels. This spin "à la Indiana Jones" is well done to stand on its own, a good fantasy travel through time and countries, integrating within its words historical figures and facts to pique our interest to the very last page.

Although the series is of Colton Banyon, he plays a minimal part here and disappeared in dream land right from the start. It opens when a whisper from Wolf, his ghost mentor, telling him to go to sleep while he narrates a very unusual story about a Black Diamond, a diamond that has been on earth for thousands of years with power to transfer good and evil energy to whomever possesses it.

Professor Adam Wesley soon takes center stage and as the story unfolds the professor discovers the history of the Black Diamond and for more than forty years tracks it and along his travels he meets a variety of historical people some very into the occult, superstition and sorcery, all of them eventually they all fall prey to the Black Diamond's power.

The main story is captivating enough but frankly the first chapters were too weird for me, too much fantasy for my taste. Once the core of the story started and Adam Wesley came into the picture the narration became far more intriguing. Although still highly fictional it has just enough truth and history to make it interesting. The plotting gets very intense as we follow Wesley tracking down the Diamond over a span of many years while he faces figures that made history such as Rasputin, FDR, Himmler and many more. The novel is well written, very ambitious and allows us to connect to the characters through their development.

This novel is different to the genre I usual read but I must admit to have enjoyed it quite a lot.
on December 20, 2013
I enjoyed this story and am looking forward to more. It is interesting how the story within is relayed. And what a story! I liked how the author brought you back; I was surprised too! Am curious to find out more about the key characters. They seem likeable, intelligent, and open to things that are difficult to understand - like Wolf (what!!). The relationship between Colton and Loni is cute. She is adorable - don't tell her I said that ;) jk- She's quite the firecracker... Colton is perfect for her and I admit I'm a little green with envy. The big picture story is mysterious. I'm curious to see how the author plays this out. Will there be more stories within while we figure out what's going on in the present day? I kind of like the gov't guy, I hope he doesn't end up being a bad guy (déjà vu?)...

So, I just figured out I will need to go back before I go forward with this series. No problem, this is a stand alone book. Just means I won't have to wait for the next one :)

The author provided a copy of this book to me for my Kindle. It is much appreciated, especially since I liked it so much :) Thanks!
on August 10, 2014
A mother book I couldn't put down and starting the book I had no idea where it would lead, but it led me right back to the WWII. The books I have been reading lately have been on that very same topic. Though this book and the one I read, a book or two before this, were fiction, the history book I read showed there were quite a few true events, that at times left me wondering what was real and what wasn't.. I really enjoyed Colton as a spy and then a diplomat, but I did kind of miss Loni and his "harem." I don't like the fact that I have to wait to find out what has happened to the black diamond Colton has chased, what feels like, half way around the world or more. I loved that Mr. Kubicki used the Czar, Czarina, and Rasputin in this novel. I have been fascinated by them since middle school. I anxiously await the next installment. (This book was given to me in return for an honest review.)
on February 26, 2012
This book is a diamond in the rough. The plot within the plot is compelling, easily leads the reader from one event to the next, and is strong enough to stand on its own without the contrivance of Colton Banyon and his search for Nazis. But some bothersome problems with the nuts and bolts of the writing must be addressed before this author can gain acceptance by a major publishing house.

As a reader, I was first distracted by inaccuracies of history, history which has happened in my lifetime and remembrance or about which I learned in school. After noticing several of these inaccuracies, I decided to check them on the internet. Upon verifying the correct information, I then flipped back through the book's pages, not looking for anything in particular. At the back of the book I found an Author's Note wherein it is explained that the author has "massaged" some of the historical facts in order to fit the story or to advance the plot. If the Author's Note had been placed in the beginning of the book as a Preface or Forward, much of my consternation as a reader would have been relieved.

Then there is the matter of the hero of the sub-story, Adam Wesley. The problem is not the character per se, but that he is most consistently referred to by his last name. Wesley can be understood as either a given name or as a surname. After many pages and chapters of his being called Wesley by the narrator (who, after all, is the author) suddenly another character calls him by his given name. When this first occurred, I had to look back in the book to see who this Adam character was. This problem could be solved easily by giving the character a surname recognizable as such.

More importantly, I think this author would benefit greatly by participating in a critique group and also by taking some creative writing classes. The issue here is not the creativity of the author, which abounds, but in the mechanics of writing, i.e., spelling, grammar, punctuation, usage, etc. Furthermore there was ample evidence of an overreliance on SpellCheck. In fact, the overreliance on SpellCheck may have led to many of the usage errors I found.

If the author is not interested in learning the mechanics of writing (as many authors are not), my next suggestion is that he employ a professional editor. The editor should be able to assist in tidying and tightening the writing, which assistance is greatly needed. To be published, a polished manuscript must be submitted. And once published, the editor will be furnished by the publisher.

As I said, this book is a diamond in the rough. For the sake of the reading public whose enjoyment of this imaginative story cannot be denied, and for the sake of the promising author of this work, I hope Mr. Kubicki will obtain for it and for all future works, a good polishing.
on January 24, 2012
I was a little concerned that I would need to read the other two books to understand this one, but I didn't need to! This book easily caught me from the beginning. I think this was one of the first I've read in this genre. It almost reminded me of an Indiana Jones story, and those are some of my favorite movies.
I wasn't sure exactly who the lead character was. For the most part it seemed to be Wesley, who was a very intriguing character. I like how the characters aren't perfect, and you can tell they have flaws. Also, when I began reading the story I thought it reminded me of a James Patterson novel. The vibe was very unique to get all the combinations of things I already enjoy reading or watching.
I liked how the concept was easy to follow, and the action scenes were some of the best ones that I've read. I found myself getting through the book quicker than I anticipated. The story features a lot of interwoven story lines that come together really well. The country this is set in is also interesting also, and adds to the story. The book seems to be based in the early 1900s, and all this comes together to make a great setting. My only warning would be that if you're squeamish over sexual content, there is a lot of that.
If you are into action packed fiction, then you'll enjoy this. I think the other books in the series would be great to read also, and gain an idea of who the central character is. I look forward to reading more from this author!
on February 29, 2012
Kubicki's A Dubious Dream was such a delight to read. Prior to diving into this specific novel, I was quite concerned about truly grasping the journey of the characters. It is quite evident that numerous events take place within the pages of A Dubious Dream. However, Kubicki does a terrific job of allowing the readers to connect to the characters through character development. While reading, I had the opportunity to take a lengthy, but yet intense journey with Banyon. His diligent search for the Black Diamond had me on my tippy toes and the fascinating facts that I've learned in regards to the value of the Black Diamond was quite phenomenal and an absolute joy ride. It's very interesting and somewhat comical that Kubicki added a ghost as partially Banyon's guide. Nevertheless, this specific addition has brightly developed Banyon as a character in such a mysterious, but yet intriguing way. As far as Kubicki's work, I truly appreciate his sense of literary skills. He left me yearning for more. He intellectually intertwined various genres of literature, such as: mystery, drama, history, and suspense. The incorporation of factual events was quite a sweet twist to this novel. This book is a definite must read and I'm patiently waiting for more. Bravo Kubicki! Bravo!
on January 19, 2012
A Dubious Dream by Gerald J. Kubicki is about a case that Colton Banyon has to solve, but this is no ordinary mystery. The reader sees the history behind the Black Diamond as it plays out before Banyon's eyes, as revealed by his spirit guide -- and what a remarkable history it is. Apparently, this is no ordinary jewel, which can be discovered as it is passed from one hand to another. The intellectual Adam Wesley discovers the secrets of this rock and embarks on an adventure that makes this book more of his story than Banyon's.

While reading this book, I found it both compelling and interesting enough to finish it in one sitting. However, I was left wanting more -- to find out what exactly Banyon needs to do and his role in resolving the mystery. This book could have served as a long chapter in a much longer novel, but in any case, I found it daring in the way it incorporated actual historical events into the plot. It seems to me that the author intended this book to be an installment to prepare readers for a satisfying resolution to be achieved in the next book/s. If this is so, then we can say that he was successful.
on January 30, 2012
The meat of A Dubious Dream was nothing short of riveting. I read the first 100 pages in one evening and the remaining 160 or so pages the next evening. I enjoyed the story, the plot and LOVED the history and world travel. Inside it was a great story, obviously since I could barely put it down from start to finish. I say 'the meat' and 'inside' because the prologue and bits about Colton Banyon, Loni and Wolf should be completely removed the book (in my opinion). Reading the beginning and ending outside of the dream distracts from the story and I honestly believe those parts should be shucked or at least re-written and the book republished as a second edition. Just reading the intro made me reconsider reading the book, but I'm glad I continued because the story is great. It has just enough fantasy, truth and history to make for a delicious tale that causes you to ask questions about which things could happen in real life. If possible, I'd give it a 4.75 starts as is. I know Colton is the series title but I'd ditch him or at least massage his relationship with the plot a bit so it that it helps instead of hurts.