Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Duct Tape Marketing Revised & Updated: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on July 6, 2012
Most marketing books say the same basic things using different analogies, stories, etc. Duct Tape Marketing, along with Seth Godin's books are good examples of this. What they teach is nothing new, and that's fine as long as you understand there aren't any miracles cures when it comes to a successful marketing campaign. There's only testing, making adjustments, and then keeping what sticks and getting rid of the rest. The reason marketing will never really change is because people never really change, either. What changes is how creative we can be in our presentation - making old things seem new.

If you buy Duct Tape Marketing and follow what it says, testing as you go... you can have good success. Having been in marketing for 20+ years, I can say that confidently. Most people, however, are looking for a magic bullet. As a result, they jump from book to book and course to course with a "slot machine" mentality. Avoiding this is will make your journey to the top much easier. I wish I knew this when I first started. I finally learned, though. And that's when really good things started happening.

Bottom line, if you're a newbie to marketing, this book can certainly help you. If you've been at it for some time, this book is only going to remind you of what you already know. If you're in that position, stop reading books about marketing and learn from your own "hands on" experience.
66 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2013
Here's something I thought up that worked amazing for me.

1. Start a blog
2. Call up potential businesses you want to do business with. Tell them you're fascinated by what they do and you want to interview the owner and write an article on your blog about them. Flatter them. Tell the truth, just focus on the positives.
3. During the interview the owner will inevitably ask what you do.
4. Sell yourself / service to them.
5. Write the blog. Put links to their site. They will inevitably put a link on their site to your site. Capitalize on relevant searches. SEO at it's finest.

Both parties win. I only needed to meet with three business owners before I had enough business to work full time.

See, don't be afraid to give away real secrets. Vote up if you appreciate the insight.

My twitter @jakedaywilliams follow me after you buy this book.
22 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2013
John's book is one of the best marketing books I've ever read. Being from the south where we make prom dresses and tuxedos from Duct Tape, I'm well acquainted with the many uses of Duct Tape -- from removing warts to patching boats and making clothing. So I was naturally attracted to the cover. I had never seen Duct Tape used to market anything!

Of course the theme is "Stickiness - marketing that sticks like Duct Tape." What I love about this book begins in the table of contents. John outlines the content in parts (Part I, II, III) and then leads the reader through a very comprehensive and detailed list of what to do: Strategy before tactics, Identify your ideal client, and so on...right through every single step you'll need to build your foundation. Check out the Contents for more detail. The thing is I feel like John is sitting across the table talking to me as he writes.

There's no fluff and no blowing smoke up my bum, or padding the pages. You get specific, matter-of-fact advice. There's no hype, no trying to convince or sell you anything. It's real. It's simple. It's serious advice you can use, no matter what stage of business you're in.

I love his action steps at the end of each chapter - ways you can make a difference in your business NOW, today!

He also breaks down his chapters into segments, bolding each idea or process, for instance. "Write a blog" is bolded and then there's a paragraph on that, then "Guest post on blogs," and a paragraph on that. You can skim this book (I confess I did that the minute I got it), find what you need and then read more later. I finally sat down to read it because skimming it was so damn interesting!

John gives you facts, stats and tips. You can't read this book, set it down and walk away feeling nothing. After reading it you think anything is possible.

I rank it right up there with Mike Michalowicz's The Pumpkin Plan: A Simple Strategy to Grow a Remarkable Business in Any Field and Seth Godin's Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us. John is an amazing business resource and you won't find any business book better than this one. Definitely a resource, a reference and something you want to send your friends. It's on my list of "Must read books" I tell my clients about!

You won't be disappointed!
on June 28, 2012
I had a hard time reading this book. I am not sure what is was exactly. You know when you read a sentence or paragraph and then have to go back and read it again because you realized you missed something... I was doing that constantly throughout the first half of this book. To be fair, he may have been triggering other thoughts in my head, or maybe just out personal language styles are different. John is from my home town of Kansas City, so I thought we would be on the same wavelength, but it just didn't happen.

Now the good stuff... That being said, I love the hour glass concept. I have always had an issue with the usual "know, like and trust" process for marketing. I think I lot of people buy things without those ingredients, and trusting someone doesn't necessarily mean you are going to buy. I feel like there is more in the qualification process for a buyer and a seller than just those three things. John takes it four steps further in his Marketing Hourglass concept to include, "Know, Like, Trust, Try, Buy, Repeat, and Refer." I think that does a much better job of describing a business relationship.

Most of us business owners are looking to build a "tribe" or a group of "raving fans" not just a bunch of people who trust us. I feel like if you have been in business for 18 months or so, there should be no reason to be cold calling or blowing big marketing budgets on existing products. If you are doing things correctly, you should have a loyal customer base, who is referring your new prospects. John does a good job of explaining this concept, and I recommend reading and following the Duct Tape Marketing process.

FYI - Follow the blog too. He does a great job of posting daily info and helpful hints to put this into play.
on January 11, 2013
We are new at starting a business. Our first business didn't quite take off and we shut it down. We are starting a second business and this time we did some home work. We found this book to be extremely useful in helping us get a great head start. It reads in easy to understand terms and practical examples. Great for beginners and experienced entrepreneurs.
on February 23, 2016
John knows exactly what he's talking about! He is very detailed in his books. If you what practical actions to accomplishing marketing goals AND you will do the activities as prescribed for your problem LACK of MONEY, you will succeed!
Follow John's RECIPE! He works very hard to help people succeed in business. He has humbled me and helped me become a better business person.
on May 9, 2013
When you have to fix something, you put duck tape on it and in business one place to make a quick fix is to expand your marketing campaign. In the book Duct Tape Marketing, John Jantsch shares some sure fire ways to do so.
Most entrepreneurs are task oriented and believe in their product but seldom are public relations experts. This book gives you action items that are sure hits. From discovering your core message, creating a web site, and actively following up on new leads. According to Jantsch, you should fire about 20 percent of your past customers simply on the basis that they no longer fit into the picture of your current business.
Jantsh is a serial businessman and has been able to develop an expertise in marketing by making himself accessible to the media and a target audience. This is not a one man operation but it is something that your entire team can ramp up.
John Jantsch does a phenomenal job laying out exactly how a Small Business should not only get started with the best marketing strategies, but also revamp any they may currently have that aren't getting the results they desire.

His step by step outline like style with tons of useful links makes this a book you'll want to read on your Kindle to be able to view recommended websites.

Marketing Pro or Newbies will find value in this. Highly recommend also signing up for Duct Tape Marketings email (Awesome).

Mike Kawula | Self Employed King
on August 2, 2013
I am building our whole marketing plan around this book. John has done a great job of evolving small business marketing into the 'new digital age' and provides very sound concepts and detailed ways to on how to implement. I feel very confident now that my marketing efforts will pay off using John's advice. Brilliant stuff.
on February 20, 2013
I'm finding Duct Tape Marketing an enjoyable read.

There is definitely no magic bullet offered in this book, however it is full of sound and practical advice and has covered marketing aspects I had not even previously given much or any thought to, in a way that is easy to understand.

I've recommended this book to a few small business owners and will continue to do so.