Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

VINE VOICEon January 27, 2017
Duma Key kept my attention from the opening paragraph to the very end. Typical of Stephen King books, it is written in a easy style, with language that real people would use. It also had several "take-away" thoughts, like realizing that our lives can change or end at any moment.

I bought this book many years ago and, according to my kindle read it, but I don't recall doing so. I am now spending winters very near "Duma Key", or at least where it is written to be, so thought I would read it again. I was amused to find that the main character left Minnesota for the Sarasota area, same as me. It definitely reflected both areas accurately. There was one line, where Edgar remembers putting his daughter's hair in a horsetail, rather than pony tail like we say In Minnesota, but I put that down to Edgar's problem of remembering the correct word.

I am not a big fan of gore or "woo-woo" books. Although this is based on a supernatural topic, it was very interesting and not as improbable as some other author's work.

Highly recommend, although I will never enjoy my time on the north end of Casey Key quite as much.
6 people found this helpful
on September 20, 2017
I liked this story quite a bit, and rank it among my favorites of his novels that I've read. This was written after King's own serious accident and you can tell that infuses his main character. There is less gore in this story than in many of his earlier works, and the story has a slowly building sense of supernatural mystery that I really enjoyed. The ending is typical of King's style, but I felt a bit dissapointed in that. He built such an intriguing mystery around an evil force but the evil itself was not explained in a way that fully satisfied my curiosity. Still, it was a decent ending and I think endings can be the hardest part of any story to write. I did really like all the characters and the final scene involving the hero's daughter was very effective. Overall, this is a very intriguing story with a strong mood of supernatural mystery.
on August 30, 2017
I wanted to write a review, because those that I read didn't touch on what I found most enjoyable. It's the characters. They're complicated, knowable, interesting, admirable: all of which makes this one of my favorites - in any genre. I very highly recommend it. Itself you loved the 2 books of The Black House, you'll certainly enjoy this compelling book.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 1, 2017
Of all of Stephen King's books this one was the least frightening to me at first- I thought hey this isn't so bad. It begins with a man suffering a brain injury on construction site that leaves him unable to continue, he's also seeing a therapist due to black out spells and supreme rage. His therapist suggests a change of venue might be good for him. So the man decides to move to Duma Key in Florida. When he gets there, he discovers he has an artistic talent he never had before. Okay so none of this is scary, right. Yes that is what I thought too, this book's not scary at all. But I was wrong. It just takes awhile to get there maybe about a third of the way into the book, but then oh my lord is it scary! I loved it. i don't want to give away too much of it, but let's just say when things begin to happen like herons flying upside down over one part of the island, this is a good sign of what is actually going on here. It was so suspenseful and a great story. It was really hard to put down. And now i just discovered there is a part two to Duma Key. Wow, I've got to read it. Check it out for a good read.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 29, 2017
It’s been quite a while since the last time I read a novel on the scale of Duma Key. At well over seven hundred pages in length, it’s not a read for the feint of heart. To tell the truth, that is about the only aspect of it that seems daunting, or perhaps even a touch terrifying. Don’t get me wrong, the story is well written with a depth to it the hints at the way a painter layers on glaze after glaze of color to bring a painting to life.

There’s a hint of Lovecraft in Duma Key, in the telling and the story’s soul. It follows three distinct time frames: the story of a little girl as she’s recovering from a head injury, the story Edgar Freemantle rebuilds his life after a debilitating accident, and the time of the narrator, who also happens to be Edgar. The first two tie together in an intertwining thread that follows Edgar and the little girl’s journey to rediscover themselves, sometimes literally, through art. But both paths move past the mundane application of shape and form into something… else. The time of the narrator foreshadows, sometimes almost too much, what is to come. Of course, this is a Stephen King novel, so any mention of something happening to a character is likely an ill portent to say the least.

Overall, I would say this is a good read and would definitely recommend it. There are definitely scarier stories out there, and more horrifying, but sometimes that’s the point.
on June 15, 2015
As a reader that loves Stephen King, I especially enjoyed Duma Key. It had the elements that I look for in his works. I want to be totally drawn into the character, and to find out what makes him tick. With Edgar Freemantle, the main person in this novel, Mr. King certainly accomplished this. I am not going to write a long drawn out review, just to say that if you generally like Mr. King's earlier novels, such as "It" or "The Stand", then I think you would want to read this one. As a matter of fact, when you are finished with the book, you might feel that you know Edgar, Wireman, and Jack very well, and might wish that you too, had friends such as these three guys, who will stick with you through thick and thin. It's a book about a man who suffers great misfortunes in his life through a very bad accident, and then moves to Florida (Duma Key), and reinvents who he is through a newly discovered gift he has, the ability to paint and create amazing pieces. After that, the mystery begins. Enjoy!!!!!!
on October 2, 2016
I had this book on my Kindle for months before I got the chance to read it. It started out somewhat slowly, but when it hit full "King" it hit! Like his other books, the character development of not only the main character, but the supporting ones as well is amazing. The descriptions of what is going on bring you in and grab hold. I am glad that this was suggested to me, and that I took the time to read it.
2 people found this helpful
Top Contributor: Cyclingon November 8, 2013
Stephen King is one of my favorite authors and I personally consider him one of the Masters of Contemporary American [fiction] Literature.
I started reading his works in my 'old country' (translated). But now that I live in America and can read them in the original version perspectives changed in a truly amazing way!

I live in Southeastern Florida and have to make frequent trips to the southwestern coast of the Florida Peninsula as we have customers there. Even if the place and some facts in this novel are fictional they fit into the great picture, and I have read this book three times already. As Always, King goes beyond the simple "horror story" or "thriller". He gives a great insight in psychological backgrounds and many times a merciless but also understanding and occasionally tongue-in-cheek critique on our contemporary American Society, and this makes his supra-natural oriented horror stories so haunting: They are based in every day's reality! This book is no exception. Great read.
3 people found this helpful
on August 27, 2017
King takes a detour down south for this one. A somber, yet thrilling page turner and an absolute must have for any Constant Reader! I read "Duma Key" when it was released and twice since then. Truly, one of Mr. King's lesser known triumphs imo.
2 people found this helpful
on March 20, 2016
My dad bought this book when it first came out. It has been sitting on the shelf. My girlfriend had picked it out to be the next book to read by Stephen King. And let me tell you I can't thank her enough. I went on a trip and took it to read on the plane. I was hooked after the first twenty pages. Just an all around amazing story. i love the heart that he puts in it, where you just really root for the hero. And his friend is just awesome. I could almost see the paintings in my head. And he throws enough horror in it for his hardcore fans. I cant say enough about this book. Just awesome thank you Mr.King!!!!!!!