Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 27, 2017
King takes a detour down south for this one. A somber, yet thrilling page turner and an absolute must have for any Constant Reader! I read "Duma Key" when it was released and twice since then. Truly, one of Mr. King's lesser known triumphs imo.
2 helpful votes
on November 8, 2017
I bought this as a gift for me son. It arrived perfectly packaged. I haven’t given it to him yet. He’s an avid Stephen King fan. He asked for this book in paperback, so I can’t imagine that he won’t like it. I’ll update this review later after he reads it.
on November 15, 2016
For me, King has always had great character development and a superior ability to tell a story. This book is no exception. It's scary, it's well written and it keeps you interested. My only gripe is it is a little hard to follow at times with the "How to draw a picture" chapters. However, it's still a great book.
on November 30, 2014
I like painting, and I could relate to the mysticism of the art form explored here. King has explored writing more than a few times in the past, and painting is a lot like it really. With different technical aspects. The source of the muse is where supernatural comes in and that is dealt with exceptionally well.

The supernatural component, though it exists throughout the book, the horror is not so on the face. Instead we get to spend a lot more time with Edgar Fremantle and wireman, two of the most colorful characters in king's universe. The rise of their friendship is palpable and lends almost a sitcom like feel-goodness to the plot, which feels surreal considering the grimness that we know is coming.

The ending is sort of simplistic, but it's all right. I wish the villain was a stronger and not quite as easy to overcome. But it's a nice change to the otherwise elaborate ruses to defeat the supernatural

Overall, this is one of the better king books for me.
on August 28, 2017
There was too much of 'if this person or thing had this ability why didn't they just do this?' left unexplained. Wasn't riveting and/or page turner and I enjoyed the middle of the book more than the end.
on November 17, 2012
This was a very enjoyable read. This book almost has a relaxed feel to it. Don't mistake that for boring. I was fully immersed in the book world, but in a way that left me feeling relaxed for the first 2/3rds of the book. It was refreshing.

Still, it is a Stephen King book. It's full of heavy handed premonitions and spoils itself in a way that only King seems to do. Maybe spoil is a bit harsh. Those mini spoilers he tends to pepper throughout his books do a nice job of pulling the reader along, but there were a couple in this book that were maybe a bit extreme and felt heavy handed.

In typical King form, he bashes Republicans as closed minded morons, while being very closed minded himself. That portion of the Stephen King formula is old and stale indeed. I could do without the preaching in his books. He's one of the few liberals I'll give a pass to though, because his stories are so well crafted. His slams on Republicans are predictable, boring, and are also heavy handed.

Doesn't sound like I'm giving this a 4 out of 5 am I? Truthfully, if he had expanded on the art section of this book a bit more, it likely would have been a five. I won't spoil anything here, but I will say that I wanted that section to go on longer than it did. It left me a bit unsatisfied with the ending. That too is typical of King (Dark Tower series, I'm looking sadly at you).

As I tell my wife though, King books are about the journey, and this one is WELL worth the read.
on July 14, 2017
This is by far the best SK book I've ever read. The story just hooks you in and keeps you there, brushing your imagination and tickling your fears.
on May 12, 2015
A horror story told in classic Stephen King style. Great read. After experiencing a devastating accident, Edgar has to learn how to cope with life minus an arm as well as a wife who couldn't cope with the effects of his brain injury. As Edgar struggles to get back to "normal" (or at least something close), he leaves his former life in Minnesota behind him and embarks on a journey to heal. Edgar moves to a remote island off of Florida where he meets an elderly neighbor and her caregiver, and discovers he has a passion for painting. It isn't long before he realizes his talent might be getting an assist from an unseen force and that's when things get creepy in so many ways.
on June 29, 2011
I have read most of King's books, and have liked more better than others. But, I think that Duma Key maybe my favorite.

I have read both the paperback and listened to the audio version (twice). Both are excellent, but in this case I prefered to read the story in my own voice in my own head. I found the story to be particularly absorbing. I read a lot, and have read a lot of books as a result, and I have found that my ability to get lost in a story has declined as I have gotten older. I have also found that my threshold for what I consider a "good" author and a "good" story has gotten much higher. Duma Key was the first book in a very long time that I got utterly lost in - in the stay up way to late without realizing it and listening to it while in the car, the gym, work, home, cleaning and even grocery shopping when my audio books are usually limited to gym and bathtub time.

I will say again as I have said in other reviews of King's book, but King's ability to create such real and down to earth characters continually amazes me. They leap off the page, they walk and talk and think and feel and I do all those things with them, every step of the way. From the very begining, I get to know these characters and care about them. He writes his characters with realism and sympathy while at the same time drawing no line and never stopping short. Every flaw and shortcoming is expressed as deeply as every virtue.

Some reviewers found that the plot of the story degenerated into the bizzarre and the crazy. Maybe it does, but I stayed on that ride until the end and loved every minute of it, and every minute seemed as realistic and real to me as the moment before. One of the things I like most about King as an author is he is not afraid to delve into the bizzarre and the crazy. He takes me places and into worlds and realms that no other author would or even could even if such things occured to them. One of my favorite books of his in the Langoliers, completely unrealistic and bizzarre, but I've read and listened to the audio version of that story over and over. No other author I've read writes the stories King writes. So, while the book does take a turn into the truly weird, trust me its worth the ride.

I also especially enjoyed Duma Key in that it was set in Florida. I have never been to florida, and have never lived on the beach, but I felt like I was THERE, with the sun and the ocean, sand under my feet and wind in my hair. And, the main characters has lost an arm, and the ways in which he has to compensate and function, what he feels and how he forgets and then remembers, is all made so real I feel like I might actually know now what it is like to lose a limb. This and other things like it from Duma Key have stayed with me long after I've put it down and keep me coming back. I am actually on here today to order the Kindle rendition so I can always have it available when ever I want to return.
2 helpful votes
on September 3, 2016
This is classic Stephen King. Scary, but it also says much about how people overcome tragedy in their lives And the meaning of friendship.
Living in Florida, I can well relate to the our "Keys" , wild, beautiful and at times mysterious.
I would recommended this to anyone that loves a good King novel.