Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 759 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,394 reviews
on October 2, 2016
I had this book on my Kindle for months before I got the chance to read it. It started out somewhat slowly, but when it hit full "King" it hit! Like his other books, the character development of not only the main character, but the supporting ones as well is amazing. The descriptions of what is going on bring you in and grab hold. I am glad that this was suggested to me, and that I took the time to read it.
on November 15, 2016
For me, King has always had great character development and a superior ability to tell a story. This book is no exception. It's scary, it's well written and it keeps you interested. My only gripe is it is a little hard to follow at times with the "How to draw a picture" chapters. However, it's still a great book.
on September 29, 2016
Duma Key is one of my favorite King books. He employs his vast talent to intimately define the characters of the three friends that enjoyably unfolds in a low-key way during the first three-quarters of the book. The final quarter of the book is much faster paced as the trio struggles against dwindling daylight and difficult odds to contain the evil force that has invaded their lives.
on November 30, 2014
I like painting, and I could relate to the mysticism of the art form explored here. King has explored writing more than a few times in the past, and painting is a lot like it really. With different technical aspects. The source of the muse is where supernatural comes in and that is dealt with exceptionally well.

The supernatural component, though it exists throughout the book, the horror is not so on the face. Instead we get to spend a lot more time with Edgar Fremantle and wireman, two of the most colorful characters in king's universe. The rise of their friendship is palpable and lends almost a sitcom like feel-goodness to the plot, which feels surreal considering the grimness that we know is coming.

The ending is sort of simplistic, but it's all right. I wish the villain was a stronger and not quite as easy to overcome. But it's a nice change to the otherwise elaborate ruses to defeat the supernatural

Overall, this is one of the better king books for me.
on March 20, 2016
My dad bought this book when it first came out. It has been sitting on the shelf. My girlfriend had picked it out to be the next book to read by Stephen King. And let me tell you I can't thank her enough. I went on a trip and took it to read on the plane. I was hooked after the first twenty pages. Just an all around amazing story. i love the heart that he puts in it, where you just really root for the hero. And his friend is just awesome. I could almost see the paintings in my head. And he throws enough horror in it for his hardcore fans. I cant say enough about this book. Just awesome thank you Mr.King!!!!!!!
on March 20, 2015
I chose the book initially because it was Stephen King and for the setting. I love the Florida area, the tropical lushness so I thought it might take me away from winter while I was reading it. The story is detailed and gripping. The characters are solid and all belong firmly where they have been placed.

My criteria for a good read is one where even though I say that I am only going to read to the end of a particular section or chapter, more often than not I find myself reading on because I need to know what was coming next and this book, as do most of Kings, delivers that in spades.

I power read it which is something I haven't done for a long time.

All in all, if you love Mr. King, you will likely add this to the list of reasons why. A good read because it's a good story.
on May 30, 2014
I read this book at the beach every morning on Venice Island, which is the next Island south of Casey Key. Stephen Kings fictional Duma Key would be located in between them. The many references to local places, even the TV station SNN 6, and protagonist Edgar Freemantle's Favorite Rock radio station "100.7 The Bone"(unfortunately now talk radio) made reading Duma Key even more fun and scary. One thing that got me a little angry at Edgar was that he dissed our local art festivals (Venice and Sarasota) a couple of times. I hope it's not King's true opinion of our "sidewalk art shows" as he wrote it, but if your extremely rich you can afford to buy only master pieces.
Stephen King creates stories and characters that are so realistic at first, like buying a fan at Dan's Fan City or eating at Ophelia's restaurant. Fully aware that the story is fictional, you settle in to reading about normal people and places, your mind is tricked into believing the story to be true. Then King introduces the supernatural into the scenario, and your mind excepts it as real. You don't say, hey this is BS, heron's can't fly upside down, and four year old little girls can't bite your fingers off and drag you screaming into the sea. Instead it scares the crap out of you.
I have read some reviews that said Duma Key wasn't King's Best work. Who cares, I loved this book and was sad when I was finished reading the 700+ pages.
on March 2, 2017
Hmmm, what should I say about this novel, Duma Key by Stephen King? Shall we see…

The Ugly: It takes a long, long time to get into the main point of the story. The first half is all about how Edgar comes out of his shell. You really don’t find out what draw him to Duma Key much too late in the novel. That just kind of bothers me for some reason, but it does.

The Bad: You know how some people complained about The Stand having too many characters? Well, I think this book is the direct opposite. I don’t think there are enough characters. There could have at least five more characters to this story to help out. In what way? Who I am to tell Sai King how to write his characters? It’s just something that I find a bit daunting about this book.

The Good: The point of view on this book was the right way to go. As I said above in the ugly, the story is really all about Edgar and his recovery. Him telling the story was the only way to get the story down.

Final Thoughts: This is a book that does take a bit to get into, but it is worth it once the story starts rolling. And that is the only reason I gave this book a four instead of a five. There really isn’t anything else wrong with the book other than the pacing for the first half. Give this book a high priority on your reading list.
on April 11, 2015
I had read this book before and enjoyed it several years ago. I enjoyed it just as much reading it again. Very few of Kings books have I not liked. This one is enthralling from the first page to the last. Stephen Kings books are just like a bag of potato chips, you can't read just one. Enjoy.
on August 16, 2014
Hope for a few rainy days, or a case of mild flu so you can call off work for a day to read this cover to cover. I'm a King fan like so many and this book is good or better than his best from the pre-accident days. I think part of the 100 percent enjoyment I get from Duma Key is the fact I am the same age as King and really get all his historical references and observations on life. He describes one character as "on the neck wrinkled side of 50 years old". Just a few words that are so darn real. At the core, for me, the best King books are his buddy books. It's like you and your 14 year old best pal have to fight the evil monster alone and the friendship is that pure early kind of love. The characters in this book are adults, don't want to steer you wrong but that is the best way I can describe it, I'm no Stephen King. Geez I loved this book.