Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set: Fantasy D&D Roleplaying Game 5th Edition (RPG Boxed Game)
Get free shipping
Free 5-8 business-day shipping within the U.S. when you order $25 of eligible items sold or fulfilled by Amazon.
Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $6.46. (Prices may vary for AK and HI.)Learn more about free shipping
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 64-page adventure book with everything the Dungeon Master needs to get started
- 32-page rulebook for playing characters level 1-5
- 5 pre-generated characters, with character sheet
- Set of 6 Polyhedral D&D Dice
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Everything you need to start playing the world’s greatest roleplaying game. Explore subterranean labyrinths! Plunder hoards of treasure! Battle legendary monsters! The Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set is your gateway to action-packed stories of the imagination. This box contains the essential rules of the game plus everything you need to play heroic characters on perilous adventures in worlds of fantasy.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
This kit comes with a rule book, an adventure guide, pre-generated characters and a set of dice. After reading the material, I was able to sit down with four of my friends and we spent about 3 hours running the content. I was a little nervous at first, as was one of our players, but soon we were all laughing and having a gripping adventure.
I would say that this is a superb place to start learning the D&D 5th Edition system.
As a caution, this set is a bit of a gateway drug. It wasn't long before we bought the kids (1) extra dice; (2) the player's manual; and (3) monster manual. All of those were also worthwhile, though they aren't necessary to enjoy the starter set. Our house DM also bought the DM's guide, and the consensus is that it's not worth it for us beginners. I hope your family has as much fun as mine!
Update - agree with other reviewers that, although it's not necessary to start play, everyone will benefit from (1) finding or buying either some form of token (chess pieces, checkers, coins, other game pieces) or miniature figures to represent the players and their foes, and (2) large-format drawing paper or a dry-erase grid to place the figures and map your environments as you go. In this sense the game is definitely a gateway drug as someone else said, because there are so many accessories available to enhance the experience and you will soon find the urge to buy them irresistible!
The materials provided in this kit give you everything you need to get started with a real Dungeons and Dragons game - the player rules are a brief introduction to the full DnD rules, the adventure provided is pretty lengthy, and the dice are of good quality. I picked this up and started a game that lasted a summer. It was tremendous fun, and having such a cheap yet easy aid to get started with Dungeons and Dragons was supremely useful.
That having been said, I have a few small concerns -
1. The adventure provided with the guide is fairly generic. There are few epic conquests or massive boss battles to be found here. You will certainly want to pick up another adventure once you're done with this one - I might recommend Storm Kings' Thunder.
2. The options for characters provided are very limited. This is done to get you to buy the players handbook, which has the full class creation guidelines and such. Using pre-generated characters might be good for a quick pickup, but let me tell you that creating and playing as your own characters are a good portion of the fun.
3. As a DM who prefers visual aids, with tokens and maps, the adventure guide tells you not to show the characters the map provided in the book, and does NOT provide any maps or tokens for players (something the pathfinder starter kit does, IIRC). I take issue with this - having player tokens and playing with a map are a big part of DnD, and while you can technically do without it, I strongly advise against doing so. I use a game mat on which I draw the areas of the surrounding area, but you can upgrade to tiles later. For tokens, I had to scrounge up tokens from another board game at the time, but I am investing in miniatures at the moment, which may interest new players down the line.
These concerns, however, are slight in terms of the value this package provides. This, coupled with the internet and an hour or two of reading, is enough to get you started down the path of DnD - a road well worn, for good reason!
Most recent customer reviews
This set is a good way to see if Dungeon And Dragons is something you like or not.Read more