Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Dragon's Crown - Playstation 3 forum

Dungeons and Dragons rip off

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 9, 2013, 10:11:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 3, 2013, 10:32:22 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 9, 2013, 10:43:44 AM PDT
S. Wang says:
Do you know how many games use character names like Dwarf and Elf, besides the character designs are totally different.

Posted on Jul 9, 2013, 1:52:36 PM PDT
D. H. says:
George Kamitani worked on the D&D games in the past and is the artist and president of the development team for Dragon's Crown

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013, 7:34:11 PM PDT
Unit543 says:
Thank you very much for the information as I respect his work and will be buying this. I know the wizard is a spitting image from the classic d and d I'm sure you agree. Again thanks for the info,very excited to see his work again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013, 3:15:17 PM PDT
Some Guy says:
The game definitely has a D&D feel and that's not bad at all, it also has hints of Gauntlet and Golden Axe. I think it's really going to do fairly well even in a time period where there aren't as many games like this anymore (ie...genesis days: golden axe, streets of rage etc).

The developer rep also said it pay homeage to Frazetta, the Godfather of fantasy art!

Posted on Aug 3, 2013, 9:10:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2013, 10:47:34 AM PDT
Ted B. says:
As others have said, George Kamitani worked on Dungeons and Dragons. The characters aren't actually rip offs of Dungeons and Dragons characters... they're traditional European, high-fantasy archetypes pioneered by great literature and artwork throughout the last few centuries of human history, as medieval and dark age tropes began to be romanticized in works of fiction, and culturally entrenched lore took on new life within written mediums. What you're supposing would be analogous to suing an artist for creating their own rendition of Jesus or Santa Claus.

The beat 'em up RPG is also an existing and enumerated genre, further explored and established by titles like Guardian Heroes (1996, Treasure) and Castle Crashers (2008, Behemoth). It's clearly defined by it's traditional 2D field of play that harkens back to the once dominant arcade beat 'em up genre's finest titles, from Double Dragon to Streets of Rage. ie: modest fighting and combat mechanics versus a series of NPC antagonists, and progression from screen-to-screen upon clearing each area to work your way towards a powerful, "boss" opponent. It's injected with bits of non-linear, flexible gameplay from traditional role playing games via story elements, statistic-based character development that alters and customizes player proficiency, weapons/armor/equipment variations that provide different benefits, questing, multiple pathways to creative replay incentives etc

Posted on Aug 3, 2013, 10:33:03 AM PDT
Unit543 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 5, 2013, 3:47:40 PM PDT
Unit543 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 8, 2013, 7:47:49 AM PDT
Unit543 says:

Posted on Aug 8, 2013, 9:59:01 AM PDT
M. Henzel says:
Yeah! Damn that George Kamitani for ripping himself off.

Oh and D&D didn't rip off Lord of the Rings or anything either, right?

Anyway, about 90% of this style of game has a Dwarf, a Valkrie, Wizard, Warriror.... Golden Axe, D&D, Gauntlet, Magic Sword.

Now I must go because this wizard needs food badly...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013, 10:20:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2013, 11:00:48 AM PDT
Unit543 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013, 7:01:51 AM PDT
L. Bey says:
says the one posting just to get downvotes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013, 9:46:30 AM PDT
Unit543 says:
I was posting stuff and still getting downvotes on legitimate subjects as you see without trying..So I did that just to please the 12 year old kids on here. Guess you can't spot facts just the ridiculousness as others.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Jul 9, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about