Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Dupes: How America's Adversaries Have Manipulated Progressives for a Century Hardcover – September 10, 2010
|New from||Used from|
"Wake Up America" by Eric Bolling
Wake Up America is a much-needed call to arms for America’s citizens to preserve and protect our country's present and future. Learn more
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Shocking reports on how Senator Ted Kennedy secretly approached the Soviet leadership to undermine not one but two American presidents
- Stunning new evidence that Frank Marshall Davis—mentor to a young Barack Obama—had extensive Communist ties and demonized Democrats
- Jimmy Carter’s woeful record dealing with America’s two chief foes of the past century, Communism and Islamism
- Today’s dupes, including the congressmen whose overseas anti-American propaganda trip was allegedly financed by foreign intelligence
- How ’60s Marxist radicals—Tom Hayden, Mark Rudd, Jane Fonda, Jeff Jones, Bill Ayers, and more—have suddenly reemerged as “progressives for Obama”
- How Franklin Roosevelt was duped by “Uncle Joe” Stalin—and by a top adviser who may have been a Soviet agent—despite clear warnings from fellow Democrats
- How John Kerry’s accusations that American soldiers committed war crimes in Vietnam may have been the product of Soviet disinformation
- The many Hollywood stars who were duped, including Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Katharine Hepburn, Gene Kelly—and even Ronald Reagan
- Soviet records that demonstrate beyond doubt the Communists’ expansionist aims and their targeting of American liberals, especially academics and the Religious Left
- How liberals still defend the same Communists who trashed Democratic icons like Woodrow Wilson, FDR, Harry Truman, and JFK—and still attack the anti-Communists who tried to spare them from manipulation
- Details on many other dupes (and dupers), including Arthur Miller, Dr. Benjamin Spock, John Dewey, H. G. Wells, George Bernard Shaw, Lillian Hellman, Howard Zinn, Walter Cronkite, and Helen Thomas
About the Author
Paul Kengor, Ph.D., is the New York Times bestselling author of God and Ronald Reagan, The Crusader: Ronald Reagan and the Fall of Communism, and several other books. A professor of political science and the executive director of the Center for Vision and Values at Grove City College, he has written for the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Political Science Quarterly, among other publications. Kengor has appeared on Fox News, MSNBC, NPR, C-SPAN, and many other outlets.
Top Customer Reviews
Communism did not know any national boundaries in the 20th century; nor does radical Islamic ideology in the 21st. As such, Dr. Kengor recognizes the overarching effect of "the dupe" across party lines in America. There was not one cookie-cutter type of dupe as Kengor relates in the book. There were those who were duped for ideological reasons, political reasons, and even those who recognized they were being used - yet persisted in their actions. Kengor's point is that people need to seriously re-examine history in light of the revelations in this book about how some of the most important people in American history have acted towards America's enemies and how, in return, America's enemies have used them.
I can't emphasize how impressed I was when I looked at the endnotes of this book. Students of history will appreciate the fact that nearly all of the sources used in this book are primary! A rare find for an academic book these days! The author gives everyone, those who will agree and disagree with him, the chance to look at publicly available sources and draw their own conclusions. As a result, I could hardly disagree with any of his conclusions. I have studied this period of history extensively and was genuinely shocked by some of the revelations in this book (the ones about Jimmy Carter, Ted Kennedy, and America's early Progressives come immediately to mind).Read more ›
Professor Kengor shows how some, but by no means all, of these "dupes" eventually came around to see - if not outright reject - the destructiveness and danger of the Soviet menace, iconic academics like John Dewey among them. Interestingly, Kengor puts to rest some of the right's recent misgivings about Woodrow Wilson - no dupe he - and shows Wilson to have been a strongly committed anti-communist long before others realized the extent of the threat the west faced once Lenin seized Russian power.
Importantly, Kengor's research makes clear that the Soviet Union's world-wide ambitions during the cold war were every bit as real, powerful and extensive as the anti-communists of the period had claimed - and that the anti-anti-communists were, at best, misguided, irresponsible and blind to what was going on all around them.
Finally, as evidenced by some of the more disturbing passages, this book is not merely some exploration of ancient history.Read more ›
There are a few surprises in this book, especially where Woodrow Wilson is concerned. Not every "progressive" was a dupe! Some of the most telling parts reveal the CPUSA for what it really was.
Kengor deserves credit for continuing the historical investigation of Soviet influence on the beliefs and actions of some Americans. Critics will accuse him of bias in his interpretations of the facts, but there is still plenty of interesting history in this book. Read it and decide for yourself.
Starting with the Bolshevik Revolution through the Cold War and right up to the present,Kengor shows to what extent Americans have been duped by America's most dangerous opponents,thus demolishing the myth about how the Left bought many axioms which were considered to be the ultimate truth.
There are many exmples given and superbly analyzed about the various dupes,among them the advisors of FDR,the Vietnam generation radicals,movie actors and other intellectuals,writers,historians and many other public figures.The duping of Americans is still going on even during theses times.
The book is extremely well-researched by a brave historian and has many photos of the documents examined-here for the first time-and should serve as a warning for both camps,the Left and the Right,about the way the adversaries of America have succeeded-and still continue-in manipulating the brains of those who are naive enough to believe lies. It is a riveting story and one cannot afford to miss it at all.
This volume should be in anyone's library under the section of: excellent and outstanding histories!!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Mr. Kengor is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Outstanding book! Highly recommend reading this book.Published 3 months ago by Chris
I have, for a long time, been aware of the advance of Communism and their indoctrination techniques. My U.S. Read morePublished 10 months ago by John Hallinen
Remarkable how Paul Kengor shows us how the compassionate left has always been easy to dupe by the hard men and women of the Stalinist left. Read morePublished 14 months ago by GIDMEISTER
Details upon details regarding the propagation of Communist public relations in the USA from 1920 to present. Read morePublished 14 months ago by Puffindoc
Fascinating read. I am really surprised that so many seemingly intelligent folks were taken in.Published 16 months ago by Bill Crowley
Every American should read this book because the majority of Americans didn't realize how serious the Communist was and still is.Published 16 months ago by Edward Haskins