Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Duracell 852-0217 MyPocket Charger for Cell Phones
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

VINE VOICEon December 17, 2008
This little gadget is a very cool idea, but unfortunately it seems to trigger a fault protection if a cell phone tries to draw close to (or more) than 5V/0.5A out of it. I tried a bunch of different HTC phones and this little device seems unable to feed any juice into it. On the flip side, all bluetooth headsets I tried charge fine.

Also this thing only works with real batteries - it refuses to turn on if one feeds it NiMH rechargeables. Tried with Sony CycleEnergy, Sanyo Eneloop, Duracell rechargeables. It only wants real alkaline batteries. That's a pitty, since NiMH batteries have a lot more juice to feed into a gadget...
on June 15, 2009
Do not buy this product. The light indicating that the charger is working only comes up about 10% of the time. When I am lucky enough that they light comes on and stays on, as soon as I connect the other end to my phone or MP3 player, the light immediately goes off. 2 HUGE, COMPLETELY UNRELATED PROBLEMS! The sign of a truly bad product. Save you're money and buy something you know will work well, like an extra battery.
on November 17, 2008
I use this to charge my BlackBerry on the go if I don't have any other options available to me -- it works very well, and you can store batteries in the device without worrying about killing them - just leave the cables unplugged. I wasn't excited about having both the mini and micro USB cables, but now that more devices are standardizing on the micro USB, I'm glad that I have it!
on May 26, 2011
I am really stoked with this product! I purchased it as a backup charger for my cell phone to use during power outages.
I researched many of these type of items and was a little apprehensive about it. But, there was no need to be! It arrived and I followed the incredibly easy and fast instructions (put in the 2 AA batteries that are provided!) and then use either the Ipod cable to charge the Ipod or use the cell phone cable (BOTH cables are provided!) to charge the cell phone. That's it! As advertised! It is fantastic! It seemed to bring up the Ipod to 100% pretty quickly although the Ipod was not completely drained. The cable provided for the cell phone is the mini port, not the micro - I don't know if you can purchase the micro cables and use it with this product - it has a DC out 5V opening for the charger (it's a small circle) and then the other side of the cable fits either the cell phone or the Ipod, depending on which cable you are using... The only thing I did think about once I got it was that you can't charge them both at the same time since the charger only has the one hole... but I don't really think that will be too much of a problem.
I was going to use generic AA batteries in it, but the instructions say to use only Duracell (makes sense!) so I will follow the instructions.. I am very happy with the product and will keep it in mind for gifts!! Fantastic price for such an awesome item!!
on February 18, 2011
I use this to keep my Garmin Forerunner 305 charged during events lastin longer than 9-10 hours. Lasted 54 hours at a temperature of -35f with 2 battery changes. Blue light goes out when the AA batteries die and need changing. What a great find.
on March 17, 2013
This is very nice and very smart. The other emergency chargers assume that you have keep the re-charge pack plugged in awaiting crisis. This takes disposable aa batteries, which are cheap and easy to get. Ideal for a backup system in emergencies.

Problems: It is, however, too expensive for what it is. Small cheap connector and a battery case. Also, make sure you know the difference between USB mini and USB micro. You may need to buy an additional cable as well! It would have made more sense to have it with a full USB since most chargers have cables to go from USB to the appropriate mini/micro and that would allow for use of a longer cable. As it stands, the included cable and separate adaptor leave the pack at an ungainly distance from the phone.

This seems to be the best, if not only, choice that I found for this task.
on July 11, 2011
The USB rechargeable chargers are great if you are near a PC, but using the chargers with replaceable alkaline batteries is better for camping or emergency situations. You can put a couple of batteries in your backpack and it will always be ready. If you need more batteries, you can buy them at any store, but you can't always find a nearby PC or wall outlet to charge one of those rechargeable chargers, and they will probably be out of juice when you need it unless you are constantly charging it.

I tried a cheaper one I found on Amazon (that was a waste of time and money) and it didn't work. This one does work. It includes 2 batteries and mini and micro USB cables. Because of that, it's actually cheaper than the cheapo one I tried first. It's simple to use, just load the batteries and plug it in. I saw an almost immediate increase in the charge after plugging it in. Charged my phone from 1/3 to 3/3 power in less than 1 hour. One charge will use all the juice in 2 fresh AA batteries, so throw a 4-pack in your backpack. Recommended.
on September 29, 2012
I was concerned with all the negative reviews about this product, but I purchased the product anyway. I am planning on a hiking trip to Mt Whitney and needed the watch to last at least 20 hours since I am using the GPS and elevation features on the hike. My Garmin watch only lasted 10 hours on a charge, so I would be without any power for the watch on the way back from the top of Whitney.

The Duracell charger that I received from Amazon was made in 2008. I first tried the batteries that came with the Duracell Charger. I was able to get a total of 13 hours on a charge from the Garmin watch- this was not enough. I tried a fresh pair of Duracell Alkaline batteries and the unit lasted over 40 hours- which is great. So the batteries that come with the unit are old and useless in my experience. Use the polarity diagrams inside of the battery compartment to place the batteries correctly and the blue light should go on.

The reason I knocked off 1 star is for the batteries that came with the Duracell unit. The batteries that came with unit need to be taken to a local disposal center. Otherwise the Duracell charger works well with the Garmin 305 Watch. There is an increase in the weight of the watch since you have to use the Garmin cradle for charging the watch and the Duracell charger. A little Duct tape seems to keep the units attached nicely together. Now my watch is ready for my hike to the top of Mt Whitney!

Actual performance on the hike: Unfortunately the Garmin locked up at the high altitude so that it did not work. I could not tell if it was due to the charger or the Garmin. Once off the mountain the Garmin recharges fine using the normal charger and seems to work. It was still a great hike.
on November 16, 2012
Just like two of the other reviewers I was looking for some kind of solution to the fact that a Garmin 305 has a totally hopeless built-in battery. These training watches are a great idea but for the fact that the built-in battery hates cold weather and, after about a year, just throws the towel in. You can't take them anywhere to have a new re-chargeable cell fitted. Garmin seriously expect you to parcel the thing up and send it back to them for a hundred dollar repair job! That's right...for a replacement battery!!! Actually, more for me 'cos I live in the UK.
I read the reviewers' solution to the problem using a Duracell "My Pocket Charger" and, having nothing to lose, I bought one. Job done! Hundred dollars in pocket.
If you've got a Garmin training watch, 205, 305 and ( I suppose) even the new 405, then get one of these now and you'll be ready for the day your watch goes stone dead after a fifteen minute run....'cos it will....
on July 22, 2011
This charger claims, in several places, to be able to charge "any BlackBerry." Not true. This device comes with an iPod charger dongle and a mini-USB dongle. Both of my BlackBerries require the micro-USB connector. The Amazon product description states, "My Pocket Charger for Blackberry & MOTO phone includes: two AA batteries, reusable charger, mini USB and micro USB connector for BlackBerry and MOTO phones, and wrist strap." The unit I received did not include a micro USB, nor a lanyard.

I like the concept so I am going to search for a micro-USB dongle.