Customer Reviews: New Duracell DRPP600 Powerpack 600 Jump Starter and Emergency Power Source
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Lady Gaga Shop Cycling on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 75 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on March 29, 2008
Bought this for extended camping trips. We frequently find ourselves at events that require camping out, and with limited or no electrical. I wanted something that could supply power to our wide variety of gadgets that we typically need as a modern family.

Put the Powerpack to the test on a full week trip recently. Through the whole week, it was used for a number of purposes. Including, recharging cell phones, camera batteries, various media devices. It also was used to power a compressor to air up 3 different air mattress (including a queen), and refill them as needed. It also ran a hair straightener and blow dryer a few times. And it was used to run a breathing treatment machine for a friends asthma at least once a day. Might have been used for other things.

The results. The Powerpack lasted through day 5 of a 7 day trip, but we had brought along a lawn battery to attach as a backup. It was simple to setup, and the provided the power we needed for the last 2 days. The main battery lasted about as long as I thought it would, so I was satisified throughout.

The reasons why it didn't get 5 stars. Two reasons, and both kinda minor. One, no way to turn off the clock. I know its not much of a drain on a battery this size, but I would prefer to maximize my usuage. And two, the power meter is no super accurate. It showed 90% power on Day 4, 70% power on day 5, only to be out of power come the morning of day 6.

To be fair though, a few things where plugged into it overnight from day 5 to 6. Those items where low power or turned off. So its hard to say if they caused the drain. Maybe if they hadn't been plugged in, the main battery would have lasted all week.

Overall, very happy with the purchase.
1111 comments| 316 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2008
An important item that the marketing materials leave out is that this unit must not be used or stored above 104 degrees Fahrenheit. There is a warning in the owners' manual about this. I contacted the manufacturer by email and asked if it was OK to store the unit in the trunk of a vehicle, which could get up to 150 degrees or so in the summer sun, as long as you let it cool down below 104 degrees before using it. The representative checked with their engineering department and responded to me that it is not safe to do so. Seems you can't allow the unit to get below 32 degrees Fahrenheit either, according to the manual. So much for leaving the unit in your car as an emergency backup.

Another thing that is not mentioned is that the AC outlets provide power that is a "simulated sine wave;" simply stated, this means it is not as "clean" as power from a regular AC outlet. Therefore, I would not recommend that expensive computers and other electronic equipment be plugged into the AC outlet. Use the 12V DC "cigarette lighter" outlet for this type of equipment, using the appropriate adapter for your cell phone or computer, and it is perfectly fine.

Otherwise, generally speaking, a good unit to have around, in your climate controlled garage, in case the power fails.
55 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Duracell DPP-600HD Powerpack does serve several uses - some of which it performs above all expectations. However, it is important to remember that it is essentially a giant battery and NOT a generator.

One of my complaints is that the unit has a built in monitoring device that provides feedback on the amount of remaining power in the battery. Unfortunately, that feature did not work on mine. I am not sure if my unit is defective... but the display console is essentially useless.

- Will power a cordless phone, modem and router for about 8 hours. We have our phone service through the internet - so when our power is out we lose everything.
- It can charge your car battery... in a pinch. I haven't tried it yet, but I am sure that if your car battery wasn't all the way dead the Duracell Powerpack could get you going!
- Nice built in flash light and radio. Not of huge use - but in the dark they are nice to have.
- Surge protector on the unit - things that pull too much juice will not even come on (like my wife's hair dryer)

- VERY HEAVY - I haven't weighed it but the Duracell Powerpack probably tips the scale at about 25-30lbs. Any many cases it would be too heavy for a women or the elderly.
- It is severely limited in the number of amps that you can pull. Again, my wife's hair dryer pulled to many amos - and therefore - would not come on. This severely restricts its use during a power outage. As a rule of thumb only low powered appliances can be plugged in.

At the end of the day - for the cost - you could throw in a little more money and buy a generator. While the Duracell Powerpack is silent and does not produces any dangerous fumes it is limited in what you can operate. My recommendation - nice to have in an emergency - but it is not a cure-all if you happen to be out of power. 4 stars.
2626 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2010
I purchase this powerpack two years ago to power my CPAP while camping with my family. I worked like a charm. It even lasted two full nights without charging. And it saved my bacon a few times jumping my vehicle when we left the lights on all night. Basically it was a five star product.

Then it no longer took a charged. I plugged into a wall socket as I have done for two years and the charging light never turned on. I even plugged it into a car through the cigarette lighter and still no charge light. Maybe the charge light is burned out? No the battery was dead.

So buyer beware. I truly loved this product, but because it only lasted two years, it deserves just one star.

Update 5-4-11. I love this product! I took a chance and called the manufacturer and ordered a new power cord. Cost $30 all together. Plugged in the Powerpack it started charging and is now working fine. So try getting a new cord if it stops charging.
on May 6, 2008
I purchased this unit with the hopes of running my laptop and a small photo printer at outdoor art and craft festivals ( of which I am a vendor)Often electricity is not available and many vendors use large generators. My needs were smaller then those vendors and I noticed a friend who kept something like this in their car and thought maybe this could work for did! it was so easy to carry to my both and very tiny and quite and sat under a folding table powering the laptop and photoprinter for 6 hours. I was very pleased that this met my needs so inexpensively and unobtrusively! Im extremely happy with my purchase and while I too noticed that one of the displays didnt work , other than that it was all it advertised to be.
on January 25, 2009
I purchased this device in October of 2008 for use on short camping trips. It worked great. . .twice. I keep it plugged in continuously, and now less than 6 months later it will not take a charge and is dead. If you read the reviews, it is not an isolated event to have the display die almost immediately and to then not charge. If you happen to discover this within 30 days you may be ok, but if not you are out of luck. I, like you, read about these failures before ordering, but I thought it must be isolated or exaggerated, but unfortunately it is true. This product is a major disappointment. If you are to risk it, buy it from somebody who will stand behind the purchase for at least a few months.

UPDATE: Amazon replaced the device for free and it has worked well since then. I guess there are a few bad ones mixed in. I have purchaseed 2 additional since then and they are very useful.
66 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2011
When I received the DPP-600HD I was impressed with the features. But, after charging as required in the manual, there were minor but important problems. #1, the radio would NOT turn off, therefore the 600HD could not be left off the 110V charging brick. #2, the led readout was defective, could not read the amount of charge left in the battery after using it. If Duracell had checked the unit before shipping it, I would of given it at least 4 stars.
Amazon was superior in their service. When I sent in my complaints, I immediately received a label to return the 600HD and a new one was being sent to me. 2 stars to Duracell and 5 stars to Amazon
Received replacement 600HD today (6/20/11). Came with 90% charge. Unit works as advertised. As someone else said, the first unit was probably sitting around for a long time. I'm razing the rating. The only reason for a four instead of a 5 star, is that I would of liked to see a direct 110V recharge cable instead of the brick.
on July 25, 2011
I use a CPAP machine at night to sleep (Dr's orders) and I am also an Asst Scout Master with the Boy Scouts and needed a way to run my CPAP machine while out on Weekend camping trips I have run my CPAP 2 nights without having to Charge it

Very pleaseed with this unit
on May 22, 2012
I purchased this battery in May of 2009, and I used it for my DJ business to operate my Bose® L1 Compact sound system for outdoor events where power outlets are non-existent or in the wrong place, and it works VERY well. It will run the L1 Compact, two wireless lavalier microphones, and a wireless handheld microphone, along with my laptop computer and the Bose® ToneMatch mixer for up to three hours comfortably. It makes no noise whatsoever and provides "clean" power for my expensive electronics. For three years, it did everything I wanted it to do!

HOWEVER... My Duracell 600HD Powerpack ran down to a zero charge a couple of months ago, so I recharged it and tested it on a very light load after it had been fully recharged. I noted that after a week of sitting, the power level dipped to 70%, so charged it up once a week just to keep it on full "ready" for any time I might need it for an outdoor event or as backup power should the power go out somewhere where I was performing. Last weekend, I performed at an outdoor wedding, and I charged the battery up to 100% and even "topped it off" the morning of the wedding. Unfortunately, the power drained out of it in less than 45 minutes of performing time, leaving me scrambling to provide power for the last 10 minutes of the ceremony.

Later in the day, I ordered another Duracell DPP-600HD to replace the dead one, and today I called Duracell's Customer Support. I explained to Brian the Tech Guy what had happened, and he said that is all the life I can expect to get out of this product: 2-3 years. At that point, the battery will not hold a charge and will have to be taken to a recycling center.

So.. today my new battery arrived, and I will take the old one to the recycling center. I know I can rely on a good two years from the product, but after that, I may need to buy my next one just in case the "new" one starts losing a charge before three years are up.

BOTTOM LINE: Great product, but life expectancy is MUCH shorter than I hoped for. If you're buying this product, you can trust it for up to 2 to 3 years, but then you need to understand it will have to be replaced.
on August 19, 2009
Main reason for getting was to power APAP when power is out. It can run my APAP for about two and a half nights with the humidifier turned off. It can only run the APAP with the humidifier on for one night (battery almost out of energy at end of night).

Have also used run an electric shaver and to recharge a cell phone when the power was out. Also, used built in radio several times when power was out. Once I used the radio alarm to wake me up when power was out. Radio works OK.

This product is heavy, but it is still portable. Someone who is not very strong might have trouble moving it. Once I took unit to picnic to run small TV and stereo. Ran them for about 4 or 5 hours OK. Only had about 10% of battery power left at the end of the picnic. Also used in my yard several times to provide power for TV, stereo, laptop computer, etc. for an hour or two.

I hope that within a year or two someone will build a better powerpack that is lighter and provides more power using lithium ion batteries or some other new source of power. Until then, this is a reasonably good product.