Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 14, 2017
This thing was on my radar since Matthew last year. I became a generator guru trying not to be disappointed and get hosed. In almost every review I found Durostar/Duromax were in the top 5 for reliability and price (that's my low bar standard).
We ordered about a week before Irma made landfall near Puerto Rico (note to self Amazon Prime can bog down during state emergencies) and received it Two days before the storm hit Tampa. Two day Prime has its exceptions. So don't wait if you really need one!
Ok, review...
Bought a transfer switch as well (Protran Reliance on Amazon 👍🏽 Pic included) and this thing powered 4 rooms (ceiling fans and outlets), fridge, tv & garage door.
Obviously not enough for AC and not everything being used always at the same time. But it kept my family sane and the food from spoiling in the fridge.
The only issue I had was (operator error) a gas leak that seemed to come from an oil filter overspill at the bottom of the unit.
Typical man, if some gas is good...overfill is the best. No. I had to siphon about a gallon out to make the leak stop.
Also called Durostar rep and they confirmed it was my error. Don't make the same mistake as me. 3 1/2 gallons - 4 tops or you'll get the leak.
Very fuel efficient as well we only went through 6 gallons (a tank and a half) for about 17 total hours of use. The box says 10 hrs per tank and that's just about right but my machine seemed even a bit more efficient (maybe because we didn't come close to max load). For reference my neighbor bought an off brand & ran through 15 gallons of gas only powering 2 refrigerators during the same outage as us! We had plenty to spare.
Overall I'm very happy with the purchase and will store this thing properly for (hopefully) many hurricane seasons to come.
Do your research but I'm sure you'll find Durostar is up there.
No issues from mine. Will update future uses and storms.
review imagereview image
2 helpful votes
on July 19, 2013
Get ready for a "Blab Cast"

I have a Honda and a Yamaha. They are both relatively small inverter units. They are very good units. I am very happy with them. I have had the Honda since 2000. No problems. The Yamaha I purchased after Sandy. I am very happy with it as well. No problems either. The other night I lost power. It is hot as hell here in NJ. Neither one would run my window air conditioner. The Yamaha ran it when I first tried it in cooler weather but not the other night. I looked at purchasing a second Yamaha and running them in parallel. That would have done it with power to spare. The cost is what ran me away. I could almost buy 3 of these for the same cost.

I started looking at the Chinese units sold here. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out most of them come out of the same factory with different names on them. Just study the pictures. So, it came down to what features I wanted.
I read the positives and the negatives on all of them. It just so happens this unit seemed to have the least negatives in my opinion. I got it today.

I unboxed it. The rear cover on the generator was pushed in. I removed the cover, straightened it with my bare hands and put it back on. I also noticed the wires are a little too close to the back cover. Nothing a couple washers to space it farther from the wires can't handle. A small design change by the manufacturer could change that! No Biggie! Filled it with gas and oil. Fired it up and after a warm up threw it on my window air conditioner. Runs it with ease! By the way the air conditioner is a 12,000 BTU SPT I purchased here. In a power outage the Honda and Yamaha can take care of the smaller things like refrigerator, TV, fish tank bubblers, lighting and the like. They are inverter generators and sip fuel. For starting induction motors you are better off with old style generators like this one in my opinion. Honda and Yamaha make the old style generator sets as well. Now go price them. Sticker shock! One might say the Honda and Yamaha units will last longer. They are built better. This is most likely true. So why did I buy this unit? Price versus performance and usage. If I planned on using the generator every day I would have definitely purchased a Honda or Yamaha. They are excellent units and have a large very functional dealer network behind them. I am only going to use this unit in a power outage. We have a lot of them down here. They are usually less than 1/2 hour. Just enough time to get the generators out started and hooked up, then the power goes back on. So why bother? Every once in a while we have a good long one lasting hours. The older I get the more I hate temperature extremes and the other stuff, like loosing food in the fridge. Any way, I figure if I put 100 hours on this generator before I drop dead it will be a lot. Do I think this generator will last 100 hours? You bet. In fact, I am very impressed with the build! I don't understand how they can sell them for this price! For what I am going to use it for? It's a no brainer to me.

One other bit of useless or useful information I would like to share. You know what kills most generators that aren't used often? Stale gasoline! All too many people buy generators for power outages, get them out of the box oil them and gas them. Start them up. Set them in a corner of the garage and forget about them. That is, until they need them in a power outage. They get them out and it's a no go! The carburetor is gummed up with varnish and won't start. If they are lucky enough to get the thing started the oil in the crankcase isn't oil anymore. Everything gets warmed up just in time for the engine to spit out something it needed. Then it's Boo Hoo Time! Doesn't matter who made the generator then. Same gas and oil. If you are going to buy this or a different unit there are things you need to do in order for these generators to run no matter who made them. You need to take them out of the garage and run them under load (50% at least) for a couple of hours at least 4 times a year. You need to use a fuel stabilizer. You need to change the oil at the very least once a year, twice is better. Don't forget to change the oil after the first 4 to 8 hours of operation. One other thing. You need to break them in. What? Yes, not enough is written about this. It just doesn't stop at getting them out of the box when new, filling them with gas and oil, starting them and putting them away. You need to break them in. No matter who made it. If you don't break them in right, again, it doesn't matter who made them the engine won't last. Start it up, load it up. Remove the load while it is still running and let it cool, shut it down. Let it cool. Repeat the same procedure over and over until you have about 8 hours on the machine. Then change the oil. Some people change the oil after four hours and then again at 8 hours. Again, it doesn't matter who made it, it needs to be done. You do it with a car and probably don't realize it. You do it with a lawn mower and most likely don't realize it. You need to do it with your generator as well. The best equipment won't last if not taken care of. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Most likely too much said by me!

I hope someone gets some good out of this most likely, unwanted wealth of information.

As for now, I would buy this generator again. I am liking what I see.

Happy Generating!

Update: July 20, 2013

As if the above "Blab Cast" wasn't enough. Here's an important piece of information. I found this out the hard way. I like to fill things up pretty darn full when dealing with gasoline. I didn't fill the gas tank to the point where it was ready to spill over. I just filled it pretty darn full. On my unit the vent for the tank isn't on the fuel cap but on the top of the tank. The hose for the vent leads down to the engine air inlet allowing the engine to burn off any fumes. What happened to me was I filled the tank far enough to the point the engine was able to suck raw fuel into the air inlet, giving the engine way too much fuel resulting in an bad situation. My suggestion? Don't fill the fuel tank much past the bottom of the screen in the tank and this won't happen to you. It won't happen to me again! Maybe a design change at the manufacturing level is needed? For me it isn't a deal breaker but for someone else it may wind up turning out much more than that. Enough said!

This unit isn't what you might say one of quieter ones on the market.

You may also want to install a small inline fuel filter. It's cheap insurance against crud in the carb.

Here's one more thing. It concerns the manual. Most of the Chinese products I have purchased come with manuals that aren't so good. I'm being nice! This unit happens to come with a very good one. 20 Stars to the writer! Great Job!

I gave this unit 5 Stars. I gave this rating with a mindset of Price vs Performance. If I were rating a Yamaha or Honda the rating would have been much different.
167 helpful votes
168 helpful votes
99 comments|Report abuse
on November 14, 2017
Got this the week before hurricane Irma and it worked flawlessly for the two days we were without power. It will likely only come out once a year for power outages and it's definitely adequate for running the fridge, freezer, and lights. Couldn't beat the price.
on August 9, 2016
Great product and price!
on January 27, 2016
Loud but works
on December 17, 2015
Works like a charm!
on May 10, 2015
Grest product works like a charm! shipping was was good as well.
on August 1, 2015
Simple to put together and easy start.
on December 13, 2013
The product works great and cranked on the first pull, but I only gave it 4 stars because of the wheel kit. It was missing the axle and one of the brackets that would have held the axle in place. Also, the instructions were for a completely different model. I called the number on the instruction sheet but after a short conversation and them taking my number to have someone call back it was pretty apparent that they had no interest in helping me since I had made my purchase on Amazon. Also, it claims to be shipped with no oil but mine had about 4 or 5 ounces of oil in it. Not sure why, maybe just the process of testing it. The tank didn't smell of gas and nothing looked as though it had been used. Overall I am pleased with this purchase...just keep in mind that you may have to make your own axle as I did.
2 helpful votes
on September 13, 2012
Absolutely love the generator runs everything in my R.V when out camping even my furnace,couldn't ask for a better product.
5 helpful votes