Spring Deals Automotive HPC Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop now TG18SW_gno

Amazing documentary on an utterly fascinating subject. I've always found that idea of climbing Everest is one of those ideas that sound great on paper as bucket listers, but not something I personally truly find to be any kind of life goal in that regard. Of course, those who actually tackle Everest have to put in the time and money and effort that weeds about people like me from actually getting on the mountain. Still, there are those who choose this as a vital undertaking in their life, but who don't understand true mountaineering and the hazards of it all - and, most importantly - why they are really climbing Everest. This doco does a great job of exploring all aspects of this issue and the consequences of ego, poor preparation, motivations, and other fascinating dynamics. And, all the while, it tells a compelling story that is - critically - composed of actual video and audio from this disasterous expediton. I've been skydiving a couple of times, and that's enough for me. The idea of climbing Everest is one thing, but this film does a great job of showing what really goes into it and what happens when you might be undertaking this quest for the wrong reasons or with the wrong group of people.
on February 11, 2016
Loved this documentary about one of the expeditions on the north side of Everest in 2006. It centers on the controversy surrounding David Sharp, who climbed Everest alone, late in the day, on one of the coldest days on the mountain. He ended up spending the cold, cold night high on the mountain. In the early hours of the following morning, as David Sharp sat dying beside the trail, thirty climbers passed him as they headed for the summit. They passed the stricken man again as they descended. As the public learned of his death, a firestorm of criticism landed on, of all people, Mark Ingalls, a double amputee who was climbing that day. This film is exciting, tragic; the footage is great, as are the interviews with Ingalls and the rest of his expedition. There are two amazing books about the fateful 2006 Everest Season -- Dark Summit and High Crimes. This film is a great complement to those books.
on June 30, 2016
I thought film this was a very provocative and insightful look at this Mountain & its climbers .Very different then the usual the tale of one persons or groups attempt of their climb, one I havnt seen before. I watched it twice actually. The fact that this is the actual footage from that climb in question makes it that much more engrossing. I understand What Sir Edmund was saying and actually agree with him in spirit. But i think his criticism was wrong,misguided & aimed at the wrong person(s).Unless you where there on "that" night. How can you make that judgement ? His fate was sealed by not having 02 & his late accent even then who knows ? The man he blamed so randomly out of 34 had to be saved himself & would may have died had it not been for his climbing companions . I do feel Tex's pain & remorse however . Watch It
on July 3, 2016
What would I have done? That's the question I was asking myself as I watched this unflinching documentary about a team of climbers determined to summit Everest, even at the risk of their lives. Near the top they encounter, coming and going, a solo climber nearly comatose from frostbite. Should they have set aside their goal to try to help him?

The answer is not so simple as it might seem. But as we are given the pros and cons of either course of action, what I found most interesting was how individuals on the team, who were later excoriated publickly for their choice, attempted to shift the responsibility away from themselves. All seemed to be honorable guys, and I am suspicious of the motivations of armchair critics who attacked them in such an ad hominem way.

Basically they were, as the Brits say, up against it. There was no right choice. In the face of that, they had to do what was expedient.

Ironically, I think most viewers will understand their choice. But the blame-shifting leaves a bitter aftertaste. This is one conquest of Everest that would not have a happy ending. In fact, for these guys, the climb's ordeal might never be over.
on February 13, 2016
In other documentaries, I've heard about the bodies that are still on Everest, but I found this one particularly disturbing. It's hard to understand how these climbers could just walk past someone who was alive and in trouble. I do understand that when you're there it's sort of every person for themselves, but I've heard of other climbers who have been rescued, and of climbers who have helped someone in trouble. Anatoli Boukreev put himself at risk when he saved three other climbers during the disastrous 1996 Everett expedition. So, it's troubling that none of these climbers did anything to assist. And, all the conflicting stories and justifications they give present an unpleasant picture of the group. Only one of them seemed genuinely conflicted about the decision, but in the end he had to go along with the others, or I suppose they would have left him behind, too. When in the pursuit of reaching the summit climbers lose their humanity, it seems a hollow achievement.
33 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 17, 2017
Very disturbing read. Agree with other postures the story jumped around but that did not bother me. Story was interesting and brought up many ethical dilemmas. A sport one would think would require teamwork seems anything but at least in Everest. Makes you think twice about the "achievement" of "conquering" Everest.
on July 12, 2016
Fascinating story. And I actually understood where the climbers were coming from, even if I didn't necessarily agree with all of their decisions--until the last line of the movie. There is a voiceover saying how Sir Edmund was correct to criticize their neglect of the dying climber, but his comments show how things have changed. "All of society has changed." Ah, so that's it. Society has changed and you're just part of it! Everybody's like this so why should I be any different? How juvenile, and how cowardly--just like their actions.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 23, 2014
I've never been to the Himalayas, but for some reason I'm able to "get" what it is about them in general, and Everest in particular, that draws people to them like a magnet. I wish I'd known about this community of nut jobs decades ago when I was young enough to have at least visited base camp or something, even if I didn't have what it takes to climb. Oddly, these stories of loss and tragedy somehow just add to the allure. An excellent read.
on January 10, 2017
This is an "okay" Everest documentary. However, there are many more that are free on Amazon Fire Tv or on Netflix. Once you have watched all the free ones, it isn't worth paying for others...you will have seen it all and it just gets repetitive.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 15, 2016
I like climbing movies; I admire many mountaineers, but this film was incredibly boring and when I gave that some thought I realized it's because this particular team (and probably all thirty of the other climbers on the mountain that day attempting the summit) were somehow able to ignore a fellow climber whom they might have been able to help. Their selfishness made the film boring to me; strange, but true. They all seemed cold-blooded, ambitious, unimaginative and egocentric -- and dishonest. IF any of them had radioed the leader about the dying man in the cave, the leader had no record of it -- but he also seemed as self-centered as the men who'd paid him $50k each to take them up there. The dying man, however, seems to have been a true mountaineer more than a consumer of mountains. Boring film about icky people. I ended up feeling sorry for Qomolangma -- and not for the first time.