Top positive review
334 people found this helpful
Weber: Eat your heart out!
on June 1, 2013
I love a good grill and I am sure you do too. My last one was a tri-burner Weber I had for about 10 years. On one of my last moves, the Weber grill broke a plastic caster wheel while moving it from Oregon to Idaho, and became loose in the back of the truck and was lost somewhere in the Cascade Mountains! For about 5 years since, I have wanted another Weber, but just couldn't see parting with $550-$650 for something like I had before. Plus, there were a few things that always bugged me about my Weber, despite its grilling perfection: These include the plastic caster wheels, the tempermental push button starter, and a poor regulator that had to be hammered in order to get the darn thing to flow propane.
So, after two weeks worth of research both here at Amazon and on other websites I learned about Dyna-Glo. With every new model it would seem they have improved from the previous models after reading scores of owner reviews. This model, the DGB390SNP-D, is brand new and I took a risk knowing that nobody else before me had reviewed it. Today I put it together and grilled my first sirloin burger. Here is my review:
1) Assembly Instructions: They are quite good. Of course, there always could be some improvement with the photos to show better shades of grey, but they were quite simple and easy to read. 5 of 5 stars
2) Ease of Assembly: This whole grill was manufactured for a single person to put it together using just one medium Phillips screwdriver. I put it together in just one hour and I was taking my time. The main grill, grill cover, burners and regulator are already pre-assembled. The only real assembly is putting the stand together and placing the grill assembly on top of it. 5 of 5 stars
3) Three Burners: Three burners are the way to go if you want even heat. Previous models of this size only had two, and in my opinion, that is doable, but its better to have three for even heat. These burners are streight burners, not the P type and from reading other reviews of that model, it had issues with hot spots. There are no hot or cold spots with this grill unless your adjust the burners yourself to make it that way. 5 of 5 stars
4) Electronic Starter: This starter is push button and uses a single AA battery (included). Its a whole lot nicer than that darn hard to push starter that my old Weber had. Its quiet, accurate and quick. You hold down the button, and it continuously sparks about every 1/2 second on all three burners at the same time. Thats a lot better than one shot like the Weber. 5 of 5 stars
5) Wheeled Casters: Two casters are turnable, the others are not, a lot like a grocery cart. Also, two of the casters are lockable as well. The wheel housing is durable metal, not plastic. 10 of 5 stars!
6) Side Shelves. The side shelves are metal and fold down for saving space. the work quite well. 5 of 5 stars.
7) Heating: I got my grill to 300 degrees in 3 minutes. The outside temperature was 62 degrees. I can easily get it up to 550 degrees in very little more time. You cant ask for anything better! A HOT grill is a good grill for searing, this does that with room to spare. 5 of 5 stars
8) Grilling Surface: These are enameled cast iron. They are awesome. 5 of 5 stars.
9) Design: The design is attractive and well thought out as far as functionality. Everything fits well, and works well. 5 of 5 stars.
10) Grease Management: There is a slide out grease tray that is quite deep that even has a Teflon surface on it. This will be a lot less expensive than buying those custom aluminum throw away grease trays for the Weber. 5 of 5 stars.
11) Temperature control: The three knobs make it easy to grill any food to perfection. 5 of 5 stars
12) How does the food taste? WOW! Everything is awesome! I am totally lovin' the grill! 5 of 5 stars
13) Shipping and packaging: It's heavy, probably somewhere between 75 and 100 lbs. Its remarkable that we get two day shipping for free! The packaging was brilliant and the box was extra heavy duty strong cardboard. There were no issues with shipping damage. I have no idea how UPS got it up my stairs to my front door, but they did. Bravo! 5 of 5 stars.
You should know that I just don't write glowing reports on anything I buy from Amazon. In fact, its pretty darn rare that I don't find something wrong with a product. The only thing I can find wrong with this is that there is no cover. I knew that when I purchased it, so I really can mark that down as a negative. Where I am at, I don't need a cover because about half of my patio has a roof over it. But I would say that there is probably a Weber cover that would work on this one if someone needed one. And yes, there is no side burner. But if I decide I want one, Amazon has small single propane burners that I could easily put on top of one of the side shelves.
Don't hesitate to buy this Dyna-Glo grill. Save your $250 and put it into the steaks and other food you plan on grilling!
Cover: If you are looking for a cover here are the assembled dimensions of the grill with the folding shelves extended or up...
Depth (from back to front) 22 1/2"
Width (from left side to right side) 48"
**** Update 7/21/13 *****
My grill is still awesome. I have found that I prefer using it rather than my stove or oven during the hot summer. Here in Idaho our summer is short, but very hot, and its a really good thing to be able to use it instead of my indoor oven or stove so that I dont heat up the condo. I still drive my neighbors nuts with the great smell of a bar-b-que and I just invite them to bring over what they want to cook. What I really like is the ability to have the temperature variance of three burners. Typically I will get the grill hot with all three burners on full for about 7 minutes, then clean the grill with a wire tool, then turn off one burner, and turn the other two down to about half. That's a great method for burgers.
I actually might purchase another one. When I am having a large group of people over, its nice to have two types of meat. For example burgers and then bratwurst. Those two require totally different cooking temps and time. Having two of these grills side by side would allow me to do that.
I just want to thank Dyna-Glow for making a professional quality product at such an affordable price.
******* Update 4/20/2015 ********
It's now been a full two years since I purchased it. I had to move back to Oregon and someone offered me $200 for it. I decided to sell it and buy another one!