Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dynamics: Analysis and Design of Systems in Motion
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 12, 2011
I was lucky enough to take Advanced Dynamics with Prof. Tongue, and he is a great instructor. It shows in this book.

3D dynamics is a fairly confusing and counter-intuitive subject, and it is fully covered in this book. There are plenty of examples that help you grasp the concepts, however the only complaint I have is the same that I have with other engineering textbook: lack of answers for book problems. While it does defeat the purpose of homework problems, it really is the best way to learn.

This book covers 3D dynamics, planetary motion, changing mass systems, the dreaded angular motion in 3D, and more. Essentially covers all of dynamics. The best thing about this textbook is that you can actually learn the material by reading the book which is more than you can say about most textbooks. Will definitely keep this book for future reference!
on June 13, 2016
Pros: The textbook provides an excellent introduction to dynamics. The book is very easy to read (although non-traditional) and has good examples throughout all nine chapters. The appendix provides useful references; the numerical integration section provides a good introduction for those who have not previously used MATLAB.

Cons: The book has no solutions provided to any of the section problems and no solution manual exists. This frustrates test practice efforts and the user has to rely upon the instructor of his or her course to provide the solutions.

All in all, this is one of the best textbooks I've read and I would highly recommend taking the time to read it while studying mechanical engineering or a related field.
on December 8, 2014
This is the worst textbook I have ever used, and I am getting my second degree now. The textbook makes simple concepts extremely confusing and over-emphasizes calculus, trigonometry, and geometry. Sometimes, the math part of a problem will take twice as long as the dynamics part of the problem. When he solves example problems, he goes about it in a completely bass ackwards way. Why make something harder than it needs to be in a beginning dynamics class? Another problem that I have with this book is that he randomly makes up his own symbols for things. They are pretty standard across the engineering curriculum, yet he feels the need to come up with his own. Hell, he even uses two or three symbols to mean the same thing in this book.

If I could give this book negative stars, I would. What kind of POS writes a textbook with questions and no answers. It doesn't matter that there isn't a solutions manual, but THERE ARE NO ANSWERS FOR THE PROBLEMS anywhere. I have no way to work practice problems unless my teacher works out each one to completion during class.

I have used a bunch of Beer books in engineering, and those are the most well written and best. They go through the problems step-by-step, and there are solutions manuals online.

I emailed Dr. Tongue several times about possibly getting the answers or a solutions manual, and he did not respond once to the six emails I sent him. Narcissistic douche IMHO. I believe that the only reason my teacher used his book is because they are friends. The other sections use the Beer book.

I cannot stress this enough.....THERE ARE NO ANSWERS TO ANY OF THE PROBLEMS!!!! This makes the book completely worthless to anyone. Talk your teacher out of using this book, and do not take no for an answer. Take it to the dean if you have to
on February 5, 2012
So... I was doing a problem, yes?

I read through the material, looked at lecture notes (which are based off this book), played with ideas. My lecturer is extremely knowledgeable about dynamics which is about equal to how well he CANNOT lecture.

So... I was doing this problem. Then I get an answer. Then I have no clue whether the answer is correct, and in turn, whether what I did was correct. And I have no way of bettering my chances of doing something right if I don't even know what the right answer is.

This book has no solutions manual. You have been warned. I suffered many a sleepless nights slugging my way through the problems in here. Supplement the book learning with as many outside sources as you can (i.e. another textbook, online sources, etc.). The way this book teaches is rather unconventional so it is definitely not for every student, unfortunately.
on January 9, 2015
Prof. Tongue is the best dynamics lecturer of the 6 dynamics professors I have had. His books are also equally good at explaining the intricacies of dynamic systems. This book is about as advanced as it gets for undergraduate dynamics, which can be hard to explain in 3D. This text has a decent number of examples, but as with any book the solutions manual (or at least solutions to every other problem) would be the greatest asset in learning the subject.

My only real gripe - and this isn't really a valid gripe as this book is not meant to cover it - is that the book teaches Newtonian mechanics instead of Euler/Lagrange dynamics. When learning at this level (especially in 3D) I personally feel that Laghrangian dynamics are the way to go.
on January 6, 2015
This author does too much joking, never gives examples of how to do the more difficult problems. I had to use a different textbook for reference.
on January 28, 2013
Whether it is a good book or not isn't the problem. I'll never be able to even use the book because I have no idea if what I am doing is correct or not, there is no answer key. Who would make a text book without a few answers, if I didn't need answers I wouldn't be taking the class.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse