Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13 reviews
on June 26, 2013
I have to say I am addicted to the Moreland Saga books. I have read every one of them...and now I am replacing my "used Books" with new ones. I'm looking forward to the time I can read them all in succession....Anyone who likes historical fiction would love these books. They are not readily available in bookstores in the USA so I am eternally grateful to Amazon for keeping them in stock and letting us know when a new one is available. I usually wait for the paperback copy and I'm on the waiting list for the newest one. I past them on to a co-worker...usually 5 at a clip ...and her husband said they should be grounds for divorce since she could not stop reading. I am very particular about books I recommend and these books are so well researched that no one could possibly call them "historical fiction tripe". I'm only sorry that Cynthia Harrod Eagles is so close to the present that there may not be more books before I die.

But there is a question....to those who have read all the books, whatever happened to the Black Pearls???????
on May 1, 2009
#6: Covers 1670-1689; the reign of James II

The Long Shadow is the sixth book in the Morland Dynasty series. I've kind of been reading this series out of order; the first book in the series that I read was #5, The Black Pearl. Book #6 focuses on Annunciata and Ralph Morland--Annuciata continues her rise at court in London, becoming a Countess, while Ralph keeps himself at Morland Place. Their lives are overshadowed by the end of the Restoration, and the dangerous reign of James II, where the battle between Catholics and Protestants becomes more complicated than ever.

This is the third book I've read that has Annunciate Morland in it, and I can safely say that this novel solidified my dislike of her. At best, she's selfish and spoiled, an indifferent and sometimes uncaring mother and wife. I liked Ralph Morland at the end of The Black Pearl, but here he seems a bit standoffish. Even Annuciata'a children are somewhat unlikable, especially Hugo. But other than the characters, I thought this was an interesting addition to the series. The Catholic/ Protestant conflict goes a bit over my head at times, but Harrod-Eagles makes history accessible once again.
on May 11, 2017
Hoped for very good condition but what I received is acceptable.
on May 13, 2013
This is the 6th book in the Morland Dynasty. I hadn't purchased an ebook in this series for some time and frankly had forgotten why I had stopped reading them. Although the author makes the books interesting enough, it is difficult reading in that some illiterate person has made numerous spelling mistakes. This makes for a most frustrating experience. Amazon should check into this. No other book or series has had this problem. It is certainly not good for Cynthia Harrod-Eagles, her editor or publisher. I am making the assumption here that the hard copies of her books do not have these errors.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2015
I love this author and most of the moorland dynasty, but have struggled with a few and this was one of them. As others have stated, the main character is not my favorite which is okay but affects my view of the story unfortunately
on October 14, 2012
I love this series of books. I have learnt more about the history of England than I ever did at school. However, my enjoyment is marred by the number of typing errors in these kindle books. It is getting worse with each new book and it is truly annoying to stop the flow of my reading to try and work out which word was intended.
on September 23, 2015
Was a great book if you've read the others it keeps you excited for the next to see what happens with the morland family.
on July 25, 2016
Great.
on June 18, 2014
I am throughly enjoying this wonderful journey through history and the sagas of everyday life for the magnificent Morland family
on August 29, 2014
The same complaint applies to this book