Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dynex DX-CVS4
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

on February 28, 2012
I bought one of these new and out of the box it didn't work. It would switch audio as it should but the video was black for all sources.
I messed with it for a while and finally decided to take it apart to see if I could figure out why it didn't work.
Being an electronics engineer, the answer was simple- each video input jack has a 75 ohm resistor hooked from the input to ground.
This resistor, although technically correct, loads down many "real world" video sources to the point that they are too weak to provide a viable signal= black screen.
The fix was to heat up a soldering iron and remove them all. They are the ones on the under side of the circuit board nearest to VIDEO INPUT JACKS ONLY marked "750" (There are some "473" resistors on the audio lines, leave them alone,
and there are also some "750" resistors on the output jacks, leave them alone also!)
Once I removed the resistors and put it back together, it works perfectly.

My guess is that for those who write good reviews for this unit, their video sources are more robust than many standard consumer devices and the resistors don't adversely affect them.
But many video sources are not so robust, and for those people who write reviews reporting black screens, poor or otherwise distorted video, etc, this is likely the problem.

Too bad, Dynex, you have a great product but due to lack of homework there are a lot of people who will be disappointed. Probably why you can find these things dirt cheap everywhere!

Have fun!
on February 14, 2015
A great, four port component video switcher. Yes, I know it does digital audio also but only via coax. I would give this five stars if it had digital optical as part of the switching but alas I had to compromise and buy two boxes to do the job of one. On the plus side, this works with my Logitech Harmony remote.
on July 27, 2013
The ratings are poor but went ahead and ordered the box anyway. The price was just too good to pass up. I rec'ed it in a few days, easy to install, takes less than 5 minutes and no tools. Worked great no issue's, just do not understand bad press. It saved me over 50 $ in more equipment.
on October 16, 2013
well..I bought this thinking that my new dvd combo vcr would still show an hd picture..but..the connections were all over the place with the rca wires and the rest of the blue green it was not a good fit for me. I also got it because I have a dynex tv.
on May 9, 2013
This works as advertised for TV's that don't have enough inputs for other devices like DVD players, VHS etc and why I bought it. Its light so somewhat hard to plug in or unplug but not that big a deal and it doesnt distort the picture as some claim either, at least not on my TV with my products that are plugged into it..
on December 3, 2012
I have been looking for a rca switch with a remote and this Dynex had one. I couldn't pass up the great price the seller was offering as I had priced it higher else where. Remote works good and I don't have to point it directly at unit to get a response. Truly a great item at a great price.
on December 25, 2012
Picked this up at Best Buy for $25, 'cause Amazon would be about $17 then with shipping+tax it would be about the same price I get it from the store. So far, this thing is working to my expectations. Remote works good and so does the switching. I got tired of swaping out cables whenever I was using a different system, so it was time for a change and thats where this lil' bugger comes in.

I tired this with sending the component signals from my PS2, Wii & 'Cube to my Component-to-HDMI converter. Some reviewers say it turns grays into whites and degrades picture quality. However, I noticed slight picture quality improvement, even when sending the signal from the switch box to the converter. Comparing a PS2 480i component signal direct from its cable to the HDMI converter, and the same PS2 signal sent to the switch box to the converter, revailed slightly improved picture quality on the latter. It is believed the switch box upconverts and deinterlaces anything lower than 480P to match the box's "standard" output signal (manual says it handles 480P-1080i input/output signals). Why do I think such a crazy thing when the box dosen't state it? Well, when I sent a Ps2/GC COMP 480i singal to the box then to the TV, the TV reads 480P. I played a PS1 game on the PS2 with this box sending the component signal, and the picture comes through in 480P (abit somewhat pixlated). Normaly if I went directly to the TV, it would leave a blank screen as its one of those TVs that do not handle 240P over component.

The Component-to-HDMI converter makes the picture darker, solving the Wiis known brightness issue, but makes low-lighted material or sceens WAAAAAYYYY too dark. While the box makes things brighter and the converter makes things darker, the darkness and brightness issues all work out by sending the signal from the former to the latter.
on November 6, 2011
I got this for $14. and for that price it is just perfect!!! Just a side note though Best buy charges about $50. for this don't buy it there. Anyways this works fine for me. none of my cables have fallen out like in the previous persons review. I love the remote. it's so convenient. This product rules!!!
on June 15, 2011
I have only one component cable going to my bonus room TV but 3 devices that I needed to hook up. This product was perfect for the task and I see no signal quality loss. As a bonus it was easily integrated with my Harmony remote.
on April 25, 2012
I bought this to connect my Wii and PS2 to my HDTV (with only one component input)
This seemed to work well, at least functioned right.

But soon I found a problem. Not sure whether it was just me, but white was over-saturated and killed most bright details.
I changed my TV's setting, but nothing helped. When I checked LCD test pattern, beyond level 240 of gray became all-white (255 being white). Not acceptable for me.
If I connect my Wii directly to the TV, there was no problem. So it must be the selector that amplified the signal beyond the accepted range.

The fix was, I tried to attach 6db attenuator on Y channel of component output and now things got better.
Although general brightness got lowered, at least, all grays were distinguishable up to 255.

Since only Y channel is reduced, colors look over-saturated compared to the luminance, so I had to reduce the color saturation setting. But still, things feel somewhat unbalanced. So now, I am thinking to try 3db one.

Other than this problem, I think this is a good product.
You can let it learn the remote code, so you can use unused bottons on your current remote to change the input.
I can now connect more consoles to my TV and still use TV remote to change the component input.