Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on November 2, 2014
My purchase is relatively recent, and I'm currently teetering between a three and a four. What I have discovered which seems like a huge complaint for other customers, is that the heating aspect doesn't seem as fast as other space heaters. For instance, I have an infrared space heater that seemingly heats up my living room much quicker. However, the infrared space heater provides a direct stream of (warm) heat. While the temperature may go up in my room according to the thermostat, if I move from one location of the living room to another (typically the loveseat which is located right below the thermostat and the direction I face the heater), I'm cold. When I first plugged in the Dyson, I was disappointed to find that it does not provide the streamline of warmth I was used to. Feeling discouraged, I started to consider a return. Then I decided to leave it on in the living room over night (turning the temperature down to 66) while I slept in my bedroom. What I found when I got up in the morning was that the Dyson does indeed provide whole-room heating, whereas my other space heaters do not. Now, it definitely would benefit from being quieter, but overall, I'm becoming more and more pleased with this purchase. The Dyson acts like more of a furnace than an actual space heater which makes it totally justifiable for the price. Although, I purchased this particular heater for a much cheaper price at Costco. I am also curious to see how this affects my electric bill, and may be updating this post when winter hits and it is used more frequently.
1010 comments| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 11, 2016
OMG - this thing is AMAZING. I have this huge room over my two car garage (about 500 sq ft) and it has 10 foot ceilings. This room is always sooo cold or sooo hot based on being located over the garage. I even brought in a plumber to see if there was an option for additional heat and cooling in the room. I have been nervous about using a space heater in the room, as it seems really unsafe. Not the case with the Dyson. It's cool to the touch and with all the amazing settings, I can adjust it to exactly what I want and not worry about a fire safety issue. It was spendy, but man. It heats up the ENTIRE room in about 10-15 mins. I never thought I would be able to get that room warm without spending 5000 or more on the process. Definitely worth every penny.
11 comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Color: White/Silver|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
 UPDATE: March 17, 2014 - Dyson has issued a recall on the entire production run of the AM05. Details can be found on the dysonrecall dot com website.

---

I have been intrigued with the Dyson Hot + Cool Fan Heater for a few years. I remember checking one out at a big box housewares store and was just thinking how interesting the design was but equally amazed at how high the price was. The design was certainly clever and modern but it was not clear to me whether the performance could equal the expecatation and cost.

I finally have a Dyson Hot + Cool thanks to the Amazon Vine program and I've been putting it through some serious testing and usage. My video review will cover most of my thoughts but I"ll highlight some of my thoughts here. After using it for nearly a year in both cold and hot conditions I am able to say it is NOT very effective as a fan and marginally more effective as a heater.

Let me be clear about one thing, the device name is totally misleading. It is called "Hot + Cool Fan Heater". It is NOT a cooler. It does not cool air whatsoever. An air conditioner cools air. This is not an air conditioner... it is a fan and it is not very effective as a fan because the air flow is simply too weak to be effective. Additionally it is very loud during operation.

I do like the look of this heater/fan. It's very modern and futuristic. Its slim design will enable it to be put in some otherwise tight spaces and will also look quite modern and elicit many comments, I'm sure.

The actual performance is poor. As a heater, it works pretty well, but only in a smaller square foot area. Since the head can oscillate back and forth, it will distribute a warm flow of air fairly effectively in smaller rooms. Normally the thermostat in my house is set to 62 degrees during the overnight. I set the Dyson Hot + Cool downstairs in the living room. The entire downstairs area is approx. 900 sq feet but but has a relatively open floor plan so about 3/4 of that square footage could essentially be considered one room. The Dyson managed to keep the temperature right around 68 degrees all night long. The Dyson temperature had been set to 70 and as far as I know, it never attained 70 degrees. I'm pretty sure it ran continuously all night long. I thought that being able to maintain a 68 degree temperature in that size space was pretty good though since it's still winter where I live and if the heater had not been on, it would have dropped to 62 degrees inside. If a smaller room were being used, it would heat the room to a higher temperature. When I moved the Dyson to my bedroom, it was able to maintain 70 degrees but each time it reaches the set temperature, it turns off. When it cycles back on, it wakes me up because it is what I consider to be quite loud. So it's not ideal in a bedroom. My Peolonis ceramic heater is just as effective yet very quiet.

As a "cooling" fan, I was not impressed. It bothers me that they call it a "cooling fan" in the first place. It does not cool air, it is simply a fan. It moves air, it doesn't cool air. There is simply not enough velocity or volume of air to be very effective as a fan. Not only that, but the Dyson is loud especially when the fan is operating at its highest setting. At the low setting it's not that loud, but then it's much less effective too. So to get a significant fan effect, you have to turn the speed up to a level much higher than "low."

I do like that the fan oscillates and also tilts. Howver, in my use of the fan, there was a significant amount of wobble in the head of the unit when it was tilted and oscillating. In fact at one point the unit almost vibrated or wobbled itself off the edge of the counter it was sitting on while I was out of the room. I could not believe my eyes. When the head is straight up with no forward or backward inclination, it's fine.

The remote is useful and magnetically attaches itself to the top of the head when not in use. But in my video you will notice at one point the remote slides off the top when I tilt the unit so the magnet is not as strong as it should be to hold the remote securely.

If you are a design forward kind of person or just admire the "genius" of Dyson, this fan will probably appeal to you. It's more flash than function in my opinion. If you're thinking that for the price it's got to be one incredibly effective fan and heater, you'd be mistaken. For the price, it's one awesome looking piece of equipment, but performance is not so hot (no pun intended.)

For my money, I"d rather buy a seperate floor standing fan, or box fan, that can really push some air and at significantly less cost. The Dyson can't even compare.

As a heater, it's pretty cool (sorry again, no pun intended) but again, expensive. I have a small, square, ceramic heater that is very quiet and effective. I think it cost around $40-50.

One worry I have and that I can't address until I've used this for a much longer time, is how much dust will collect in the air intake holes on the lower section of the unit. I've had other devices with similar looking holes and over time you get this very fine and hard to remove collection of dust buildup that would also reduce air flow. Internally dust might build up somewhere too. I have no idea how that would affect the already mediocre performance... or how to clean it. And the air output venturi would also collect dust over time and have to be cleaned.

I guess the Dyson and me aren't a good fit. It's cool looking as heck but I just don't think it lives up to my expectations of performance for something that costs this much. I can see this fitting in to certain decors really well though. And its slim design does enable it to fit in what would otherwise be tight spaces for other more conventional fans/heaters.

UPDATE: 6/3/2013 - Having used this over the winter and now during some really hot weather, I'm reducing my rating to 2-stars. For the price, this just doesn't provide a commensurate level of performance. I would not recommend unless you just want to make a fashion statement but don't really care so much about effective cooling or rock-solid mechanical performance.
4444 comments| 903 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 14, 2014
Never believed this would be worth the cost.... I was wrong.
I have used this in the winter and in the summer is it near perfect.
Could use a longer cord.
Ideal for "spot" or small room heating and cooling.
Cooling works surprising well.
Rotating motion is not intuitive, once you understand it, it is a great feature.
People with small animals and children will feel 100% safer about this than an open heater or fan.
on February 15, 2018
would never know it was refurbished (running flawlessly for about 2 years now...it's my main source of heat in the winter sometimes). I have a small apartment and this works wonders to keep the cold out. The normal heating isn't adequate in the apartment, so this is a necessity, and it runs...almost constantly...without ANY problems (the remote's included batteries haven't even run out).

Love it and would buy another if needed

Disclaimer: I don't pay the electric Bill. It is included in my flat rent cost, so prices could be through the roof, but I wouldn't know.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 30, 2014
After doing the recall, I have been happy with the unit. The fan is louder than I would like it to be but it does keep the room warm. (That was one of the selling points for the unit besides the enclosed fan) The temperature setting on the unit seems to be off or I have it in a bad location since its close to the temperature I would like for the room but the fluctuation in temperature does make the room colder than I would like it to be at times.
on December 19, 2017
I LOVE Dyson, BUT I used cool fan with no problem. Last night first time needed to use heat and now it will only do heat, no more cool fan. I'm in Palm Springs CA so using the heat is rare and sorry I did. I'd rather the heat stop working. What a waste of $388 for 5 months use! Sad :(
on November 18, 2017
This heater works great on large rooms and it is not loud! It also works great as just a fan. I will be buying more of them.
on March 12, 2015
My office is in the unheated basement. It was a very cold winter in the North East. This warmed up the office in minutes. Looking forward to how well it works cooling things down in the summer. Dyson products are often on the top edge of the price curve. To date, all of them have been worth it.
on July 20, 2016
It moves a lot of air. We use it outside near the grill to direct the smoke away from the chef and beyond the porch. No blades to become grimy or catch dogs' noses or children's fingers.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.