Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on June 20, 2013
I've used my trusty old Dyson DC07 for many years, but finally decided to upgrade to the newest model (my old one still works great, but I've been seduced by the ads showing off their new Ball technology). Dyson was having a sale on all models, so the time was right.

When it arrived, my husband put it together. I didn't hear any angry exclamations or confused mutterings from the next room, so it must not have been too difficult to figure out. I peeked at the instructions in the user manual and it's mostly a bunch of pictures and arrows; none of that "insert Tab A into Slot B" crap.

I took my new DC41 out for a test drive and I have to say that I was impressed. I did the "vacuum with my old machine and then with the new one to see how much the old one missed" test, and sure enough, the DC41 pulled up a significant amount of dust, dirt, and animal hair. (Considering it's ~10 years newer, it better outperform the old model!)

Compared to the DC07, the DC41 seemed to have about the same level of workmanship and sturdiness, but updated (the features are a little better thought out). I liked that the cord length was the same (possibly longer). The DC41 was much quieter, lighter, and smaller, especially at the front of the vacuum; this means I can finally vacuum underneath the cabinetry in the living room (the DC07 was too bulky to fit underneath). And of course, the DC41 is much more maneuverable due to the ball.

One reviewer complained that the cord must be completely unwrapped to use attachments because the top cord hook is attached to the hose. That was true for DC07 too, but at least on the DC41 you can simply twist the top cord hook 180 degrees to immediately unwrap (dump) the cord.

Another reviewer noted that the DC41 throws off a lot of heat. This doesn't bother me much, as I generally only vacuum one room at a time, but it could be an issue if you try to vacuum your whole house at once.

The air filters are HEPA, despite what another reviewer said. The manual does say that the air filters should be washed out every 3 months.

As for the accessory tools and brushes, this Complete model comes with several. Unfortunately, there's only room to store two of them on the vacuum itself. They do provide a rather nice fold-up bag to hold the remainder of the accessories, with room for acquiring more. The user manual does not explain the accessories, so here's a quick rundown:

* Combination tool - a 2-in-1 tool that effortlessly transforms from a debris nozzle to a brush tool for dusting and back again at the push of a button. This tool is stored on the vacuum.
* Stair tool - a small attachment tool with 2 red felt strips on the underside to attract pet hair. It is used for removing dirt and dust from corners and the vertical edge of stairs. This tool is stored on the vacuum.
- Tangle-free turbine tool - a large tool with 2 rotating brushes and 1 red filter wheel (?), all visible from the top of the tool. This tool is used for removing pet hair and dirt on upholstery, stairs, cars, and confined spaces without tangling up.
- Soft dusting brush - a large, elongated soft-bristle brush with clear plastic on top. It is used for dusting shelves, lights, electronics, and other delicate items.
- Stiff bristle brush - a small brush with stiff bristles. It is used for dislodging ground-in, stubborn dirt and dried mud.
- Multi-angle brush - a large attachment that kind of looks like a brush on the end of a U-shaped plastic tube. This brush is used for high-reach cleaning (ceiling fans, overhead lighting, etc.).

Basically, if you want a powerful, durable vacuum that never loses suction, then you should buy a Dyson. There are no bags to buy or replace, the timing belt is warrantied for 5 years, and the HEPA air filters are washable and guaranteed for life. It sucks well, maneuvers well, and works on carpet and hard flooring. Yes, you'll pay for this quality up front, but to me, it's worth the money to not be frustrated by my vacuum. You need the proper tool to do a proper job; it'll make your life a whole lot easier. I'm glad I bought this vacuum, my second Dyson.

**Update 7/19/13: So I've been using my Dyson for a little while now (~2 months), and I have to say that I'm still very happy with it. Even my husband, who is not prone to compliments, made positive remarks about it. My favorite features are the ball mobility and low profile at the front of the vacuum; vacuuming takes much less time and effort than it used to. A few more things I really like (not mentioned above):

- Vacuuming a room with multiple surfaces is much, much easier now. My old DC-07 had a manual switch on the base that you had to flip every time you switched from carpet to hard floors, and vice versa. My husband forgot to flip the switch most of the time; using the wrong mode greatly reduces its sucking power. The DC-41 automatically switches for you so there's nothing to remember and you can vacuum a little more effortlessly.

- The attachment hose wand thing simply extends from the base now. The old DC-07 required you to completely remove the wand, flip it 180 degrees, and then re-insert it. Using attachments on the DC-41 is much quicker and easier.

- Dyson moved the cord clip (the thing that keeps the cord from unwinding when you're done vacuuming) from the plug itself to just above the plug (on the cord). I couldn't understand why they did this until the first time I stepped on the plug with bare feet (my husband had left the vacuum unplugged with the cord all over the ground). It didn't hurt! Before, with the DC-07, the clip on the cord stuck up at a 90 degree angle from the plug. If you stepped on the plug, it was like stepping on a Lego piece - *OUCH!* Simply moving the clip to the cord itself ensures that the clip almost always lies flat in a harmless manner. Also, the plug no longer has any corners or sharp edges on it; it is round and smooth now.

These are all great examples of how the Dyson engineers are continuously tweaking and improving their vacuums. The cord clip on the DC-07 worked just fine, but had a minor inconvenient aspect that they obviously worked on and refined over the years. If the engineers were willing to put that much time and effort on such a minor feature of the vacuum, then how much time did they put into the most important features? This is a huge reason why I love my Dyson!

If you found my review helpful, especially the detailed description of the accessory tools and brushes, then please click on the "Yes" button below so it can help others too. Thanks!
1,206 helpful votes
1,207 helpful votes
1515 comments|Report abuse
on November 2, 2014
My first Dyson was a DC14 Animal - purchased about 8 years ago. Loved it. Unfortunately after years of my husband using it to clean up construction messes and several years of my kids dragging it up the stairs (banging it all the way), I finally began to notice its suction becoming less impressive. Since my first lasted through 8 years of abuse, I stuck with the brand I trusted and ordered this higher end model.

Once my DC65 Animal arrived in the mail, I did what any Dyson lover would do: I compared it to my old one. :D This photo will show you what you want to know. I used my old DC14 Animal vacuum on my 15ft x 15ft family room and got the first pile of dirt. I then immediately vacuumed it again with my new DC65 Animal and got a 2nd...much larger...pile of dirt.

For anyone who has a love-affair with cleanliness: make the purchase. You'll never regret it.
Oh, and even though it weighs 17 pounds - you don't feel it. It gently pulls itself perfectly. My DC14 weighs 18 pounds, but is not as easy to push or steer as this new DC65.

My only "complaint" is that the tool attachments aren't quite intuitive to me. I will have to actually reference a manual.
review image
294 helpful votes
295 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on January 26, 2014
We just got our new Dyson DC65 Animal today. Took a while to put it all together since there are lots of parts. So far it holds true to its "double the suction of other vacuums" claim. Before we bought this vacuum we had vacuumed our living room floor with our vacuum (Oreck Touch Bagless) and thought it was pretty clean. Vacuuming the same area with the Dyson picked up so much more dirt and fine dust. It does seem quieter than the Oreck as well. I'm giving this vacuum five stars FOR NOW! It does what it says on the box and so far it does it very well. We'll see how it still performs after a few months.

CONS
-The vacuum doesn't hold all the attachments that come in the box with it. You still have two large attachments that do not have anywhere to be stored on the vacuum itself.
-The price. This is definitely the most I have ever spent on a vacuum and for this price it better last a long long time.
-I wish the power/hardwood floor button was higher up on the handle.

PROS
-Extremely lightweight
-Long Cord
-Long Hose
-Quiet
-Easy to empty
-Two washable filters
189 helpful votes
190 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 27, 2012
I have NEVER felt anything deserve a true 5-star rating but the Animal complete really does, the ONLY fault I found is the price but honestly if you want a clean floor it is worth it.

OK this is going to be a long one but I have to explain WHY this vacuum is so GREAT. This all started with a Hoover Self propelled wind tunnel vacuum which I thought was GREAT. We stumbled on a great deal on a Dyson DC14 ( $ 150 brand new in a target store on clearance a WHILE ago ) so we bought it and when I brought it home I gave it the TEST. I took the wind tunnel and vacuumed THOROUGHLY ( did the whole floor FOUR times ) and thought there was no way the Dyson was going to find ANYTHING because the wind tunnel was no longer picking up any dirt? When I put the DC14 to work I had a FULL canister in about five minutes - I was completely BLOWN AWAY with the performance of this vacuum and could not believe the amount of dirt this thing found. SEEING our Dyson is now about six or seven years old my wife thought we should look for a new one, I told here there is nothing wrong with the one we have BUT she got the bug for a new vacuum and any married man KNOWS how this goes. I was at BB and saw the Dyson's on sale and came across the Animal ( which I always kind of thought it was just a name for the vacuum, not for its purpose - people with Animals -duh- considering we have four Rottweilers, a Jack Russel, three cats and a bird and that is just what lives in the house I think we qualify as Animal owners lol ) and was curious about it and was checking it out when I noticed another Animal called the complete? I wondered what the difference was so I put the complete in my cart and brought it over to the standard animal to compare the two, glad I did to because it was the last one and another couple wanted to buy it. There was not much listed on the box to show the difference other than the complete came the a tangle-free power head and the Zorb cleaner? Considering the power head cost more than the difference in the two models I figured I'd go with the complete. I'm glad I did the complete came the the new tangle-free power head ( already had the old style since I bought the acc kit for my DC14 already ) PLUS "the DC41 Animal Complete comes with a tool bag, Stiff Bristle Brush, Soft Dusting Brush, Multi-Angle Brush, Zorb, Combination Accessory Tool, and Stair Tool whereas the standard animal only comes with a Combination tool and a Stair tool. The Combination tool has a debris nozzle that converts to a brush tool for dusting" so the complete is well worth the little bit more in cost especially since the acc kit I bought for my DC14 was $100.

Now the TEST, starting out I was like I am putting a Dyson against a Dyson there is NO WAY this is going to be like the test with the Hoover wind tunnel, I am SURE the results are not going to be the same. I took my DC14 and vacuumed thoroughly ( now this is after spending two days last week vacuuming and steam cleaning carpets to get ready for Thanksgiving ) I got the usual dirt I kept vacuuming until the dirt quit showing up in the canister and was quite cocky thinking there is NO WAY this DC41 was going to find ANYTHING. OMG was I WRONG - after about four minutes I had FOUR INCHES of sand in the canister! THE PERFORMANCE OF THE DC41 IS TRULY UNBELIEVABLE EVEN AFTER FOLLOWING ANOTHER DYSON! I am SOLD on this machine just when I thought I was living with clean carpets- Dyson out does Dyson. If you own ANY other vacuum and think your carpets are clean put the DC41 to work and it will show you how much was missed. THIS VACUUM IS AWESOME !
415 helpful votes
416 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on April 3, 2015
It was definantly worth the price it picked up so much dirt and fur from the carpet it was amazing. I would have never believed all that was just in the hallway it was crazy.
review image
16 helpful votes
17 helpful votes
on November 4, 2015
I never expected to love a vacuum cleaner. Even admitting that makes me feel like the child inside me has died a little. This vacuum cleaner, however, makes the whole house smell cleaner. After replacing an old vacuum given to me by my mother, I bought this version because we are planning to add a dog to our household, and I have long hair that has clogged vacuum cleaners in the past. This thing sucked three canisters of dirt from our one-bedroom apartment in the first pass, apparently grabbing all of the dirt left behind by our ancient vacuum.

I have always scoffed at Dysons for being overpriced, but this vacuum cleaner is easy to maneuver, easy to use, and easy to clean up. It sucks up more dirt in a single pass than I ever thought possible.

My only complaint is that the flat furniture cleaning attachment that comes with it is very small - about four inches long. I would have liked to see a full sized furniture cleaning head included with a six hundred dollar vacuum. Of course, you can buy the spare attachment, called the "Dyson Mattress Tool" for another thirty dollars, but it feels like it should have been included in the top-of-the-line, most recent Dyson model.

Overall, I am pleased with how the vacuum handles, how it cleans, and how much cleaner it is keeping my home.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on December 18, 2016
I have had a Dyson 07 Animal for so many years I can't even count. Not once have I ever had anything go wrong on the machine. However, I have wanted to get a newer one and try out some of the technology. I really thought nothing could ever work better than my trusty old Dyson.

It was very easy to put together right out of the box, other than the wand attachment is a little different to attach to the vacuum, so had to check the directions on that! Otherwise really simple. I decided to do what some of the other reviewers did and vacuumed my whole house with my old Dyson and then vacuumed it again with my new one. It pulled up a considerable amount of dirt and fiber that was left behind by the other vacuum. I was impressed.

I am really surprised how easily the Dyson 65 is to use with the ball. It took a little getting used to, but I really like it. The vacuum is lighter than my old 07 is, which makes a huge difference on my body. My back and arm didn't hurt after vacuuming (but I am not going to tell my kids that, or they will think they don't have to vacumn for me anymore). I really like the lower profile of the brush bar, it makes it easier to get under the edges of the furniture and other tight places.

I immediately tried out the turbine upholstery attachment on my brown recliner that my cream colored cat likes to sleep in. Cleaned up that chair like a dream, I am going to love that attachment for sure.

My only complaint, and it is a small one, is that the release to empty the debris container is now a button type release that takes some effort. That is hard on my poor arthritic hand. I much prefer the release on my old 07 which was more like a trigger release. So much easier.

My son is now begging me for my old vacuum!
on October 20, 2016
10/31/16 - Update 1
Dyson Custom Support actively monitors reviews of their products. Very nice to see this. I was contacted shortly after this review and told them the issue we were facing and support resolved it immediately. I've reflected this in my star rating from a 1 to a 4 star. My reasoning is simple, the warranty or guarantee of a product is one of the critical considerations I take in purchasing a product at this price point. This proves to me that not only has a company gone through the rigor of testing and analysis to issue such a warranty but that they will back it!

Initial Review - 10/20/16
For the price you pay for this vacuum you would expect the quality of the product to extend through all components including one of the major components; the hose.

There exists an engineering flaw in the design or materials used as our hose among many other reviewers hoses have separated. Dyson support calls it wear and tear or an accident which is not covered by the warranty. Yet I have a Shark and a Eureka that are equally old or older and they've not experienced an accidental hose separation.

You would think for the price of the vacuum Dyson support would replace the hose free of charge if under warranty. Yet they seem to want to capture an additional $30 from their customers for a replacement part that will likely fail again.

My last Dyson product.
3 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on February 21, 2016
Best vacuum we've ever owned! With two large long haired dogs that shed constantly, we needed a vacuum that would take a licking and keep on sucking. This one will do that and more. By far the most powerful machine we tested. Getting a deal on Amazon was a big bonus. Came with tons of attachments including one for pet hair on upholstery (specifically). Best suction ever! On a hardwood floor you can see it pulling in debris from as far away as 3-4 inches from the head of the thing. It simply can't be beat. The old saying "you get what you pay for" certainly applies here. We would have gone through several lesser machines during this one's life so far. We have been using this one for over 3 years now and it's just as good as the day we bought it. We use it on average 5 times a week (we like clean floors) and the thing operates like the first time we turned it on. Filters are easy to remove and clean, easy to remove the catch bin and empty it. Sucks up wads of dog hair like a dream and never clogs. My only complaint (and it's a minor one in the grand scheme of things) is that the ball is so large you have to use an attachment to get up under some furniture rather than being able to just push the vacuum under them. That said, that ball is what makes it so maneuverable on the main floor surface, so it's a trade off. Highly recommend!
on December 12, 2016
While some competitors claim to be better, comparing this machine to those owned by others makes it clear that the Dyson not only has good initial suction, but it maintains its vacuum prowess even when the tank has accumulated significant dirt. It is easy to use, including cleaning and emptying the machine. We particularly appreciate the washable filters, both because they are environmentally friendly, and because they appear to be more effective than paper bags and filters used in other machines. The build quality and advanced technology of the design were evident from the moment we opened the box. While not the lightest vacuum out there, it pushes and maneuvers with ease. With the addition of the optional tool kit, cleaning the house from floors to fans is now easier and faster than ever. Strongly recommnded,