EMTEC S400 Slider Series 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive with Em-Desk (Black)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 8GB capacity
- Read speed: up to 25 MB/s
- Write speed: up to 15 MB/s
- Capless sliding mechanism
- EM-DESK open source software suite included
EMTEC's S400 series of USB 2.0 Flash Drives make transferring files between PCs, notebooks and MACs quick and easy. The streamlined design has a black rubber coated finish with a metallic accent that offers a professional look and feel. The S400 employs a handy sliding mechanism to eliminate the risk of cap loss. A complete open source software suite, EM-Desk, is an added bonus included on the S400. EMTEC’s S400 is available with storage capacities ranging from 2GB to 32GB. EMTEC’s S400 is compatible with most operating systems including Windows 98Se, 2000, XP, Me, Vista, Linux and Mac OS.
From the Manufacturer
In a world full of bland, boring flash drives, EMTEC stands out from the crowd. In today's digital world, consumers are creative and demand advanced technologies to express themselves. EMTEC answers the call by providing a wide range of USB flash drives, each one perfect for storing, transporting and sharing your presentations, documents, photos, music files and more. The EMTEC S400 Slider USB Flash Drive offers a convenient, cap-less sliding design and great performance. Each flash drive features a smooth rubber-coated finish and brushed aluminum slider.
The S400 is pre-loaded with EM-Desk, an Open Source software suite that includes such ready-to-use applications as Open Office, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird and VLC.
Also available in 4GB, 16GB, 32GB and 64GB capacities.
The EMTEC S400 Flash Drive allows you to store, transport and share your music, photos and files.
Access your data anytime, anywhere with easy plug-and-play operation on virtually any PC or Mac.
- Style - The S400 USB Flash Drive features a convenient, cap-less sliding design and unique smooth rubber-coated finish with a brushed aluminum slider.
- Plug and Play - Simply plug the flash drive into your computer's USB port and the computer will automatically detect the device.
- Compatibility - Compatible with most Windows and Mac Operating Systems. Driverless in Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7. Compatible with all USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices.
- Capacity - The EMTEC S400 is available in 5 storage capacities: 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB and 64GB. Please note: for flash media devices, 1 megabyte = 1 million bytes; 1 gigabyte = 1 billion bytes. Actual useable capacity may vary. Some of the listed capacity may be used for formatting and other functions and thus is not available for data storage.
- Performance - The S400 flash drive features read speeds of up to 25 MB/s and write speeds of up to 15 MB/s.
- Software - Includes EM-Desk platform. Please note: Formatting the flash drive will remove all applications. Version updates and the full platform can be downloaded at www.em-desk.com.
- Capacity - 8 GB
- Style - Black with aluminum slider
- Approximate Dimensions - 2.17 x 0.91 x 0.35 in. (L x W x D)
- Read Speed - up to 25 MB/s
- Write Speed - up to 15 MB/s
- Compatibility - Compatible with most Windows and Mac Operating Systems. Compatible with all USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices.
The EMTEC S400 Slider USB Flash Drive Series: A convenient cap-less sliding design that features high speeds and high capacities. The EMTEC Slider is also available in solid colors (S410) and floral patterns (S420).
The EMTEC brand was launched from a division of BASF, a pioneer in the media industry. Turning the brand's focus to mobile storage products in the late nineties, EMTEC became a huge success in Europe. Today, EMTEC prides itself in creating innovative products that embody the human spirit: to preserve, protect and share the most valuable moments of daily life. EMTEC designs, develops, manufactures and markets consumer electronic products that are both secure and stylish. EMTEC offers a wide range of products, including USB flash drives, memory cards and other computer-related accessories.
It's as simple as a click: you can store, carry and transfer files quickly and easily with an EMTEC flash drive. Whether you are looking for an entry-level, mid-range, premium or fashion flash drive, there is an EMTEC product for you. Explore the range of EMTEC flash drives on Amazon.com or www.EMTECelectronics.com.
What's in the Box
EMTEC S400 USB Flash Drive
Top customer reviews
* Good plastic finish, scratch resistant
* Good read speed: ~20MB/s
* Good price per GB value
* Relatively slow write speed. I got an average of 2.5 - 4 MB/s while copying several gigs of my photos. I was able to confirm slow write speed on different PCs/laptops. Can you believe that it takes more than two hours to copy the files in order to fill up this huge drive???
* Slightly bulky. I remember problems inserting this drive into a laptop with tight space around USB port, especially if there is another device/cable connected to a neighbor port.
Things to watch for:
* Handling takes some practice. I recommend to hold stick by silver slider when inserting into USB port
Overall, I think this drive deserves 3.5 stars. I continue to use it and have no plans to replace it with another drive.
I would strongly recommend this USB drive to anyone looking in this price range. I purchased the elago adapter mentioned above along with the Transcend 8 GB microSDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS8GUSDHC6E. It appears to operate around the same speed as this USB drive if someone is looking for something smaller.
SPEED: The drive is fast... I own Corsair's, A-Data's and some off brand models and this one smokes em all... and the A-Data is the fastest I had seen and even benchmarked up to now. I haven't actually had the time to do a real speed test yet but I had with the A-Data and many others in our IT shop and suffice it to say that this Emtac is noticably faster... sorry for no speed details but the speed is clearly there.
FUNCTION: Another important feature for me is the size of the drive and function of the retractor. The size is normal to small and easily fits next to another occupied USB port. The way the retractor works is simple and very effective. When it is extended and you push it into the USB port the cover does not try to close when you hold it by the black body (easiest way.) The Silver part slides back and forth to cover the USB portion and locks into and out of place perfectly.
COMPLAINTS: My only complaints... if you can call them that since I don't, is the hole for a leash/to carry the drive is small and does not appear sturdy enough to be abused. It is not big enough or at the right angle to get a keyring through which is a small bummer but I have put a small zip-tie through there and it is working fine. Thin cord of good quality... like that comes with some drives might be nicer but I haven't gotten around to it yet. The only other "bummer" would be the lack of a activity status light/LED. I thought this would be a problem but actually I haven't missed it yet. I personally am so happy with the purchase that I decided not to take away a star for the light and leash hole... it's the way it was designed and I bought it that way and it does everything I have asked or hoped for so five stars.
Thanks again to C. Meil "HappyMeil" for the help... you motivated me to do what I hope is the same help for another buyer. OH... BTW... to the complainer about pre-installed software? You spent more 10 times more time complaining than it took me performing a right click and "format" LOL
Cons: 1. Comes with 520MB of pre-loaded software called EMDESK.
2. Does not work for playing music through Pioneer DEH-P510UB Car Stereo. You will get a format error even though the drive is fat32 format. PNY Attache usb drives seem to work better for music with this stereo system.
Most recent customer reviews
It works exactly as you expect a flash drive to work, and its fast.Read more