Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 175 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 199 reviews
on December 27, 2014
this is a great season and a great show. here are the best episodes of this season

Episodes

19. Fire In The Belly
20. Fevers Of Unknown Origins
21. Take These Broken Wings
22. John Carter, M.D.

if you have not seen this season then I recommend you do
on March 29, 2016
Still the best medical series! Much of the technical information is accurate, which is expected as Michael Creighton, series producer, was an ER physician. The subtle humor and ongoing character lines are models for serial television series. I especially like the occasional humor interjected within plot lines.

Follow on series such as Grey's Anatomy are nothing more than prime time soap operas with too much emphasis on character interactions with an occasional medical reference. It lacks the cutting edge medical perspectives with every day grittiness of ER. Other attempts at 'me too' medical series fall short of the writing and direction of ER relying too much on bizarre characters or fanciful scenarios.
I have only seen the first two seasons of "ER", so I cannot yet with authority say Season Two was the best out of 15. I can say it had a bit more going for it than Season One, which is saying a lot, since Season One bowled me over (I never watched the show when it was being run on NBC, Thursday night. Since I have started watching Season 3, I can tell for certain that the progress of the various characters working their way through the stages of Medical education system is a great attraction. Noah Wyle's character is the one benefitting most from this progression. I expect that by season 4 or 5, he will be as good as Benton and Greene.

The guest stars are still a big attraction. The most notable in this season is when Michael Ironside took over as Chief of Surgery and Head of the ER from William H. Macy, which created an entirely new dynamic between Dr. Greene and that position. Macy and Ironside both played ace doctors, but with entirely different styles.

Laura Innes, one of the two longest running characters (with Noah Wyle) joined the cast as a visitor (became full time cast member in season 3) and added an entirely new dynamic to the day to day operations in the OR. But her arrival, as chief resident, creates some confusion in our picture of who is in charge in the ER. Since Mark Greene (Anthony Edwards) was promoted to an attending doctor, and Kerry Weaver (Innes) took his place as chief resident, it would seem Greene was in charge, but Weaver takes over as if she is running things (although Greene occasionally vetoes her ideas).

One especially fragile story arc is the position of George Clooney's character, as he is constantly in trouble with his head of service. He manages to pull his bacon out of the fire with a monumentally heroic act. But he is still skating on thin ice. Of course, we all know he will be leaving ER after only a few seasons to go on to bigger things in the movies, but one wonders how he can realistically hold on for even one more season.

Realism, of course, is the foundation of the show. So, unlike "House", which is plainly a fantasy, if anything happens which does not quite ring true, it is like a rip in the fabric of the episode, and the faster it is patched up, the better.

If "ER" has any flaws, it is that it is not as successful as "Numb3rs" in creating a tightly interlocked three venues, and the story is carried on whether the action is in one venue or the other. The off campus scenes make one yearn to get back to the excitement in the hospital.
on March 14, 2017
My wife and I watched and liked "Gray's Anatomy", but never saw this show back when it was on TV.
The characters in this show seem more believable (and spend a lot less time jumping in and out of bed with each other).
on May 30, 2013
Season two of ER is great, but the packaging of the DVDs - not so much. Unlike some older reviews have stated, the newest version of this season contains seven one-sided discs. So, new buyers shouldn't be concerned about the doubled-sided disc factor.

However, the packaging of the new discs leaves something to be desired. I received my DVDs yesterday in a very minimally padded mailing envelope. As a result, some of the plastic on the DVD case was broken upon arrival, and the interior DVD holder (which contains three flippable sides) broke on one end at the slightest touch. The DVDs, thankfully, seem unharmed, but it's a shame to see the protective aspects of the DVD set fall apart so quickly and easily.
on January 11, 2017
Like pretty much all of ER seasons 1-8, it's a good series with a lot of interesting side stories and characters who merit a lot of discussion. I've found it fun to rewatch so much later, after its original run. There are points when things start getting really contrived but it's definitely still in the "good years" of this show.
on April 2, 2012
Perhaps it's because I found the character of Chloe so annoying, compounded with the fact that the writers paid too much attention to her and I hated what she put Susan through, that I felt the show got better in season 3. As much as I love Dr. Doug Ross (George Clooney) and Dr. Mark Greene (Anthony Edwards), my favorite is Dr. Peter Benton (Eriq LaSalle) and I liked when he stood up for what he believed in when he faced off with Dr. Vucelich. Towards the end of the the season, we see him become close to married Physician Assistant Jeanie Boulet, who he hired to help take care of his sick mother. They subsequently had an affair, and Jeanie finds out she's now HIV positive thanks to the extra-marital hijinx of her husband Al. To get down to the nitty-gritty of season 2, check out the reviews of David Anderson, Belvis and Phyllida Ludd. I don't think I could say it any better than they did! Kudos to those great reviews!
on February 22, 2017
I was an avid ER watcher when the show aired in 1994. Although I typically like to have the DVD’s, I have to say it is extremely convenient to have the whole series available to watch anywhere I have internet access. I am enjoying each season and I highly recommend purchasing all seasons if you really enjoyed the show.
on March 7, 2017
they all work great
on December 10, 2016
Er is the best medical drama of any show