Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Epica Instant Read Digital Meat Thermometer For Cooking and BBQ
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

on December 5, 2012
I bought this tool because it had great reviews. It has worked as expected giving the readout in about 5 seconds. That speed is important because ovens are hot and you will have your hand in there. Using a thermometer has improved my cooking a great deal because I can be more flexible with my cooking temperatures. My wife won't eat under cooked steak and so I tend to overcook it. This tool has almost eliminated that problem allowing me to nail it. I love that I am no longer slicing into the meat to look at it. Before writing this review I used this tool about 50 times.
22 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2012

Accuracy readings:
Ice water: 32.0 °F
Boiling water: 211.1 °F

Specs:
Length of metal probe: 4.75"
Length of body: 7.75"
Length with sheath: 12.75"
Battery: 1x LR44 (included)

Minor cons:
The sheath doesn't click into place (but stays on securely once pushed in)
If held in left hand (to use your right hand for stirring for example), the reading is upside down
When leaving it for min/max temperature recording, you have to set a timer for 9 minutes or so to come back and check on it. The auto-shutoff at 10 minutes resets the recording.
22 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2013
I have been using this instant thermometer for the past month with great results in my bread so it seems to be accurate. It pierces the loaf with ease, takes about 5-7 seconds to record the internal bread temp, then remove, close oven door, read and decide if more baking is needed
or not. It does have a rather small window for Centigrade or Fahrenheit readout which could be a bit larger, but works for me nicely & the price is right. I was not given this as a sample to review as some other reviewers have noted: I bought it and I might add, the Thermoworks thermometers cost nearly $90+, so on my budget this one is fine for my uses. I don't see any issues with keeping it clean if you take care of it properly. The sheath is nice for storage and the battery is still going strong since 12/25/12. Radio shack carries most of these small kitchen tool type batteries...some people are just never happy but don't want to spend money for what they perceive as a perfect product.
There is really nothing wrong with this thermometer for home use. At $19 it's a steal.
on December 26, 2012
I have work in various restaurants for a decade and have used some very expensive thermocouples. That said this in not a thermapen or an expensive thermocouple but for the price this is a very good instant read thermometer. Buy it you wont regret it.
on May 28, 2013
I'm a chef so I'm constantly using a thermometer to ensure that food is cooked properly. I love how fast the read is on this thermometer. Definitely the best I've found so far. And I'm also loving that it doesn't need to be re calibrated.

Highly recommended!
on June 5, 2013
Very accurate checking with a crushed ice bath with a little water. Read 32.0 F so I was very impressed, and it obtained that reading within about 5 seconds. No complaints...
on June 25, 2012
I use it for everything from turkey to steaks. It gives an accurate reading fast, and the probe is thin so the juices don't run out .
A nice plus is that it is water resistant as my previous thermometer died from cleaning it in the sink.
It feels durable and likely to last a long time.
on February 4, 2015
I cannot even begin to tell you how many steaks, roasts, chickens and on and on I have ruined with this device. You get what you paid for people. I finally had to take a picture of this dumb thing in action. Yes that says 61.9 deg F on the thermometer and to the right is the steak after I pulled it off because I knew it was done by experience, touch and look. I tried to use it again tonight on another steak and same issue, showed 80 deg and it was overdone inside. No matter where I stick it into the meat it gives off a very very wrong reading and it has done that since the day I got it over a year ago. Figured it was too cheap to even try to return.
review image
on February 20, 2015
This is an excellent instant read thermometer. I have been through a number of small, inexpensive ones over the years, but this one easily beats them all and is worth the small additional cost. The probe is a very useful length and allows temperatures to be taken without one's hands getting too close to the heating elements of the oven or too close to a skillet. The display is easy to read and the temperature readings themselves appear to be extremely accurate. I am very satisfied with this purchase.
on December 30, 2012
Takes a reasonably accurate reading in about 5 seconds making it worthwhile for my purposes. Over or undercook one steak and you'll realize this is worth the money