Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 160 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 170 reviews
on July 31, 2016
This rod holder is heavy duty. The clamp is larger than expected but works nicely. As you can see in the pictures if you are using it for a canoe, mine is an older Mohawk, the clamp has a lot of room when tightened down and it does tighten down not allowing it to move around. I initially had the turn screw on the inside of the canoe but the holder twisted and didn't sit right so I moved the screw to the outside and it works much better. You will have a problem with a shorter rod handle say 7" like a light weight rod. The handle, like on my medium weight rod, is 9" and sits really well in the holder. I think the shorter handle will wiggle out when on the river or lake. The holder itself twists by lifting up on it slightly and turning it then pushing it back down to lock it in place. The rods are loose when sitting in the holder but should stay put for rivers and lakes. See pictures
review image review image review image review image review image
on January 5, 2015
Though the package says "great for kayaks and canoes" (the use I had intended) this unit is way too bulky for that purpose. It's made of two separable pieces: the rod holder and the clamp. The clamp is huge but its action depends on a single thumb screw with a relatively small friction pad - no lock nut or washer even. It's bound to come lose at just the wrong time. Unless your canoe is made of metal (heavy duty aluminum) the torque produced with a rod in place is likely to damage the gunwale. (The ideal mount would be a 2x4, though the screw would stick out quite a ways). If you're in a kayak, it's only a matter of time before this slips off the polyethylene gunwale. The rod holder is also needlessly bulky: the trough that the rod base fits in is over an inch and a half in diameter. That may not sound like much but it's way too big for any of the fishing rods I own - big enough for deep sea rigs rigs - but for that, the inadequate clamp would be a problem. My rods just rattle around in this thing, which is going back as fast as I can get it to UPS.
on August 15, 2013
Have 6 of these, and they work great as rod holders and as mounting hardware for a pair of DIY outriggers (pvc pipes with crab/lobster trap floats - B003OAWS44).

These rod holders are rugged. The clamps open up to just under 2 inches wide, and grip very tightly onto a plastic canoe. No problems trolling - i.e. clamp does not dislodge, horizontal/vertical rod adjusters do not get out of whack, no visible stress from the added drag when a fish takes the lure.

No need to drill holes, fuss with mounting hardware, and setup/tear down takes only a few seconds. Hence, nothing "permanent" attached to my canoe, making it easy to transport and configure for the fishing situation - with or without rod holders, extra set (or not) when fishing with someone else, with or without the outriggers (depends on who is on board). Can mount these virtually anywhere, making it comfortable and safe to reach for the rods.
on June 21, 2017
I purchased mine for my14.6 Pelican DLX Canoe and I love it. It's heavy duty construction is strong enough to troll with in a boat for those big Spring time Rockfish. While I do agree that there's more than enough room to tighten this on the side of my canoe I simply cut a 1" piece of treated 5 1/4 board and presto a perfect and even stronger fit. Would I buy another one? Your darn right I would and will so as soon as I'm done giving my opinionated review of this product.
on May 21, 2016
Broke on first use. Lost fishing pole and top portion of the clamp on the first time. What a waste!!
review image
on July 3, 2015
I like the looks and is quality of the product but not the screw clamping system. When fishing on my pontoon I got a big catfish and the rod and rod holder went flying into the lake. I checked my other holder like this one and it was tightened correctly which leads me to believe I had the lost rod holder thghtened correctly also. I will use this product for smaller fish and be happy with it. I suggest they make a holder that bolts thru the boat wall so that it will be useful on all sizes of fish. ps. the one that got away was thissssssssssssss big. ;-)
on January 19, 2017
as advertised
on May 4, 2017
Works well on my kayak. Only downside is the telescope does not fit my Ocean Kayak standard holes-requires you to use the supplied mount.
on August 20, 2016
I like the scotty rod mounts a lot better, they are not as flimsy but they don't have a clamp. These work okay for the application.
on October 30, 2014
Base is pretty wide if you're going to use it on a pontoon you can't really use it where the seats are which is a pain. I returned them.