Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 26, 2013
This has become one of my favorite movies! Several reviewers have compared it to Napoleon Dynamite, and while there is a similar style of humor, this film stands on its own. The situations are at times exaggerated, but are very honest and true to life.
Lily, a mousy fast food worker, doesn't get any respect from her coworkers and tries way too hard to get Jared's attention when he comes in. Jared is overcompensating for his need for dad's approval by turning the machismo on blast.
The story takes us back to Jared's hometown, where he and Lily (the best female Fight Man player he's ever met) are driven by her brother (a remarkable celebrity impressionist- NOT) and dropped off so Jared can get revenge on the Samoan who made his life hell. We meet Jared's pal (the best computer hacker he's ever met! On a dial-up 1980's apple!), and his family who don't think highly of him. The early banter between Jared and his sister is classic! Details unfold shedding light on Jared's family background, and as Lily builds a bond with them it drives Jared to try harder to impress them and further from Lily. Things build as Jared invites his rival to attend a fight, and after being verbally berated and annoyed, the Samoan accepts. Life lessons are learned, bonds restored, etc., I won't give away the plotlines or ending! It was very funny and enjoyable through and through! I've seen Jermaine Clement in a couple of films now, and he's always hilarious. This has to be my favorite, mainly because it's just a slight exaggeration of real people and real life. The truth is always funny!
Blu-ray has great picture and sound, there are some decent indie songs on the soundtrack as well (the best one from Zane's band- but the dance moves really make it cool!). It costs quite a bit more, but it's region free and can be played in the States.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on May 29, 2017
Super sweet movie! Lots of sarcasm and "off humor"-- similar to Napolean Dynamite. Acting is great, cute story line and great message overall.
on April 8, 2017
Love Taika's movies. Quirky and Fun...and also touches the heart.
on July 20, 2017
A fun Movie. Very Napoleon Dyno mite .
on September 9, 2012
I absolutely adored this film! It's the story of two totally awkward and unconventional personalities falling in love and trying to figure out how that even works. Jemaine Clement never really disappoints in my opinion and his general grossness throughout the film (because there's really no other way to describe it) ends up being oddly endearing. It's all just wacky and strange and definitely one I'll be buying for my movie collection. If you like movies like this... check out Gentleman Broncos which is in the same thread. In an age where we seem to be inundated with action and horror movies or even the trademark romantic comedy it's so refreshing to see a film that takes you in a completely different direction.
2 helpful votes
on August 28, 2017
Great movie
on January 8, 2017
Truly one of my all time fave films. I can't understand how critics didn't universally appreciate this more save perhaps, because it's SO subtly clever and spot-on and happy-tragic. I NEVER watch movies 2x and this I've seen at least 4 now. I even wrote my favorite grad school paper on Jared.
11 comment|Report abuse
on February 26, 2017
This is a quirky little film, Taika Waititi's first. It's easy to see his directing hand in this cute, special film. If you love "Flight of the Concords", "What We Do in The Shadows", and "Hunt For the Wilderpeople", definitely check this out! I recommend it!
on May 8, 2014
An instant classic. My sister suggest this movie to me. When I watched this movie at first I didn't know what to think about it. So I watched it several more times and it grew on me. It's funny in my opinion. To tell you the truth, it takes an interesting sense of humor to like this movie. If you're a nerd like I am, you're really going to enjoy this movie. This movie is nerdy to the extreme, and it's great!
2 helpful votes
on September 8, 2008
Charming Quirkiness , is what comes to mind for me when I think of this movie; I loved it and fell in love with the characters right away.

This film is a bit sad - not in the "tragic" sense - but in the "people have difficulties" sense. Which does not diminish its charm.

The heroine, Lily, is adorable, lovable and memorable; the picture of forgiveness and patience. I particularly loved the relationship between she and Damon, her brother.

Jarrod, the other main character, is a bit funny and more than a bit weird, which is where the quirk comes in.

Part of the charm is the "not in America" feel of the film. You know, where the characters are the main focus, plot is something to work on and the snapshots of another country.

Jarrod is a doof and resembles an angrier, oafish, Napoleon Dynamite.

The differences between the two characters are age, nationality...New Zealand and a revengeful spirit.

This is also more adult in content than Napoleon D.
I would highly suggest this film to those who like Irish or British comedies.