Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 91 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 103 reviews
on August 31, 2011
---
IMPORTANT NOTE CONCERNING LED BULBS: You cannot place an LED bulb in an enclosed fixture. The fixture these bulbs are placed into must have air circulating around them. An enclosed fixture must house an incandescent, since the incandescent is not affected by heat. Place an LED in an enclosed fixture and the heat sink cannot function properly; it will slowly dim over several weeks until the brightness is only a small percentage of it's original luminosity. It probably won't suddenly go out, but it will dim considerably over time.
---

That said...

As of today, September 2011, this is the best LED bulb on the market. I've tested several, and this is it.

The warmth of the light looks like the GE 48688 60-Watt A19 Reveal Bulbs, 4-Pack. It's that close. The only difference is that is is slightly dimmer, and the light aura does not extend completely to the base. Sure, exclude everything else and the 60-watt Reveal bulb gives off the superior light. But you can't exclude everything else. There is both the heat load of the bulb and the energy costs. And once these are factored in the EarthLED is a very attractive option.

At the time of writing, there are about a dozen reviews. All are 5-star reviews. I suspect that trend will continue. Amazon is having a difficult time keeping these in stock also, so go ahead and order a few if you can.

Just for reference, I've also test the GE 62180 9-Watt LED Soft White A19 Light Bulb, which is supposedly the most superior LED bulb on the market. Not any more.
55 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2011
This bulb has a very nice, warm look to it. The package says 450 Lumens, not 400. Note that the description says that it will replace a 60W DOWNLIGHT. That is pretty much correct, because the light dispersion is mostly in one direction. This would be good for ceiling locations where you don't want much light going up, or in cans. I put this in a difficult-to-access outdoor fixture (not a moist location) and it looks very good. It will be on about 12 hours a day, and I'm looking forward to not changing the bulb for around 8 years. We'll see...

----One year update----

Doing fine after a year. It has been on over 4000 hours.
on October 3, 2011
I purchased two of these light bulbs as a test to test try them in place of two cfl's that I use on a daily basis, I was invited to the thoguht of testing these as they use only 7 watts instead of 13 like the cfl's did. The specs are msisleading as it shows 60w comparable. It is NOT 60w comparable. It has 450 lumens compared to a standard 800 for 60w. The light output is much less from my lamp then it was originally, even though it works out because I prefer a less brighter light in that particular lamp, I did not get what I orininally thought I was paying for. I've seen real 60w led bulbs and they have 800 lumens and also use the same wattaged (13 watts) as a true 60w replacement bulb. Not cool.
on November 14, 2011
This LED bulb is one of the cheapest on Amazon--a few bucks more than a similar LEDwholesalers bulb, but also a bit brighter. If you're looking to get started with LEDs, this bulb is a good place to start if you don't have a lot of money.

It shares disadvantages typical of similar-looking LED bulbs: the light is fairly directional (i.e., the bulb works best when pointed in the direction the light is needed, usually down or sideways, almost like a flood light; floor lamps with upward-pointing bulbs will not be good unless you just want dim light in the room and a fully illuminated ceiling), the cost is higher than CFLs and incandescents (although this bulb is still fairly cheap, will probably last longer than either of those, and uses less energy so will save some money), and so on. I recommend doing some reading if you don't already know. It also has the LED advantages: instant on, long life (estimated life is best measured in years, although the real world probably won't be double-digit numbers as claimed), and the lowest energy consumption compared to CFLs and incandescents. They're also mercury-free.

Some LEDs, especially cheaper ones, are dim, so make sure you compare the Watt equivalents (many cheaper ones are 40-50 W equivalents; this one claims 60, and for directional applications I wouldn't doubt it--but be warned that there don't seem to be standards for labeling this) or lumens. Be careful with lumens if both bulbs aren't LEDs or if they're different types/shapes of bulbs (e.g., it's probably not fair to compare lumens on this to a GE 61280 which casts light more omnidirectionally), but in general remember: even though lumens are a better measure of illumination, most LED bulbs are more directional and will thus have lower lumens for seemingly equivalent light compared to a CFL or incandescent. This doesn't necessarily mean they're dimmer.

This bulb is great for the price, a good replacement for 60 W downlights or even side-pointing lights. Its warm temperature is about like most incandescents and soft/warm CFLs (they also make a cool white version, which I have in my kitchen and bathroom since I prefer cool white there but soft in the living room and bedroom). There are also some added benefits you might not find on cheaper lights, like the UL listing, if that is important to you. If you insist on being an early adopter like me, this is a good bulb to start with. If you need more omnidirectional light, check out the (slightly more expensive and slightly more energy-consuming, but still less than most CFLs) GE 9-Watt LED or the dimmable Philips Ambient LED bulbs.
on January 2, 2012
This is a great bulb. I've put it in my chandelier with 4 other bulbs that are 40 watts. Looking at it from the side so you can't see the heat sink, you can't tell which bulb is the led and which is the regular bulb. It is definately 40 watts and not 60 watts. The major flaw is you don't get light from the top of the bulb, it is only 180 degree light. That is keeping me from replacing all of the bulbs in my house. That said, this deserves 5 stars because it is the best led on the market and it is also a very good price. At $15 in a light that is on 10 hours a day, it will pay for itself in about 14 months and should work for 2-3 years after that. I bought a 9-watt bulb from the same company to try out as well. Reviewers have said that it is like a 60 watt bulb. One other thing to be aware of- you can't use these bulbs in a light fixture that is closed. It must have air flowing through it or it will dim. LED lights don't burn out, they will dim over time. Heat is the enemy of LEDs. That's why the top half of these is a heatsink to pull heat away from the led so it will last longer. They are working on bulbs that are more than 180 degree light and that have more lumens, but for now this is the best there is and it is worth buying at that.

UPDATE- OK I had given this 5 stars, but it turns out having a dark top half has really driven me crazy. Right now I have no home for this bulb because it is just too much of a turnoff. Pass on this and get omni-directional bulbs.
on January 11, 2012
I have 25 of these bulbs currently in use - for about 3 months now - and they are fantastic. Very good light: visitors can't tell them apart from incandescent bulbs when lit. The bulb part itself stays fairly cool, though the heatsink behind it does get quite warm - but not hot as incandescents or CFLs.

Out of the whole set of lights, I did have one which exhibited blinking behavior after being on for a few hours. EarthLED was prompt about getting it replaced! I also had initially gotten three of the cooler (5000K) bulbs to try out, and when my wife didn't like the way they made rooms look EarthLED was quite amenable to getting them swapped over to these 2700K versions.

I also use one of the 6W versions (ZetaLux 2, non-Pro) in a table lamp - and a pair of the 9W ThetaLux bulbs in a room that has particularly dark walls; those are all working great too!
on October 10, 2011
I have always wanted to purchase an LED lightbulb but three perceived flaws in LED have always stopped me: 1) very costly to purchase, 2) cold light temperature, and 3) dimness.
I can actually say that those three constraints that have always held me back from making a purchase have been resolved.

1) The cost has gone down significantly since last year. Sometimes the prices are a third of what they were before; you can find this bulb go on sale for less than the price of 6 CFLs here.

2) Three years ago, we installed LED under-cabinet fixtures in our kitchen. One of the deciding factors in pulling them out and putting less energy efficient bulbs was the color temperature. They were blue, cold, and had a somewhat hospital-like sterile color to them. This bulb here has a rated 2700K color temperature - that's the same color temperature of your "soft/warm white" incandescents that you have grown to be familiar with. Upon my own experience, this bulb is slightly whiter than a soft white incandescent, but has no blue or overall cold color to it.

3) Lighting amount isn't a major issue with this lightbulb if you are planning on replacing your 40 watt bulbs. The brightness is higher than a 40 watt incandescent, but has less brightness than your 60 watt incandescents - so about 50 watt incandescent equivalent. The bulb I replaced was a 60 watt soft white incandescent, and even though it is darker, it isn't by much at all. (If you want a brighter version of this bulb, perhaps check out ThetaLux - 9 Watt LED Light Bulb - Warm White (2700K) - 550 Lumens)

There are some inherent bonuses and flaws in LEDs still:
* (Pro) LEDs use much less energy: You could run 8.5 of these bulbs with the same amount of power 1 incandescent uses - 2 of these bulbs for 1 CFL. Don't forget you are saving money!
* (Pro) LEDs are instant on. No start up flicker and no warming up to full brightness like CFLs do now.
* (Pro) Very long life. 25,000+ lifespan equates to years of usage.
* (Neutral) This particular bulb directs more light upwards than down towards the base. In my situation, it is noticeable, but has no effect on my uses.
* (Con) It is recommended not to install in an enclosed or inverted fixture. LED bulbs distribute heat using heat sinks and any excess heat can prematurely dim your bulb. This effectively eliminates this bulb as a choice replacement for half of my fixtures in my home.
* (Con?) Still a pretty high "buy-in" price when compared to CFLs and incandescents, but the technology is working its way to mainstream and common availability.

In the end, definitely worth trying out! Buy one and put it in a lamp or other 1 bulb fixture to see how it looks. Frankly, you wont be able to see much of a difference in light quality between this LED and your old incandescent.
on October 19, 2011
LED lightbulb prices have been falling for the past year or so and these are the best ones I've seen under $20. I ordered two of the warm white ones from EarthLED. They sent me the wrong ones (bright white) so I contacted them. They made it right by sending me the two correct bulbs and letting me keep the others. Great customer service!

Anyways, these bulbs are the best budget LED lightbulbs on the market currently. The color is excellent and is better than the GE 9-Watt LED Light Bulb. The EarthLEDs are warmer and use less energy as well (7-watts). The light spread, however, is not as good as the GE version, but a fair trade-off considering this bulb is currently about $20 cheaper. These lights work great in downlight or a bathroom fixture like where I'm using it. The color is perfect for the bathroom. The GE ones are a little too cold.

This will replace your standard 60-watt A19 Edison base bulbs (the most common lightbulb), as the size and form are nearly the same, although it is quite a bit heavier. The brightness is sufficient, but it could be a little brighter. It's not quite a 60-watt equivalent, but really close. It's also not as bright as the Philips LED 60W Replacement Light Bulb which has 800 lumens but uses much more energy (12.5 watts). So if you need to light a bigger space, I would go for the Philips.

In most cases, this LED lightbulb will work perfect, and save you money at the same time. Benefits of LED are much greater energy savings versus incandescent and even compact flourescents and much longer life than both of those, as well as instant-on and instant brightness. Plus there's no dangerous chemicals (like CFLs). I've replaced all my lights in the house to LED and I've noticed huge savings on the electric bill!

As a side note: these will come branded as Tess lightbulbs. Do not worry, according to the EarthLED rep, Tess is their manufacturer who makes their ZetaLux 2 bulbs, but these are unbranded to lower the cost ($29.99 at EarthLED's own store). Just check to make sure they sent you the right color temperature.
on April 26, 2012
The ZetaLux 2 Pro LED light is bright and of extremely high quality. The ZetaLux 2 Pro LED light has a metal base and a plastic dome that does not shatter or break like standard glass light bulbs do. It is heavier than a standard bulb also. The ZetaLux 2 Pro LED light has an E26 socket which is a standard socket of all US house hold light housings which will hold a regular 60 watt bulb. It is easy to use in your houses existing infrastructure without connectors or adjusters.

The ZetaLux 2 Pro LED light has neat white packaging with clear information. It uses approximately 7 kilowatts per year if used 3 hours every single night. We use ours about 6 hours per night and so use about 14 kilowatts per year for each bulb. Our electric co-op charges 8 cents per kilowatt and so this bulb costs us about $1.12 a year in electricity to operate per bulb. For our total electric costs per year for all 4 bulbs it costs only $4.48. That's the cost of a sandwich and I get a years worth of lighting for most of my house.

We currently have 4 ZetaLux 2 Pro LED lights in use in our home for the past 6 months. The ZetaLux 2 Pro LED light is the sole light source for my pantry (6X9), my bedroom (6X9), my bathroom (5x5), and my child's room (6X9). All of these rooms are bright and and well illuminated. The ZetaLux 2 Pro LED light is capable of keeping them lit without any extra lighting.

The ZetaLux 2 Pro LED light is safe to operate around children and pets. It is well made with a metal base and plastic dome. It will not shatter glass everywhere if it breaks, preventing cuts into small feet or a pets intestines. It will also not let mercury vapors into your home if it breaks, unlike CFL bulbs (florescent). The ZetaLux 2 Pro LED light is made of high quality materials that are resistant to accidental breakage, unlike the thin glass CFL bulbs (florescent).

We plan to have our lighting 100 percent solar before 2013. The ZetaLux 2 Pro LED light is essential to us in meeting this goal. With the ZetaLux 2 Pro LED light, we need only purchase a small solar kit with 4 batteries and our goal will be accomplished. It is important to us to complete this goal of being completely solar and thanks to the ZetaLux 2 Pro LED light it may become a reality.
on September 20, 2011
I've used a number of LED light bulbs so far, ranging in price from $12 (this one) up to $50; until now, I haven't felt they were worth bothering with. The problems that I've had were:
a) they just aren't really bright enough to be used by themselves for anything
b) even when they were barely bright enough to be useable initially, they would fade over a few weeks of use, until they quickly became useless.
c) they were too darned expensive!!
So, up until now, I've been sticking with flourescent bulbs, which I can get for a few bucks each.

Now, however, I confidently say that issues 'a' and 'c' are dealt with, at lest by the EarthLED bulb!! I'm using it for my front-porch light, and it does a superb job! I don't know if it's really 60W equivalent, but it's plenty bright enough to light up our porch at night, so we can see though the little viewer lens. And at $15 each, I'm willing to give them a chance, though that's still 3-4 times what I pay for fluorescent bulbs of the same brightness.

Only time will tell if the fading issue is dealt with, I'm certainly hoping so...

//***********************************************************************
Later note, dated June 12, 2013

I can now confirm that issue 'b' is also addressed by this bulb; after almost two years of use, it has not faded in the slightest, and is still brightly lighting our front patio.

However, the current price is really NOT competitive any more; it is listed at $28 now (though I'm sure I paid less for it originally). Home Depot and other sources have a variety of good-quality LED 60-watt-equivalent bulbs for $10 to $15 available; I would NOT pay $28 for this or any other LED bulb now.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.