Oil month Automotive HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

East Is East
Format: DVD|Change

on March 4, 2015
I saw this movie on TV and had to have it. I am from London area and lived there during the time period that this film was made. It brought back so many memories and the movie itself is hilarious. I must warn you however some parts of the film are pretty raunchy and I would watch it first before allowing younger children to see it. If you like British humor then this movie is for you. I haven't laughed this much since John Cleese made Clockwise!
on August 6, 2015
Fun movie with interesting insights into the workings and challenges of cross-cultural and cross-religious families in modern society. Includes a realistic portrayl of true affection between the parents and a portrayl of shocking, cruel physical abuse of the English wife by the Pakistani husband when his cultural beliefs are resisted by the children. Well acted and well filmed.
on October 20, 2009
I've watched this film several times on TV and finally decided I wanted to buy it. It's set in England with a Pakistani father and an English mother. It deals with the problems associated with combining different cultures, especially for the children. There is language that many will find distasteful, but it's the way these people talk. There is also spousal abuse, but it actually is a dark comedy. I've enjoyed it every time I've seen it. Highly recommended, but not for young children.
on June 16, 2005
I have watched this movie several times, and each time I have been amused, and chagrined over how accurate the portrayal is of South Asians in Britain during the 60s. You have to understand that post-WW II britain had induced thousands of unskilled workers for their industry. These people were not educated, and many of them married locals. These locals were NOT middle class, or even lower middle class -- in socialist Britain, back in the 50s and 60s, there was still abject poverty. So what you see in the movie is accurate from both sides, South Asian, and the British.

George Khan is unable to reconcile the hopes and aspiration of his children with his upbringing -- even highly educated parents of today aren't able to bridge that gap, regardless of cultures. How often does an Italian marry a jewish person, or a white marries a black? By the way, I am punjabi, and I grew up in Pakistan, and I personally know families in Britain that are EXACTLY like George Khan's family.

Islam or its teachings has nothing to do with the portrayal of this family. The movie succeeds well in demonstrating George Khan's hypocrisy regarding his religion, his patriotism, his family ethics, even in choosing his wife; in one scene, he speaks lowly of all local white women, and when his son confronts him on why he married one, he ends the conversation by threatening to choke him if he continues with this line of reasoning. This is the story of one person's weaknesses in the context of different cultures. That's all. It's interesting to look inwardly for some people who are upset at this movie. I understand that embarrasment -- it's a good beginning. These people should watch this movie over and over again. It is cathartic not just for me as a punjabi Pakistani, but also as a person.

Om Puri who plays George is a fine actor in the tradition of actors like Lawrence Olivier and Anthony Hopkins. He really is a very fine character actor. He has acted in many Indian movies and some english. I will say this again, the family life portrayed in this movie for that period, given the pop culture movements of the 60s, and given the social class portrayed, this is a very accurate movie. I have this movie in my shelves and I watch it from time to time, and I recommend it to my friends, family, and new acquaintances. A hallmark of all great movies, like literature, is that they encourage debate. And this one does in its small way.
on January 3, 2017
Fun, funny movie! Great add to any collection. A bit of drama w comedy on very real cross cultural clashes. Not a kids show! Every moment will keep your attention!!
on July 4, 2016
I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I had to watch it for my Multicultural London course and I absolutely fell in love with the characters and the storyline. Om Puri is AMAZING!
on September 9, 2009
East is East is about a family with split religious beliefs. While the father desires to be the best Muslim father that he can be, despite the fact that he's married a non-Muslim woman of non-Eastern origin, almost all of his several children want only to fit in as residents of a basically all-catholic London suburb. In order to try to keep some semblance of peace, the children do everything they can to balance the conflict while the mother tries to be a sort of referee in the situation. The only drawback to the movie is that you might have to watch it several times to understand the dialog because of the father's heavy English and Eastern accent. The great thing is that the more times you watch this movie the more you get out of it. It's brilliantly funny and I've watched it several times and sent it to friends and family members as gifts and loaned my copy out and never had a bad review of it yet.
on January 16, 2017
Great classic movie about British Asians in the 70's - not everyone will get the humor but it's funny if u do!
on November 1, 2016
Awesome
on April 21, 2011
I heard a review of this movie recently on an NPR broadcast. Apparently there's a sequel being released this year. My order shipped quickly (great service) and the movie was great. Pretty funny 70's british humor.