Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on August 9, 2016
This book is well written. I find Pearl Buck's writing style a pleasure to read and her knowledge and understanding of Chinese culture deep and very helpful. This comes through clearly as the story is an interesting tale of the changing times in China. Although Pearl Buck never gives actual dates, it appears to me that this book is about Chinese life in the 1920s. The book kept me engrossed until the very end. I recommend it for a good read.
on December 17, 2017
Enjoyable but not my favorite Pearl S. Buck novel. I found that, while reading this I experienced a mild dislike for the old Chinese characters.
on February 21, 2014
I loved this book to see how different cultures view other cultures. How difficult it is to change our thoughts about people and their beliefs. It was very lovely book to watch the slow change of the protagonist and how she accepted the changing world around her. I could hardly put it down. Lovely.
on March 28, 2007
Of course it deserves five stars because of the great author, knowledge of Chinese Culture, good characters and wonderful story. It involves the delicate balance between the old Chinese customs of ancient medicine vs science, the choosing of ones own mate vs the old custom of parents making the choice. In this case, the family is not peasant but prominent, but the culture just as interesting. There is no action in this book but more of a love story. No peasants trying to survive in poverty but a cast of the entitled and a struggle of wills.
on October 30, 2013
Finally I have read Pearl Buck's very first book..... just after reading her very last book The Eternal Wonder. Her agony and sympathies over mixed race peoples in our world were the same all her life, it is evident. Also the keen freestanding of in our cultures.....Chinese and American... is vivid. The tale hits my heart. Vel
on September 14, 2017
I am enjoyimg all pf the Pearl S Buck novels that I have tead this year! I have not found one that Idid not like .
on March 20, 2013
I love Pearl Buck because I enjoy reading as a calming escape. Her work is always interesting, and keeps you turing pages without pulling you to the egde of your seat. The characters and plots are real and well written. Buck has a way of allowing you to care and invest yourself in her stories without crushing you under the weight of their context. But you never fail to come away from these reads with a little more insight than you started.

East Wind: West Wind is no exception. Very interesting and plausible story; at times enlightening. Sympathetic characters. Like many of her stories, set in old China, but the human truths revealed are universal.
on December 16, 2017
As good as the every books by her
on January 8, 2014
The psychological insights into the Matriarch of this unique Chinese family is breathtaking. The story unfolds and expands into fully blown awareness. I could not put it down. This is a ,master story teller, at her best.
on May 29, 2014
She told the story of the awaking of the China stuck in a time zone of centuries to the modern era in a poignant heart felt way for both those still in the time warp and those glimpsing the changing times. Her characters were so believable it wasn’t hard to believe she knew each on. Wonderful sensitive story.