Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 62 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 73 reviews
on February 6, 2012
This book is surprisingly thin, but the content is helpful. If you don't know any French, this is the book for you. It provides some common phrases on a variety of subjects, and also includes pronunciation.

One note: This book was originally published in 1956, so some things may be out of date. For example, asking to develop a roll of film, and calling a waiter garçon. I've been told by my French teacher that it's rude to call waiters garçon nowadays (which means "boy"), so, be warned. As far as I can tell, though, everything else is accurate and simple.

This book doesn't teach you how to have a conversation with a French person. It teaches you how to say basic things (Such as "where is the train station," "how much does it cost," "thank you," etc.). This would probably be a particularly good book for tourists.
on September 7, 2013
I've been studying French via the Pimsleur audio CD for a few months now, but I wanted to have an easy phrase book to consult. Being able to see the phrases written down (and phoenetically translated) has already been a big help. I purchased the 'Lonely Planet' phrase book and memorized several phrases to use with a collegue who is French by nationality. I was not happy when I realized my 'You're Welcome' phrase was not one of TWO phrases that he uses (while he may not be a living authority on French, he is a Frenchman). When I got this book, I immediately checked to see which phrase it had for 'you're welcome' and it was spot on. Before the night was over, I had 4 phrases I was practicing. It includes a very good translation table in the beginning and while it is 750 basic phrases, they are ones that you can easily expand on. When a page involves 'I want to go to --' typically 5-7 answers are included (i.e. the train, the plane, the bus). I'm very pleased with this purchase and can't wait to try them on my collegue.
on October 4, 2012
Just returned from France. This book was a good value, and gave me a good base for interpreting some things. I found it somewhat lacking on menu terms - common ones are in here, but not enough to figure out what each basic component was (for example, toppings to be added to an omelet). It was easy to search when needed. I'm glad that I bought it.
on May 20, 2012
This is a nice and handy book with "just enough" information! It also has a glossary, and a section on different scenarios, with different sub-headings; for example: "Restaurant", "Train Station", and more! Also handy: was a section of the most important words; for example: from, with, besides, next, there, here (basically, this book has all of those little words that we use all of the time). This book is light-weight --and I can see that it would help most people pronounce the words properly --and even have a great time --in France (or French speaking countries)! This book is small --but extremely well-organized!
on May 8, 2012
This is a pamphlet and not a book, so the price is right for what it is. When I travel I like to be able to say 'please' and 'thank you' and the other little niceties and this booklet works perfectly. It's small enough to carry with you and the literal pronunciation of each phrase is true to the language. I can direct taxis, find out how much something costs, order at a restaurant, etc. The only problem is that the locals think I can really speak the language and they immediately start babbling away. The most important phrase to learn is: 'I only speak a little bit and I don't understand you!' (Je ne parle un peu et je ne vous comprends pas) ;-)
on April 3, 2012
I was not able to save a human being from the clutches of death, but I was able to order, request the check, and make very low level French conversation with Parisians while on vacation.

The book breaks it into settings, so you won't be too lost for the right page when you're in a hurry. I had no trouble being understood, and people were happy to hear me try, and then switch to English if they spoke it. Although the switch was probably because they would have given anything to stop hearing me butcher more of the beautiful language.
on June 26, 2016
My students love it
on September 25, 2011
Just like it says, you can pick up some common phrases very quickly. You won't be able to have a conversation with someone in France, but you will be able to get enough of what you are trying to say across. Usually, letting them see that you are making an effort to speak their language is enough for them to speak English for you. If you are polite that is.)

There are a few phrases I would have liked to have seen, and a few that I don't think are necessary for a condensed book that's intended to get you through a couple of days in France. Otherwise it would have rated a 5.
on February 21, 2011
I especially like to phonetic pronunciation that goes along with standard French spelling of entry words. Also, the index at the back is excellent.
on July 24, 2012
I got this book before a trip to France and it was the perfect size to carry in my purse for use as a reference. The pronunciation guide is ideal - I was happy to see that it was in sync with what I was learning in my beginner level French class. Although the book may not have the exact sentence I'm looking for, I like the format in that it allows me to look up specific words, see similar questions or sentences, and piece together what I need. This allows the book to remain easily transportable.