Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 4,132 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,680 reviews
on February 22, 2016
So here's the thing. I want to write a bad review because that is what my toxic food addicted body/brain wants me to do and I almost gave in and did it. Then I stopped, ate some toxic food and went to bed. Woke up and finished the book and then decided to write the truth without regards to my fight against the American toxic diet.

I want to keep eating poorly because it tastes good. I want to eat cheese and as much as I can and at anytime. I want to continue eating luscious breads anytime I want and as much as I want. I want to eat sweets without reserve. I love butter. Cereal and milk. And pizza.

And that is just the short list.

And I'm miserable with my weight because of my excess and eating whatever I want. Breads, sweets, dairy, meat sometimes. But my toxic body revels in it. And I am normal, unfortunately. And I want to stay normal at all costs. And yet normal is miserable, for me, at least.

So reading this book for the second time I am faced with the fact that in order to be where I want to be: healthy and fit, I can either change or stay the same or be somewhere in the middle. I usually go for the somewhere in the middle and then end up going back to the same, but I never really change.

This book is about change. It is about eating mainly vegan - no matter what the other reviewers say - it really is about veganism. I have always been jealous of vegans = because it is the hardest thing a normal eating person can be.

This book advises against all animal products - no matter what other reviewers say. Furhman states over and over that animal products are bad for the human body, toxic to the liver, great for cancer and fat, bad for humans. Yes, he does say that over and over, and then a sentence will come up here and there stating you can have a little fish if you are this kind of person or you can have some meat twice a week if you are that person, but really, he wants you to be vegan. No animals products. Sigh. NO CHEESE.

He hates cheese. Really, it really bugs him. Not once does he ever say, you can have cheese if you are that kind of person or this kind of person. I guess cheese is really bad. Uggh. My toxic body is crying - don't stop the cheese, please. I just had a cheese sandwich - luscious bread, too much cheese, swiss and cheddar, some lettuce, a bit of processed turkey, mayo, mustard, italian dressing. Sometimes I add tomato and cucumber (to appease Furhman).

He states over and over a lb of greens and a lb of vegetables per day. He does tend to mix things up and kind of says one thing then changes it a little then goes back to what he said earlier, so he goes in circles at times to where you are not really sure what you should do. That does sort of drive you crazy in trying to figure out what exactly you should do. But I do know this is what he really is trying to say: to be healthy, you must stop the bread, stop the pasta, stop the sweets, stop the cheese, stop the milk, stop the meat, stop the fish, stop oils, stop diet sodas, stop over eating - just stop.

To lose weight: eat vegetables, eat fruit, beans and nuts in smaller amounts, oatmeal is acceptable also (I think). Again, it depends upon the page.

He does sell a lot of products on his website and they are expensive. But it all looks healthy and good.

If you are strong enough this diet/way of life, can really change your life, I truly believe this. I didn't give it 5 stars because it is so restrictive - but that is not necessarily bad, I'm just kinda weak battling my food demons. And I must be jealous of Furhman, in some way, so the penalty is 4 stars when he probably, most likely, deserves 5.
88 comments| 184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2010
So, six weeks later and I'm done the first stage of Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" diet. I'm really excited about this diet and thought I'd spread the word. This looks a bit like some sort of infomercial but I promise you I'm not getting paid for this, and these questions are a big summary of the ones I've been getting for the past 6 weeks.

What is this diet?
In short, it is six weeks of vegan food with no booze, caffeine, salt, or fat. That means no olive oil, nuts, or fatty things that are still good for you like avocados. After 6 weeks you transition to a diet that can include meat and alcohol plus days where you can eat whatever the heck you want. That's where I'm going now.

Why did you go on it?
My cholesterol was too high. I was slowly putting on weight and not liking the way I looked. I was sick of pretending that doing nothing was going to work.

Does it work?
In short, yes. I lost a total of 24 pounds in 6 weeks. It kind of blows my mind that I still don't look the way I want and I had 24 pounds on TOP of that. That's what years of gradual weight gain will do to someone I guess.

Do you get hungry?
Actually, no. This one surprised me the most. The basic premise is that you should eat 1 pound of raw vegetables, 1 pound of cooked vegetables, and 1 cup of beans a day. Think about that, it is a lot of food (you can also add more to that as long as it is healthy stuff). I often had trouble finishing the meals I was supposed to eat.

What do you eat?
Breakfast consisted of a bunch of fruit or some oatmeal a few times a week. Lunch was pretty much always an enormous salad. Dinner varied and I learned to cook a lot of different things and make extra for leftovers. I'd usually have a small(er) side salad, some sort of main entree (beans, mushrooms, some sort of fat free sauce), and some more veggies. You're allowed a little bit of bread now and then (as well as some starchy vegetables) so I never got massive carb cravings or anything.

Do you get enough nutrients?
Yes. This was a big eye opener for me, but I never realized how much protein is actually in vegetables. Calorie for calorie, vegetables have WAY more protein than meat. That is why you have to eat huge salads though, you need to eat more to get the same amount of protein in chicken or steak, for instance.

What would you change about the diet?
Some of the recipes in the book are rather ridiculous. I spent 4 hours cooking his "famous" anti-cancer soup and if I never have that crap again I'll be a happy man. Also, he kept wanting me to have simple green salads that I would soak in orange juice. Um...no thanks, I'll pass. So I bought the fat free balsamic vinagrette at Trader Joe's ate that with all of my salads (only 25 calories per serving). I probably had a pinch more salad and fat because of it but it was worth it to me to have food that tasted normal. I ended up getting a lot of my recipes online through google searches for "eat to live recipes".

Can you go out to eat?
Basically no. I did a few times and it was always depressing as the options were basically crappy salads with no dressing. I can get that at home. Some Ethiopian and Indian places had barely passable options but that was mainly with my eyes closed pretending that there was only a bit of oil in them. Stay home if you can manage. He mentions that some people live on this strict diet the rest of their life. Personally, that seems insane and I could NOT do that. I really miss going out to eat.

What was the hardest part?
Going out with friends. Life is based around food and alcohol. I figured I could plow through 6 weeks of it, and I did, but it was NOT easy. Not eating wasn't a big deal, and not eating most of the food was OK too, but not doing both was basically torture.

Now what?
Well, I move into the "rest of my life" diet. That means eating basically what I've been eating the last 6 weeks for the majority of my meals (especially easy for breakfast and lunch by myself at my desk at work). The rest of my meals I can eat a healthy non-vegan meal or splurge and get what I want. My weight should drop a little more, just more slowly, and then level off. You can also drink at this point. That will be a welcome relief. I'm also really glad I learned how to cook really healthy food. I actually learned to love to cook which was a lot of fun.

Why do you recommend this diet?
1) it works.
2) the books is really good and educational. I would recommend it even if you don't go on the diet. It really breaks down why it works and the science behind it. It also takes a really objective look at other diets which, in the end, made me not want to try them.
3) I was never hungry
4) It gave me a lot of tools I can use the rest of my life to make better and more informed decisions.

So, that's it. I know this whole things sounds ridiculous and corny, but I've really never felt so damn awesome and enthusiastic before. It was hard in some ways, as people really do want to find reasons to get you off a diet. The temptation to cheat can be intense, but I stuck to it, and feel great. Mind you, I'm dying for a martini, but in the end six weeks wasn't the worst thing in the world.
10050+ comments| 3,460 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2015
I can not say enough good things about this book and the approach to eating it recommends! I have lost 20+ pounds in 6 weeks!!! I have more energy, sleep better, have much improved mood and I glow, I glow from the inside out!! I never feel hungry. When I veer off once in a great while and have a porterhouse steak and Boston cream pie, I LONG to go back to the clean way of eating: lots of beans, delicious fruits (oranges never tasted so good), kale with no oil tahini sauce, a cup of brown rice pasta a day (when you measure it out, a cup is really a LOT), kidney beans boiled in vegetrable broth, lots of spinach, an ounce (1/4 cup of nuts). It just feels soooo good to eat this way, and not to be dieting, a practice I abhor. I like to eat as much as I want and I can here, I can eat all of God's foods (those that are grown or come from the earth) and I receive all of the important nutrients that makes my body and my mind so incredibly happy!!!! I can not believe the way the weight has MELTED off my body!!! My old clothes now fit beautifully!!! Imagine how great it feels to see yourself as shapely and as glowing and as happy as can be. Implement the six week program and say good bye to fat, health problems (my blood pressure went down to very high to normal within 2 weeks), sloggy movements, cloudy moods, toss and turn sleep and say hello to vibrancy, beauty and good health!!!
on October 19, 2014
This is an excellent guide to permanent weight loss and nutritious eating. And despite what some people think, this is not a 100% vegan eating plan. It is true that the first 6 weeks of the plan are 100% vegan with no added salt, no sugar, no booze, no added fats, no snacking, no processed foods. After that, you can start adding modest amounts of animal products (emphasis on modest amounts), a bit of alcohol if you drink it, etc. Dr. F. is pretty adamant about doing the program as written for the first six weeks, and I agree with him--it's better to make a 100% commitment from the get-go.

There's no doubt that the first 6 weeks will be tough if you eat a lot of meat, dairy, cheese, and processed foods. But if you stick it out, you'll see major changes in your blood numbers and weight. You'll be surprised at how your taste buds will change.

You will be eating massive amounts of food--the only way this plan can work is if you eat a LOT, because what you eat is very low in calories and high in nutrient density. If you don't like vegetables, you'll need to do a 180; this program will not work without eating a huge amount of vegetables, particularly green vegetables. Again, taste buds do adjust with time.

I segued into this way of eating from decades as a vegetarian. It's quite common for lots of vegetarians to eat the same amount of processed crap that people on SAD (Standard American Diet) do. That wasn't me, but I used to eat a lot of pasta and bread, plus eggs and cheese, and I wanted to tweak my diet when my cholesterol crept up a bit. I followed the Eat to Live plan, and in six weeks, my blood numbers were perfect. That gave me the incentive to keep it up. I also lost weight some weight, and I was not overweight when I started.

The proof of the pudding--I'm 58 1/2 years old, slim, in very good health, take no pharmaceuticals whatsoever, have excellent blood pressure, and have lots of energy. I do not have genes on my side--both my folks died at age 66 (mom from multiple sclerosis and dad from lung cancer and heart disease) and both of my grandfathers had type 2 diabetes. Given my family history, I will take whatever dietary steps necessary to keep from getting diet- and lifestyle-based diseases.

I must say that I don't buy any of Dr. F's products and don't follow his recipes. You can find lots of recipes online, or I just use my existing cookbooks and modify recipes as needed. Nor am I as death on added fat as he is. Vegetables sauteed in a little bit of good olive oil simply taste a zillion times better than water-sauteed vegetables. My feeling is that if a bit of olive oil will keep someone eating all the vegetables that this plan requires, go for it. Since I've never been overweight, I allow myself more leeway on fats than Dr. F. does, but I'm also pretty active (lots of walking, yoga, etc.). Most of my fat intake is from avocados and a few nuts. I do not use oceans of oil when I saute; just a modest amount adds a lot of flavor. Or, you can water saute or steam the vegetables and toss them with a bit of oil right before serving.

My overall eating plan is pretty simple: breakfast is usually a green smoothie, or some oatmeal or muesli (raw rolled oats soaked overnight in almond milk with added fruit). Lunch is a stew of vegetables, beans, and greens; I alter the ingredients and the spices so sometimes it's Indian, sometimes Italian, etc. I make a big batch of it on Sunday and eat it throughout the week. I also have about 1/3 cup plain yogurt with hemp seeds, and an apple or pear for "dessert". Dinner is usually soup and a salad, or hummous and tabouli, or some other vegan entree. with fruit for dessert if I want it. I do not snack, so when mealtime comes around, I'm hungry and the food tastes great. I wouldn't do this if I didn't really enjoy eating this way ... but it took time even for me to enjoy hard core greens like kale and collards. Now I love them. I also love seeing the brilliant colors on my plate from the array of vegetables and fruit that I eat. More than anything, I love the results.

I'm quite sold on Dr. F.'s program. For me, it really works.
on January 25, 2017
I am excited about doing this program and have a great deal of respect for Dr. Fuhrman. But, I would like to offer this caution to anybody, who is like me, that is not used to eating a lot of fiber - GO EASY ON THE VEGGIES INITIALLY- Do half - or SUFFER the consequences. I am bloated and in pain. I need to build up to (the 1 lb of raw + 1 lb of cooked veggies + 1 cup of beans) 6 week detox program.
on January 3, 2017
I have already experienced a more rapid weight loss rate and better overall health (feeling of wellness, better skin) than I ever did on Dr. McDougall's Starch Diet.

The starch diet gave me bad skin and constipation. I also didn't realize how little energy I had eating so much starch (in the form of rice, corn, potatoes)...until I stopped eating it.
When I began the starch diet, I lost weight initially (10 lbs). It put me back at my setpoint weight...and there I stayed for 5 months.
I was so confused by my weight plateau. Any "plant-based" diet is supposed to work for weight loss, right?

Being vegan is now a no-brainer for me. I've enjoyed being animal product and oil-free for almost a year now.

But Dr. Fuhrman's "Nutritarian" regimen took my health to the next level. To nutritional EXCELLENCE.
His recommendations make sense when you think about it: eat more low-starch, mostly GREEN veggies > fill your belly up with more low-Cal nutrient-dense foods > lose weight more effortlessly, more quickly, and keep the weight off.
It also helps to know that beans are a "safe" starch that won't cause the same weight gain as the white starch sources (rice, white potatoes).

I'm so grateful to Dr. Fuhrman for helping me learn what diet's best for me.

Eating more green veggies isn't so bad when you know how to cook them. Give this diet/lifestyle a try!
on August 24, 2016
In my opinion, this is the most important book on nutrition, diet and long-term healthy lifestyle on the market. I've read about and tried many diets, but this one is for a lifetime of disease-free health and longevity. The key is eating nutrient-rich foods and eating as much as you want! My husband and I also bought the audio book and listened to it in the car while traveling on road trips. It turned all of our fixed ideas about food and diet upside down and inside out. After 3 weeks of adhering to the nutritional plan in this book, my 61-year-old, overweight, high-blood-pressure-y, diabetic husband had the lowest blood sugar levels since he was diagnosed two years ago and his blood pressure hit lowest ever in 10 years (almost normal!). Besides that, he's lost 20 lbs! I've lost weight too. It's a lifestyle change that is working!
on January 28, 2017
This book changed me life!!! This is an honest review and I receive nothing in return for it. The reason I say that is because I was skeptical before starting this diet if everyone was just being paid to say these great things, well I'm here to tell you that they aren't!

I'm finishing up the first 6 weeks tomorrow but I plan to eat like this for ever now thanks to my amazing results. I've lost 30 pounds, I feel SO much better, my anxiety has been greatly reduced and I no longer have a foggy mind. If I would have known how my life would change on this diet I would have done it long ago! We also purchased the cookbook and found some really yummy recipes in there. I can't recommend this book enough. If you are considering purchasing it please do, it will change your life! I truly believe this diet has given me my life back, I'm me again!!
on November 7, 2016
I have been a meat and potatoes man my whole life. After being diagnosed with diabetes and experiencing lower leg pain I knew it was time to do something. I started incorporating more of what the book recommends and am already feeling better.
on August 3, 2013
Was just skimming through the reviews here and I think there's a common misconception that this is exclusively a weight loss plan. The nutrition information provided is in fact in grave importance to anyone seeking to avoid chronic health conditions.

Take it from someone who ate whatever I wanted, now paying the price at 30 for ignoring the fact that food's purpose is to provide nutrients rather than just enjoyment.

I am a few weeks in to doing the plan 100%, but am a member of many groups where lives were literally saved and turned around by following these guidelines.

Having slowly been implementing his foods over the past few years, I no longer get chronic headaches, I heal faster, my anxiety is gone & I lost 20-30lbs. I have seen a definite improvement.

Now that I am on the plan 100% I hope to rid myself of fatigue and autoimmune issues I have had since childhood.

I find it incredible that everyone would just prefer a quick fix - dangerous diet pills, surgery or ketosis diets than to eat healthfully. The whole point is that you adjust to the foods, and you do start enjoying them. You can still have meat, or even just follow the plan 80%. Even just throwing in a few meals each week would help people. It's up to you - not everyone truly wants to be well.

As Bill Clinton is on a version of this diet & has reversed his heart disease I think the results speak for themselves. Venus Williams has also reversed her autoimmune problem on a raw vegan diet. I think the people calling Fuhrman a quack need to recognize that just because this is something they don't have the motivation to do, it is certainly a proven option for reversing disease.