Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on December 21, 2016
  “Let me be clear. I am not a doctor. Nor am I an expert on nutrition, exercise physiology, or sleep disorders. I am just a patient. I also happen to be a researcher and voracious reader who loves to extract valuable findings and share them with friends. In this book, you will find the most credible and practical ideas I have found so far. What I learned from all this research influences my countless daily decisions. Every bite of food either increases or decreases my odds of spending a few more years with my wife and two young children. Half an hour of exercise in the morning makes for better interactions all day. Then a sound night of sleep gives me energy to tackle the next day. I am a more active parent, a better spouse, and more engaged in my work when I eat, move, and sleep well.”

~ Tom Rath from Eat Move Sleep

Eat Move Sleep.

The simple, powerful keys to optimal health and well-being.

We talk about these fundamentals ALL the time and this is my new favorite book on health. And, Tom Rath is one of my new favorite teachers.

His work is backed by a TON (!!!) of scientific research and he distills it all into very simple, fun, smart, practical tips we can apply *TODAY*! (My kind of guy.) Plus, you can tell he’s just a *really* good human. Super passionate, humble, hard-working, balanced and integrated while committed to making a huge difference in the world.

I’m excited to share some of my favorite Big Ideas:

1. Eat Move Sleep - Work on all three simultaneously.
2. 10,008 Hours + 36 Minutes - For peak performance.
3. Candy for Cancer Cells - 150 lbs of sugar = not good.
4. Want to Improve? - Measure!
5. Buy Willpower - At the store.

I hope you enjoyed this quick look at a great book. Here’s to optimizing our fundamentals as we actualize our potential in greatest service to the world!

More goodness— including PhilosophersNotes on 300+ books in our ​*OPTIMIZE*​ membership program. Find out more at brianjohnson . me.
on January 24, 2018
Essentially this book is a compilation of lifestyle hacks as it especially relates to one's diet, exercise, and sleep. It is inundated with facts and results from numerous studies. In the midst of every section in every chapter you will find methods to go about doing what benefits you the most. In my opinion there are many good tips backed by numerous studies on many different lifestyle topics. The text isn't anything special and you wouldn't find much groundbreaking information in it. Reading it will certainly help more than hurt and I would suggest it to anybody who is seeking (or is interested in) lifestyle help as it pertains to one's mental and physical well-being.

I would like to mention that a reviewer called it "subjective" but in the back there are a boatload of links that are in reference to the author's claims. Therefore, if one is skeptical about anything they can independently verify the author's findings. But I can see where this reviewer (and probably others) found this text subjective. The author talks about himself and his habits a good amount of the time. It's irritating, but certainly doesn't make this book "subjective" because his main claims are presumably scientific.
on October 2, 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I remember hearing an NPR report one day that your morning workout was almost totally diminished by the fact that you (me) sit all day long. I remember kind of panicking about that and I thought of it often. And then I read this book and that is one of the central points - YOU ARE MEANT TO MOVE. One of the gigantic take-aways I got from this is that I NEED a desk around my treadmill. The author, Tom Rath, deals with a very rare genetic condition and he utilizes many basic "tricks" to engineer his environment - walking at 1.5 mph all day long is one of them. Okay, so I thought HOW do you read and walk on a treadmill?? Well, at 1.5 and even up to about 2 mph I can do that! Who knew!! Another fast take away I got from the book was the 20/2 rule. Again, deals with sitting at a corporate desk all day long - so if this does not apply to you - you're a bit luckier. Set a timer for 20 minutes and get up for 2 minutes. I modified this - 30/3. And let me tell you - the difference is thousands of steps (I wear a fitbit) a day. It is unbelievable. Now I am going to disclose entirely TMI - there have been days where I have sat soooo long in front of my monitors my butt goes numb and then hurts!! NO MORE! Now knowing exactly what damage I am doing by allowing myself to do this, all in the name of working ushered a change in my behavior - SO SIMPLE TO DO! I am up and walking a lap or two around my floor every 30 minutes. Okay, this is getting way too long - and you have to read the book because there is so much to apply - but Tom hammers on the importance of sleep - again - GUILTY - I regularly go 6 hours sometimes 3 hours (tracking everything with fitbit) - and you need 8++ hours to get the body repairing itself. That is going to be my new goal to work on. One fast read - TONS to apply - you will not be disappointed with this book. It is so darn practical and doable. Get it today, apply it tomorrow.
44 comments| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 13, 2015
I am sixty-five years old and have read life-improvement books for most of that time. There are six I actually think I got something out of. The rest were a waste of time. This is one of the valuable ones.

I recently read "Get Up! Why Your Chair Is Killing You and What You Can Do About It" by Dr James Levine. It too, is in that top six. Both "Get Up!" and "Eat Move Sleep" promote sane, cutting-edge, doable things most of us need to change about our lives.

In my fifties I was still teaching drama and dance (and moonlighting as an Iyengar Yoga instructor). When a divorce, broken foot, and back injury had me down for a year, I started editing screenplays from home. In a recliner. I had to use a walker to get to the bath and the kitchen. And I ate whatever I could grab and carry back to the recliner. It's gotten better. With the incredibly motivating information in the two books mentioned, I'm off the walker, standing at a tall laptop desk to edit, sitting on a balance ball when I have to give my back a rest, and moving around the kitchen each day in order to make a fresh salad with lots of fruits and veggies.

I won't go on ... you get the idea. If "Eat Move Sleep" and "Get Up!" can motivate a stubborn broad like me, I guarantee it'll motivate you to change your life for the better. (By the way, I'm going to be back on campus teaching drama again next semester, and playing electric guitar at local L.A. gigs. Thank you, Tom Rath!)
on November 7, 2013
Entrepreneurs as top athletes

Always believed that an healthy mind is a key success factor in running and growing a business and that there is huge overlap between sports and business. Entrepreneurs are the top athletes of the business world. With the same passion, the same ability to postpone gratification, with the same ability to focus and the same ability to suffer when needed.

Simple focus

When you listen to sports coaches, they talk exactly the same language as managers, but in a different context and with more focus on results and more of the fluff removed in sports. I once heard Ray Colgan of Ulster Bank speak about the Dublin Gaelic football team. Key metrics? Tackle count and training hours. Simple as that.

Sport and measurement

Recently I was a sportsforbusiness event organised by Rob Hartnett, where sports initiatives and concept were pitching. 2 companies talked about measurement of sleeping patterns, food intake and training effort for athletes. Imagine doing the same for entrepreneurs. Ensuring a healthy mind in a healthy body and a key contributor to business success.

Our clients

Our clients are also always looking for ways to engage with their staff and ensure that they are happy. Maybe it should become more holistic and include all aspects of life, including sleeping and that goes beyond “Employee first, customer second” or “The great workplace” and would suggest a more holustic approach.

Move, eat, sleep

Which is a long into Move, Eat, Sleep by Tom Rath. Tom has a genetic disorder, which means he is very susceptible to cancer. Which means he needs to watch what he is doing and eating all the time. In this book he shares his experiences, the research and his observations. Absolutely fascinating.

The title says it all. You need to sleep well and it is the most important lesson. Not sleeping well kills. You need to eat properly. Sugar kills. carbohydrates kills. Movement is key. Not just exercise. You need very regular movement during the day. Sitting kills. Watching TV kills.

The stats

Here are some of the stats:

- 9 out of 10 people are killed by diseases that are avoidable (heart and lung disease, cancer, diabetes)

- If you spend most of your time sitting down you increase your risk of death by these diseases by 50%

- Sitting kills more people than smoking.

- Sugar kills more people than heroin, cocaine or other controlled substance (he predicts that in 10 -15 years we will be suing the sugar companies the way we sued the cigarette companies)

- Intake of fruit and vegetable is a predictor of happiness

- Carbs are more addictive than cocaine

- Fewer carbs curbs cancer rates by 50%

- Lack of sleep costs the economy 63 billion a year

- Four hours of sleep loss produces ad much impairment as a six pack of beer

- Eating processed food regularly (sausages!) increases your risk of pancreatic cancer by 21%.

- Daily red meat increase your risk of death by 20%

- Chronic sleep impairment ages you 4 to 7 years

- Regular activity increases the size of your brain

- More than 4 hours TV per day increases your cause of death by 48%

- One hour TV costs 22 minutes of your live

- Fruit drinks are worse then soda

- If you commute more then 45 minutes you are 40% more likely to divorce

Brand washed

It does make a few reference to the marketers and how we are being manipulated and fooled by the words they use, the ingredients they put into food to make us all addicts. Straight out of “Brandwashed”.

- Pick fruits and vegetables with dark and vibrant colours

- White is bad (rice, bread, potato)

- Aim for 10,000 steps per day

- Omega 3 is good for your brain. Low levels of Omega3 shrink the brain.

- Activity slows aging

- Eat apples, artichokes, blueberries, bok choy, broccoli, green tea, kale, lemons, mushrooms, raspberries, red grapes, red wine, salmon, strawberries, and tomatoes.

- Also consider eating ingredients commonly used for flavor that have cancer-fighting potential: cinnamon, garlic, nutmeg, parsley, and turmeric

- Foods likely to increase the health and thickness of hair include blueberries, salmon, spinach, and walnuts

- Research has shown that a variety of berries, blueberries and strawberries in particular, serve as a “natural housekeeper” for your health

- Broccoli is the new black. Emerging science suggests that consuming broccoli can alter the way your genes are expressed, thus playing a powerful role in preventing everything from cancer to heart disease

- Just one serving of fatty fish per week was associated with a 44 percent reduction in risk of kidney cancer

So if you move well, sleep well, don’t watch TV and eat broccoli and berries, you live to be at least 90. And you be more successful and happy.
on September 30, 2015
Not sure what I just read?? I liked parts of it but the organization is sooo scattered and it's hard to follow. He skips around on topics and mixes themes. I am not sure this went through an editor. I promise you, it's that bad. There is some food intend and passion behind it so I hope someone edits a new version because anyone who has eve an inkling of annoyance and rambling dialogue with not like this book unfortunately. I think I like the authors point of view though, so again, edit this and reorganize it so have like topics together that flow from start to finish. I have donated book already. I pray someone buys it at thrift store and gets something out of it.
I didn't realize how much Tom Rath would resonate with me. Eat Move Sleep is eye opening and so very relevant to today's world. So many of us are busy for the sake of being busy...Tom would suggest that to be healthy we take a completely different tact.
The book is not laden with scientific jargon in fact it is a book that is easy to read and move through.
I think everyone needs to read this...we can all get something out of it.
on September 16, 2017
I am on my third go around with the audio book in the car. So much practical information we don't learn in school - wish as kids were more educated in these topics...maybe the kids are today. Thanks for a great subject matter and personal experience Tom.
on November 6, 2015
Do you want to improve your overall health? Well, look no further. Tom Rath will give you everything you have always wanted to know about improving what you eat, how you sleep, & the exercises one should do to be in optimal condition. Are you ready for the challenge?
on April 4, 2017
Nice general advice, but has lots of questionable medical information without citations. In one chapter the author claims that the act of sitting down in and of itself raises your cholesterol level. I am not a doctor, but the process has to be waaaay more complex than that.