Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Eat Raw, Eat Well: 400 Raw, Vegan and Gluten-Free Recipes
Format: Paperback|Change

on May 7, 2012
I have been a fan of Doug McNish since I stumbled upon his recipes on Blisstree last year. I made his sour cream and onion kale chips and his pumpkin pie. Both were simple and delicious. When I heard he had a whole book out, I had to get it immediately! So far I have only tried a few things - you can see I added my photo of the banana bread with cashew whipped cream. It was FANTASTIC! I also made cashew spinach dip, packed with a whole head of fresh spinach, lots of lemon juice and black pepper and cheesy nutritional yeast. I ate it for dinner with carrot sticks and celery sticks and it was so filling I took the other half for lunch - and I halved the recipe to begin with. If you are just cooking for yourself, I would cut some of the recipes in half if you don't think you'll want to eat more than one set of leftovers. His recipes are really flexible and seem to come out delicious no matter what you do! I have read all the raw books - we know who the "main" people are in this world - and their recipes just don't come out right all the time. Someone can be a great chef without creating great adaptable recipes. Thankfully, Doug is both! I can't say enough good things about this book, just buy it, trust me! Or, if you want to try it out, request it at your local library - mine is ordering a copy already.
review imagereview image
33 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 3, 2014
I think this is a good cookbook and I really appreciate the volume of recipes it contains, as many raw cookbooks are rather thin. However, if you are new to raw foods, I wouldn't recommend this book to start with because it contains a large number of recipes which require a dehydrator, a mandolin, uncommon ingredients, etc. That being said, I still like this cookbook. All of the recipes I've tried have been delicious and even though I do not own a dehydrator, for example, I can still make his recipes (I dehydrate in my toaster oven). If you are new to raw foods, I would suggest you first become familiar with substitutions for ingredients which are common for raw food but hard to find in your local grocery store, otherwise this book may be overwhelming and a disappointment.

I dislike how the pictures in this book are located in two sections, very close to the middle of the book. It makes navigating the book a little awkward. I also wish the book had been formatted in such a way as to make it easier to find the beginning of each section. The other cookbooks I own have colored pages or something similar to denote the beginning of a new category of recipes, which makes it easier to find when you're flipping through the pages quickly. I do not mind however, having to flip all around the book to find the recipes for various components of one recipe because almost every single raw cookbook I've owned is formatted like that.

The main difficulty I've experienced with this book are the overabundance of nuts in the recipes. This would not be a problem if I were cooking only for myself, but as I usually cook dinner for my boyfriend as well, who has a tree nut allergy, I am oftentimes limited on which recipes I can use. If you don't have a nut allergy, then don't let this deter you. But if, for any reason at all, you are restricted on which nuts you can eat, this book will be a little more difficult to work with (but I expected that when I bought it since nuts are a large component of raw vegan diets).

As I said before, this is a good cookbook and everything I've made so far has been delicious. It is taking me a long time to work through this book, partly because most of these dishes take a long time to prepare and I try to balance the more involved recipes in this book with other, simpler recipes from other cookbooks, and partly because there are just so many recipes to try! If you want to eat delicious food and aren't afraid of spending some extra time in the kitchen or being a little more involved in your food prep, then I would recommend this book. Even if you are a beginner to raw foods, if you're not afraid of a challenge, then I'd recommend this book as a good place to start if you're looking to advance your raw foods lifestyle.
on October 17, 2017
Simple and effective. Easy recipes for the un-initiated. I have a large collection of raw food book and frankly can't do any of those recipes because they are way too complicated using tons of hard to find ingredients and mostly they have to be prepared separately and that is why I coudln't apply raw food to my diet. NOT THIS ONE. It is so easy, it's a joke, matter of fact., after reading a few recipes I think I 'm kind of expert in transferring several recipes into raw food. Those are ingredients that I have in my refrigerator.

I love this book. A work of a genius.
on October 14, 2013
Mr. McNish - where have you been all my life?? Although I am a long-time vegetarian (vegan in the 90's & vegan again), I've just recently discovered the raw food world. After having purchased about 4 other raw food recipe books, this one is BY FAR the best. In fact, I have pretty much ditched the others. This book is like having the author right there beside you in the kitchen because he has listed "Hints" on the left side of each page and also "variations" under each recipe. To address some negative reviews on here regarding the preparation times, most of these recipes require far less time than I found in other books. True, for some there is soaking time and the references to other recipes in the book to go with certain meals, but I have found his recipes to be easy. Here's what I have tried so far:
Buckwheaty Hemp Chocolate Granola (very crunchy; stays crunchy in milk)
Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding (I plan to adapt this one for a Southern Banana Pudding - awesome)
Brown Rice Miso Broth
Sun-dried Tomate French Dressing (I'm not a fan of French dressing - but this is amazing)
Lemon-Avacado Dressing (wonderful, but I will use less lemon juice next time)
Almond Parmesan Cheese (a great vegan substitute - yummy)
Sprouted Quinoa Pilaf (finally - Quinoa I can love)
Spicy Kimchi (this is now fermenting - will update review at the end of this week; very easy to make)
Coconut Macaroons (absolutely easy & "to die for")
Creamy Ranch Kale Chips (I love kale chips - these are SO GOOD that I found myself sneaking pieces off the dehydrator before they were done!)
Not one bad recipe in this list! I honestly cannot say that about the other raw food books I've tried - they are hit & miss (mostly miss). If you are a new raw foodie and searching for THE ultimate book - buy this one. You will find loads of flavor, easy ingredients, helpful hints, and gorgeous photos. My theory is that you can tell a good "cookbook" by how much food gets splattered on the pages! Believe me, I use this one daily and it has it's share of splatters! Enjoy!
on December 22, 2015
Ok, be forewarned that the majority of recipes need a food dehydrator and a high speed blender. Also, access to a lot of raw nuts along with hemp milk, etc....Its well written and pretty, but I dont know what I was expecting but this is my first introduction to raw food eating. Don't think this is for me as I live in a small town and would have to order a lot of the ingredients through the mail. It also uses Agave a lot, which I don't use due to the high glycemic index.... guess I was hoping for a healthy eating, with out being too high on the carbs. My bad--but this will be given to someone who doesn't have insulin resistance problems...and are already maybe eating this way.
on October 1, 2012
I've served the Jicama Potato Salad, Green Coconut Curried Vegetables, Kale Waldorf Salad, Pumpkin Refried Beans and more to my family with great reviews. From smoothies to sides to main dishes, this uncookbook could be the only recipe book you will need because there is such a variety of recipes. I use it every day and it rarely spends time on my shelf. Granted the recipes don't taste exactly like the real deal, but this is probably about as close as you can get to them by eating raw and healthy. This book has clever recipes that combine flavor and technique to achieve delicious results. Even my meat and potato family loves these recipes.

Though Doug has 400 recipes in this book, many of the recipes have variations and tips to allow for creativity, flavor or ingredient preferences which pushes the recipe count higher in my estimation.

I will mention that I've had this book since I started my raw journey and some of the recipes scared me because I was still figuring out how to be raw. I'm visual and though there are some pictures, there aren't nearly as many pictures as there are recipes. Now that I'm more familiar with raw uncooking, I absolutely love this book! Some of the recipes are time consuming to prepare, but a lot of them can be done quickly and easily. Doug also uses a lot of ingredients that are readily available. When he has recipes with uncommon ingredients, he generally offers tips on where to obtain ingredients or substitutions. I have other books that call for ingredients that I can't purchase in my area which complicates food preparation.

Thanks Doug for making raw food uncooking fun!
on October 21, 2012
I love this book. There are so many recipes I can't wait to get started. Actually, I've already made a few and they are simply delicious. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that is becoming a Raw foodist or would like to achieve a healthier lifestyle. The benefits of buying this book would be very beneficial for everyone. Thank you so much, I will not be disappointed in trying all these new recipes. I actually am beginning a raw food journey and I wasn't sure how to prepare my meals for the week and I was afraid I'd have difficulty staying on this path. With this book, I feel it has been a lifesaver. Thank you very much!
on December 13, 2016
This book is amazing! It offers so many options, and multiple knowledge and experience levels for raw vegan cooks. Yes, many recipes require a dehydrator, but most people who are going to stick with being raw vegan will want to own one anyway. Every recipe I have tried turned out fabulous! You can't go wrong adding this book to your recipe collection.
on June 17, 2012
I'm a book-junkie of all kinds. Especially raw food. I pretty much buy every raw food book that comes down the pike. (I think Amazon has a portrait of me hanging in their corporate office.) This book is by far my favorite one. It's the easiest to understand and follow. I've got several books that after reading the recipe I go, "Huh?". Not with "Eat Raw Eat Well"! Everything is made clear and the dishes are delicious!! And there are four-hundred of them!! What a deal!! I highly recommend this book!!
on July 24, 2012
I have been mainly raw for 8+ years now. It has been quite a wonderful transition over this time. I have many recipes books and have never written a review before. However Douglas has done such an outstanding job with his book I couldn't resist. Wonderful recipes, that are easy to prepare, easy to find ingredients (at least for most of the recipes) and they taste great. I am still working through my list of ones I want to try and amazed that my list is so long. I often find a dozen or so "must fix" recipes in most of the books I purchase however in this book my list is at least twice that and I didn't even list all I wanted to give a try. This will be a recipe book that stays close at hand and I will be preparing several new raw dishes each week from it. This book will even go to our local "Raw Meet Up Group" that meets monthly for me to share with others new and old to raw so they can get their own copy. Douglas you did a wonderful job and thank you for sharing your knowledge with others. Trish in Florida.