Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. Get 10% back on select Bang & Olufsen products Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on February 8, 2016
I had been searching for a quick reference book to aid me with making healthy choices when eating. This book was very helpful, easy to use & I highly recommend it.

This book breaks things down into categories that make it easy when making choices in a particular food category. This enables you, over time, to learn the difference about food choices & creates a lifestyle change. Don't think of this as a "diet" book, but rather a learning tool.

I have loaned my book out various times & helped many friends learn how to make healthier choices. As a result, many have purchased this book & also it became a domino effect lol.

Love this book & still use it as a refresher often. Will be looking to see if an updated version has been published.
on May 22, 2014
Look, it,s all about portion control. We all know this intuitively, but sometimes a gentle reminder is a good thing. This book tries and successfully accomplishes this by pointing out the subtle difference of size and contents in a Fast Food setting. Yes, Kale and all healthy stuff is always better but sometimes it is about the In-N-Out burger that is the reality as well as the waste-line buster. Less is more and we all could stand a read like this (actually you don't read as much as browse, but it is loaded with content...if you can convince yourself (much less) the 8-90 year old in your life to just take a look and recognize what is being said...it is about the reality of what we eat and those choices rather than what we already know as good choices...we all fall off the wagon, but this really offers very smart "less damaging" alternatives that actually can be and are healthy.

I think "that" is smart. We bought three or four for our kids and ourselves...and anyway, they are cheap to buy, a good "starter" or "refresher" on everyday diet information.

I am not related to an any way, nor the author.
on January 1, 2017
If I had to do it over, I would not have purchased this book. I thought there might be some info in it for at home preparation, but it seems the entire thing is geared toward restaurant eating. The only thing I learned is that the McDonald's Egg McMuffin (a favorite of mine) is a good buy.
on April 14, 2009
The point of this book is that...well, as a nation we don't always pay attention to what we eat and food producers seem to be taking advantage of that fact. This book doesn't try to be a diet unto itself...instead, it helps you eat fewer calories when you eat out or want to grab a snack. A lot of people complain that it sacrifices nutrition in order to lower calories, but this just isn't so. It recommends lean meats, fruits and vegetables but it also keeps in mind that when you want a salty snack or a burger, you want a salty snack or a burger! I've spent the last couple of months watching my calorie intake and I've found this book indispensable. The clean, concise nutrition information and pictures make it a pleasure to read. I keep a copy in my car so that I don't have to panic about overeating when I'm on the road. I can manage to go to almost any fast food place and get full on 1/2 the calories (and the same amount of food) as I would before I was armed with this information. Using this book as one of my most important dieting tools (along with the Eat This Not That Supermarket Guide) I have lost 15 lbs in the past month without working out and without feeling hungry. Now I plan to hit the gym while keeping up with my new eating habits. I wasn't technically overweight to begin with but my goal is to be bikini ready this summer and I am well on my way! I truly believe that a lot of it is thanks to this book.

The bottom line is, don't look at this book as a single source for developing a healthier eating style. Instead, use it to show you the vast difference calorie counts between foods that are other wise identical...and go from there to reading food labels so that you know just what you are putting in your body.
on July 23, 2008
The EAT THIS NOT THAT! book by David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding is a simple and handy guide book that helps all of us who dine out pick meals that are better for our waist lines.

When you see how much fat and calories are in some of the most popular dishes ordered at restaurants and fast food places, you'll stay away! Some meals have more than half a days worth of calories and about three times the amount of fat a person should have in one day. No wonder everyone is losing the battle of the bulge.

The book is arranged in alphabetical order by restaurant's names and color coded by categories: Favorite Restaurants, Menu Decoder, Holidays and Special Occasions, Supermarket, Drinks, Mood Food, and For Kids(this section is only 6-pages long, but they have Eat This Not That! for Kids!: Be the Leanest, Fittest Family on the Block! for that). And the book is small enough to fit in a purse or briefcase to take on the go, but you probably won't have to do that since you can zero in on a few of your favorite haunts and see what the best choices they have on the menu.

What I like about the book is the simplicity of it all. One side of the page shows the worst thing you can eat and the other side shows you the best choices you can make at your favorite diner. There's also a menu decoder that teaches you exactly what all those terms are at different types of restaurants from "Breakfast Diners" to "Sushi Bars."

With EAT THIS NOT THAT!, we're empowered to make smarter choices when it comes to eating out and that should help shrink our ever expanding waists. And we can do that by ordering smarter and not just dry salads. I highly recommend this book.
on December 30, 2017
Very basic. I got this because i eat out a lot because of my job. I thought it would be more useful but if you look at nutrition facts you would come to the same conclusions. If you don't like comparing nutritional info then you'll like this because it does the work for you.You can find many of the excerpts from this book online
on November 17, 2009
As a writer for Men's Health magazine, Zinczenko brings years of food and nutrition knowledge to the bookstore in the form of the Eat This Not That series. In this edition, Zinczenko provides information regarding food choices that everyday people make several times a day. This isn't about sprouts and bean salads; real food that real people eat daily is presented in easy to read and understand (and compare) terms that offer an eye-opening experience to the world of food. This edition also includes an extensive comparison section of some of the nation's most popular (and populous) restaurants, with the writers knowing that people aren't going to eliminate these restaurants from their lists, so why not arm them with knowledge before they go?

Did you know that the Aussie Cheese Fries at Outback Steakhouse clock in at just under 3,000 calories? Or that the McDonald's Filet o' Fish is almost 300 calories less than the Burger King equivalent? Or that mixing dark alcohol with diet sodas will get you drunk faster and leave you with a longer, more painful hangover than if you stick with lighter liquors like gin, vodka, and white wine?

Between this and the supermarket edition that I read a couple weeks ago, I really feel better armed to face the food monsters that confront me every day, knowing that when I do make a more poor choice, I'm doing it with awareness of just what I'm choosing (sorry, Mr Zinczenko, I really can't give up Ranch dressing entirely. Mmm...) I can and will, however, opt for water more often at restaurants than my usual diet soda or lemonade, approach the fruits and veggies in my kitchen with more gusto, and embrace my Triscuit habit joyfully (Triscuits are pretty good for you, actually! Lots of fiber in rough wheat format so your digestive system gets a great workout...just watch the salt!)

Unlike other "diet" books I've read, I actually feel prepared to be in the normal world where special dishes and meals aren't necessary because I know how to make better choices. Yay for choices!

This isn't really meant for the health nuts and food experts out there who already know about healthy eating--if you're one of those, you will likely not benefit from this book. For the rest of us, though, it's a good introductory step toward making better choices that eventually lead to more better choices.
on April 6, 2008
The majority of Americans dine out at least once a week. A significant minority eat the majority of their meals at some sort of restaurant. The authors have considered that fact of life, and the reluctance of many restaurants to release useful nutrition information, and created a simple matrix of dining and shopping choices. (The book's layout also lends itself to quickly compiling grocery lists.) All major restaurant chains, and food categories are here, as well as some typical grocery categories. There's no portion counting (who REALLY does that anyway?), just suggested substitutions that still taste great and are much better for one's health. Having said all this, I should highlight two areas were it doesn't follow the latest nutritional guidance: one is sodium, the second being beer. The authors repeatedly state the dangers of consumption of sodium vis a vis high blood pressure. While excessive sodium MAY raise blood pressure in those who already have high blood pressure, it has been shown that it is not the trigger everyone once thought. The authors recommend beer, which is in line with the current opinion, but don't recommend beers with heavy hops, or most dark beers. In fact, the very latest studies show that hoppier ale/beers, and dark beers are as healthy (or healthier) than wine. True, these studies were probably released after publication, but a nutrition book should have the very latest information available.
Overall, this is sensible, practical nutrition information for adults and kids. Highly recommended.
on October 8, 2012
This book is a HUGE help when you want fast food but at least want to make a more intelligent and healthy choice. There is invaluable nutrition information included and believe me, you are going to be shocked at the fat and/or salt content in some of your favorite fasties! Every single item is not in this book, but enough to give you a real idea of what is better for you to eat. I am going to buy a couple of the older ones because it's likely that the items I can't find in this version will be in the older ones. I wanted to find out if the tortilla soup at El Pollo Loco was a better choice but it wasn't listed. But anyway, here is an example. The worst appetizer is Outback's Bloomin' Onion, nutritionally speaking. A better and healthier choice would be Shrimp on the Barbie, and that would be fine with me! There are 1,949 calories in the onion and only 295 in the shrimp. See how great it is to know these things?!
on June 29, 2010
Indeed, this small book packs a punch with lots of food insight with colorful and well layout of information.

I wasn't bored at all, though I expected its another health book.

This book is great for grocery shoppers and eager diners. It is packed with information we usually disregard like calorie and fat in our food menu.

A NYTimes article quoted that the epidemic of obesity is staggering among lower class that tends to feed on cheap fast-food loaded with unhealthy contents. This book can help educate more people.

I particularly like those summary research on foods that boost metabolism or brain function. I hate garlic, but now I have to reinforce myself to choose what's right.

Going back to garlic --- The book states this is a brain boosting ingredient. Wow!

I feel more informed. Of course, I have read lots of health-related articles online and newspaper, not to mention Doctors TV, but I did learn extra with this 2010 edition.