Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 252 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 312 reviews
VINE VOICEon March 1, 2014
When I first sat down with this book, I thought I wouldn't learn anything because of its breezy somewhat snarky style. But I did learn a great many things, despite the fact I have for many years paid a great deal of attention to nutrition. Besides reading all I can over the past 60 years, I have taken courses. (That was because no one would pay any attention to what I had to say unless I could prove I had studied nutrition.)

For one thing from this book, I learned there are people out there who pay attention to complete versus incomplete proteins. It has been 50 years since talking about that went out of style.

There is an explanation of ATP which is easier to understand for a lay person than the complicated explanation in nutrition courses.

I learned that the fat soluble vitamins act synergisticly. That has been known (and ignored) for probably 60 plus years about B vitamins, but I did not know it about oil soluble ones. I should have known.

Somehow I had missed in my reading that there are vitamin D receptors in every cell throughout the body. Well, for heaven's sake! No wonder we keep discovering things we need D for - above and beyond seeing to it our bones get their calcium.

In other words, don't let the breezy conversational style of this book put you off. We can all learn from it.
0Comment| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2014
I'll admit, I've been on the ancestral/real food train for a number of years now, but a true real foodie is just as hungry for knowledge and understanding, so I pre-ordered Liz's book as soon as I could. THANK YOU, LIZ, for giving us (the paleosphere, the real-food-lovers) exactly what we needed- a book jam-packed with REAL information, an approach that isn't overly branded or easy to put into a "fad" category, a winning sense of humor, and at it's core, a topic meant to change the world.

This is the book I've been waiting for, the perfect way to introduce a curious person to a real food lifestyle. I'd recommend Practical Paleo for any kitchen as a reference guide and recipe inspiration or Cate Shanahan's work for those who just really need to see "MD" after the author's name, but this is the book for the hook. This is the book for the friend who is jumping on a plane for a business trip or the busy mom who has 15 minutes to read while her kid is in dance class. It is concise, but every word counts. The approach is totally relatable, fun to read, and beautifully executed. This is absolutely THE book to get people to understand why I eat so much bacon and get militant about where my meat comes from.

As an educator, I love how this book encourages people to toss the rules and truly understand health and nutrition. I also love how it puts "paleo" in a positive light, but isn't rigid paleo propaganda. This is so necessary while paleo is shifting more to the mainstream- teach and learn, don't just listen and follow.
44 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2014
I got my book today and I devoured it in a bit over an hour and if you are familiar with her blog you know just how lighthearted but massively informative her writing can be. Liz is able to give you the information she wants to give without sounding like she is lecturing you or trying to sound like a know it all. I follow her blog and because of her I decided to try my hand at backyard chickens and what a Joy it has been since I got my little feathered babies. READ this book it is going to open your eyes to a lot of new information and change your life!
on October 8, 2016
Information is valid, scientific, and clear, but is expressed with humor and has a personal touch. This allows the average person to get into the book, while avoiding ego, biases, and any detraction from the topic at hand. This is something everyone should read, and then they should take steps to avoid everything that is deemed hazardous. Everything we know about health is wrong. Sciences proves this.

The only issue I had was that there was a section where the vegetarian/vegan side of eating disorders uses that was explained away in an illogical way. Primates are not inherently herbivores. Some are herbivores, some are omnivores, some are carnivores. Most are omnivorous, and there are no animals which do not eat other animals some time in their life. The human body best matches common chimpanzees, which get 50% or so of their nutrition from animal and insect sources and cannot properly digest rough vegetation. The animals noted by the plant-only brigade are gorillas, which have the dentition and digestive system of a horse. It is mentioned that we evolved to eat cooked food, which is also incorrect and based on a hypothesis which has several glaring exceptions. Humans cannot digest raw vegetables, but have no issue with raw animal matter whatsoever. Cooked meat digests faster than raw, but this is not a good thing as it means the human will become hungry sooner. Raw flesh remaining in the stomach for a long time allows the body to remain sated for a very long time and doesn't destroy heat-sensitive nutrition. Light cooking is fine, but well-done meat is, by comparison, nutritionally inferior.

This, by no means, takes away from the rest of the information, which is scientifically sound. Evolution is an educated guess, at best, and so these opinions of some scientists which wouldn't hold up against scrutiny due to the fact that many peoples consume raw meat and have no issue should be omitted in favor of modern, observable and testable, facts.
on March 4, 2014
Full disclosure: I wrote the foreword to this book, so clearly I am biased. That said, I do think it is a fantastic read, and I will tell you all about why right here, where I'm pasting in the foreword I wrote.

Enjoy...

At some point in our nutrition-and-health improvement journeys, which I presume you are on simply by the fact that you’ve picked up this book, we’ve likely figured out that we were misled or misguided somewhere along the way. Make no mistake about it, I too fell victim to the hype. You know what I’m talking about here, right? I’m talking about the “eating fat will make you fat” / “you need eleven servings of heart-healthy whole grains daily” / “anything made from soy is a health food” hype. If you didn’t know that was hype before, you will now.

I was right there with you for many years, chowing down cereal made of seven whole grains on a mission (to kill you) with soy milk (it must be healthy, right?!), fat-free yogurt (sweetened with aspartame), nonstick cooking sprays (but they’re low-fat!), and calorie-free sweeteners (that were “naturally” sweet). That is, until I saw the light.

For each of us, that “light” comes in a different form. If that light hasn’t already been turned on for you, then you’re in for a real treat. This book—and Liz’s take on nutrition in general—will be that for you. And if that’s the case, I am stoked for you. You are going to get your world flipped upside down and sideways while you learn exactly what is true about the food you eat every day. You’ll probably be smacking yourself upside the head when you realize that you’ve been fighting your instincts on what’s right and wrong about nutrition, and you will definitely be ready to stop the diet-food-and-calorie-cutting madness.

This book will set you free from the 100-calorie-pack-filled world of edible foodlike substances that cry “healthy” on the package but are slowly making you sicker and sicker as you eat them. Yes, it’s that dramatic. The impact that food has on your health is that serious. It’s a good thing Liz, a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner (NTPTM) certified by the Nutritional Therapy Association, has a seriously hilarious way of explaining it all.

Allow me to back up for just a moment, because I haven’t known Liz my entire life, contrary to what our podcasting banter may imply. I was introduced to Liz Wolfe when listening to a podcast that was part of a (short-lived) series created by Hayley and Bill Staley (of The Food Lovers Kitchen and Make It Paleo fame) called “The Food Lovers Dish It.” Liz was the featured guest on one of the episodes they recorded—and right away, I loved her voice.

Now, when I say that I loved Liz’s voice, I mean both her audible voice and her way of thinking and presenting her opinions. I should tell you that I was feverishly on the hunt for a podcasting partner at this exact moment, so much so that I pulled my car over while driving on a busy highway to shoot Hayley a text and ask for Liz’s contact information. That was the beginning of the end, some might say—and I mean that in the absolute best way possible.

That was several years ago now, and I’ve since not only convinced Liz to record a weekly podcast with me (the “Balanced Bites” podcast, which ranks in the top Health shows in iTunes), but also (literally) dragged her on the road with me to meet folks across the country and teach them why “everything you know about good nutrition is wrong”—and, of course, exactly how to get it right.

Through the development of the podcast and our seminar curriculum, I have seen deeper into Liz’s passion and vigor for the Truth About Food (which could easily have been the title for this book, but that doesn’t pack the same vitamin D–rich punch as Eat the Yolks). She wants to know more than just the biochemistry of nutrition; she wants to know the social and historical implications of the changes in our food supply—and what those changes have done to our long-term health.

Liz has a real knack for connecting with her readers (and our listeners and workshop attendees) in a way that is unlike anyone I’ve ever met. She isn’t just hilarious; she is also darned smart about nutrition. Her passion for all things myth-and-truth-related when it comes to, oh, let’s say the history of how the heck we started eating margarine, for example, has driven her to tirelessly research the foundations of it all. And she’s able to turn around and tell you the story and actually make it interesting—injecting it with her signature wit and sense of humor—so that you leave the room never wanting to eat margarine again (and likely slapping it out of your spouse’s or sibling’s hand, too!).

In Eat the Yolks, Liz takes us step by step through nearly every dogmatic, scientifically unsound, and anti–“real food” notion that so many of us have been hung up on for years. She sheds light on the errors of those well-intentioned ways with compassion (she’s been there too, folks) and wit. Liz explains why we need to eat fat (including saturated fat!), cholesterol, and even salt. (Bacon, yes! Steak, yes! Egg yolks, oh heck yes!)

Perhaps you’ve been bored to tears in the past by long, epic tomes that aim to educate you on the political and nutritional mess of what we’ve been told to eat for the last several decades. Or maybe you’ve read some real-food-centered books, but they were filled with overly science-y jargon or a rigid approach or way of eating that didn’t leave you feeling empowered—or you quit reading partway through because you were flat-out bored. Well this, my friends, is the book for you.

Pour yourself a tall glass of home-brewed kombucha, whip up a nice frittata, and get ready to be edu-tained from cover to cover. And, for the sake of all that is decent in this world, you had better eat those yolks!
on October 22, 2014
This is the most excellent book i have read in a very long time. I am a health book junkie. I have read dozens and dozens of books about paleo diets, veganism, raw food diets, no grain diets and more. I have learned something from each of these books.

This book is easy to follow but very comprehensive. I am not the scientific type. I don't want to dissect studies and look for flaws in scientific works. I just want straight information. Information that makes sense and is logical. Everything about this way of eating makes sense and just "feels" right. I only disagree with one thought in this book, and that is that calories don't matter (much). Or rather, that calories should not be the primary focus of your diet even if you are trying to lose weight. For those of us who are trying to lose weight, calories do matter. You can easily overeat, even on a paleo (or primal) diet, because these foods are nutrient rich but also calorie rich. I don't count every single calorie, but i have a rough idea of how many i am consuming each day. Without this self regulation i would never lose weight.

Otherwise, the book was a joy to read and i didn't want it to end. There is plenty of humor but also intelligence. The information about food and mostly, what we should NOT be eating (industrial oils, conventional meat, sugar, grains) should be something that everyone is aware of. The poisoning of the entire population by food companies feeding us chemically altered, unnatural "foods" should be known by everyone. And much worse, the fact that the FDA and the USDA are more interested in protecting their industries and corporations rather than the people who pay their salaries, the consuming public, is something everyone should be furious about. Nobody is protecting the public, so it is our responsibility alone to become educated and proactive in choosing the healthiest diet we can.

I very highly recommend that everyone read this book.
on June 5, 2014
For those looking for critiques of the SAD (Standard American Diet)--you know, the dietary where you avoid red meat, saturated fat from any source, and foods containing cholesterol while eating Whole Grains and foods made with, or fried in, polyunsaturated seed oils (e.g., safflower, soy, sunflower, etc.)--this has been a busy reading season. Grain Brain (by David Perlmutter), Fat Chance (by Robert Lustig), and The Big Fat Surprise (by Nina Teicholz) all were published within a few months of each other. They join a series of books in the last few years (beginning with Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories in 2007) challenging one or more of the scientific pillars supporting the USDA's official Food Pyramid and its most recent version, "My Plate."

Critiques of the science underlying the dietary recommendations we have been encouraged to follow (by government, a variety of health organizations such as the American Heart Association, and most of the food industry) are not new, however. John Yudkin's 1972 book, Pure, White, and Deadly: How Sugar is Killing Us and What We Can Do to Stop It, was one of the first. And there were other voices questioning the scientific justification for the "Diet-Heart Hypothesis"--the assertion that saturated fats were the foundation of an increasing epidemic of cardiovascular diseases--as well.

The critics have not prevailed and so we continue to be encouraged to eat a dietary laden with more sugar (or high fructose corn syrup) and polyunsaturated seed oils than ever before in human history (and prehistory). Still, the number of critics continues to grow--along with the waistlines, incidence of Syndrome X, and increased cases of Type II diabetes among those of us following the SAD. Something is not working. And doing more of the same is not an effective fix.

So, what to do? What to make of all this? Perfect clarity is not likely soon, but a good place to begin is with the best (albeit imperfect) information possible. Why not find this information in a relatively short (288 pages), pleasantly-readable book such as Eat the Yolks? Although Liz Wolfe's touch is light and her good humor present throughout, her science is as solid as science can be in the mysterious field of human nutrition. And the references are there for those wishing to read for themselves.

If you are a newbie to the extensive literature associated with the "nutrition wars" and skeptical of the dietary "party-line," Eat the Yolks is a fine place to begin your search for an alternative perspective.
on March 13, 2014
For anyone out there that has had trouble explaining to their friends, co-workers, family and spouse why eating real food is important and what real food is, BUY THIS BOOK and then pass it on to them. This book takes everything that you wish you could explain yourself and puts it in a easy to read, enjoyable and informative package that you will gladly share with those around you. Sometimes it is hard for your friends to accept books and cookbooks that you have that say "Paleo," "diet," "detox," and other key diet terms, but this book strips away all that mumbo jumbo and gets to the point of just eating real food that has always been food. A lesson every person should learn and can with this book. After reading this book you wonder, "how can anyone not change the way they eat after reading this?" Yes, it's that good. Buy it, read it, share it, love it.
on March 31, 2014
This is a great educational read. I learned some things I did not know, and for that reason, I did not necessarily dislike this book. Liz is passionate about nutrition and exposing the lies that we've been told by industry and health officials.

However, I am giving this book 3 stars because I cannot say that I loved it. While making a book informative and entertaining is appreciated, the writing style was somewhat distracting. The pop culture references and humor inserted every other paragraph was just a little too much for me. I prefer straight and to the point, which better suits my personal learning style.

I do want to note that different from what I'm used to does not mean bad. I would recommend this is as good read for someone who is new to the lifestyle, and would like to know more about WHY changing your beliefs and eating habits is necessary. The details are eye-opening. I plan to pass my copy along to some friends I think would appreciate the humor.
44 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2014
I just finished reading this amazing book. This is literally the first time I have felt compelled to post a review immediately after finishing a book. In fact, this is the first time I have ever written a book review. No it isn't because this is the first book I have ever read if that is what you are thinking (I actually read tons of books, especially ones regarding nutrition), but because the information inside is so important to our health and happiness that I want as many people as possible to read it and spread the word! Most people really think they are doing the right thing eating the way they have been told by the government and the skewed research studies.

Eat the Yolks isn’t just about eggs either although if you don’t want to eat a crap ton of them when you finish this book I don’t know what the heck is wrong with you. Liz wonderfully debunks all the lies we have been fed about cholesterol, fat, protein, carbs, and the even the much maligned sun. She does this using solid scientific research while at the same time using pop culture references that make it extremely easy to digest for non-nutrition nerds. That is just one of the things that set this book apart from other nutrition and Paleo books I have read.

I have been eating a Paleoish-based real food diet for a little over two years and this book was exactly what I needed right now to remind myself of the reasons I changed my diet. As anyone knows that tries to eat only real food in today’s world it isn't always easy and it does require a certain amount of grit. This book will provide you with the motivation you need to either keep eating a real food diet or start one immediately. It will also provide you with all kinds of cool nutrition facts to spout off when all your friends and family ask you why on earth you are eating a can of sardines for lunch!