Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 421 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,007 reviews
on February 25, 2016
Hilarious. Well-written. Instructive at times.

I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at a book. She has some really clever insight into grammar without being overcome by cynicism.
It is interesting to read about the state of grammar in the UK as well. It really defies the stereotype that many Americans have about Brits being stuffy and proper all the time.

Even though it isn't a grammar guide, she does offer some tips on usage. I was pleased she clarified the semicolon and colon issue and included several examples. At the same time this wasn't a "montage" of real-world grammar blunders with her corrects and/or snide comments, either.

But if you enjoy reading about grammar for fun at all, you'll probably enjoy this book. And even if not, you still might appreciate her witty and sardonic style.

And yes, she probably would disapprove of me starting my sentences with "and"...
on March 28, 2017
It's refreshing to read a book by an author who has such an obvious love of written language and all its nuances. To make it even better, Ms Truss has infused the entire work with wit and humor. I especially liked the way she was able to weave in a sense of the history of punctuation and its impact on written English, and I share her concern for the future of all these points, stops, and marks. This is a book to savor again and again.
on April 19, 2017
If you have doubts a book about punctuation can be clever, entertaining, funny and educational all at the same time, read this one. I have given it as a gift to many of my reader friends and it has never failed to please. Short example and supposedly true story: A famous writer, on his death bed, uttered the following final six words, "I should have used fewer semi-colons." You gotta love it.
on April 14, 2017
I was taken by the cover art and held hostage by the title. I couldn't imagine enjoying a book on punctuation; Ms Truss' "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" weaves together the marks, their history and the rules of punctuation with examples, quotes and commentary in a bright and delightful way. Long live punctuation and the practitioners thereof!
on March 15, 2014
This tome deserves high praise indeed. Lynne truss is excellent and knows her stuff so well that you will feel like a small student at a master's knee. She diligently argues that punctuation should not be placed aside and forgotten. That it makes your words come alive with vibrancy.

And her prose is such that you sit up and pay attention. It is not light reading for an afternoon's hour, but deserves to be given your focus so that you too will take on a little of her zeal in the fight to save the tools that make our words sing!

Citing many writers and providing examples Truss shows us and reminds us that there is craft to writing, and to using punctuation to elevate your thoughts to better than they are. To make your writing able to be admired for the way you craft it beyond what you say with them.

And that the art of this is falling away in our digital text/chat driven society. That we should remember that we who do write are guardians, placed with a sacred trust that when we write and attract many eyes to our tales, it gives us the chance to preach and proselytize to the masses who have become lazy with language.

If you are no longer a novice in the art of writing, or do care about what your words should do and be, then this is a book you must add to your library. Not just read it, but buy it, keep it, and place it in a place of reverence.
on May 15, 2015
I'd been thinking of reading this for a while, but just finally got around to it. The book is mostly funny. It doesn't teach too much in the way of punctuation but does a solid job of showing where we'd be without it. Good for people already well-versed or very interested in grammar.
on June 6, 2014
I chuckled regularly while reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynn Truss. And sometimes I laughed out loud. This from a person not inclined to details and not interested in memorizing rules.

But Truss doesn’t stress rules. Rather, she uses irony, self-deprecating humor, and other techniques to make apostrophes, commas, full stops (periods), and more interesting. (Really! Check out what she says about brackets/parentheses and exclamation marks!) In fact, she inspires: Her explanation of colons and semi-colons prompted me to play with their usage; I’ve been experimenting with them ever since. And “cutting a dash?” Well—I must stop using them as an easy way to incorporate stream-of-consciousness thinking, but I haven’t quite elevated them to an art form.

Truss also addresses current changes in punctuation that people like myself find disturbing. Because why would anyone want to change rules once we’ve finally learned them? But Truss uses history to explain that usage has never been static. Punctuation developed over time to clarify. That is, after all, its purpose. So for goodness sakes, don’t miss this book! Or should that be “for goodness’s sake?”
on July 25, 2017
Very funny and thought provoking little book. This should be required reading for the "punctuation optional" crowd on the internet and social media.
on January 10, 2005
It should not have been in the stars that a book on a subject as dry as punctuation would make it to the bestseller lists on both sides of the Atlantic, but it has and the reason isn't just good luck. Author Lynne Truss, a self professed punctuation stickler, writes with knowledge, passion, not to mention an entertaining jazzy wit, with the result that EATS, SHOOTS AND LEAVES is great fun and not a little instructive.

It is odd that in an era where the conventions of language are treated so casually in even the highest places, people still bleed when their grammatical usage is assailed. In other words, nobody likes a stickler. What sets Lynne Truss apart from the stickler chorus is the fact that she does not make it personal. She never assumes that the reader needs to be improved. She does use real world examples, like the title of the Sandra Bullock-Hugh Grant movie "Two Weeks Notice," in which the possessive apostrophe eluded everyone from the screenwriter upward through the ranks of the studio brass, but she never wastes time flaying the irresponsible. Instead, she spends her time on correcting the errors, clarifying the rules (with notes on American usage where it diverges) and slipping in some historical notes. No one reading the book will feel as if they have been taken to the woodpile, only entertained and better informed. I was actually sorry to see it end.
on August 17, 2014
It's a book about punctuation, yes, but it's not nearly as dull as it sounds. Ms. Truss speaks of having feelings of dismay, horror, and violence in response to seeing mispunctuated signs in abundance (such as "apple's" in the grocery store, or "Bobs' Motors"). She even tells us about standing outside the theater showing Two Weeks Notice and holding up an apostrophe on a stick to show where the apostrophe should be. Among little lessons on punctuation, she gives us funny anecdotes and personal responses, tying it all together in a wonderful little package for us English dorks. The book does display British usage, but it gives little nods to American usage where appropriate. She writes novels too, but I haven't yet managed to see any of them. I'd like to, because I have no doubt that they'd be very well punctuated!