Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on October 22, 2015
I had a NDE after a serious motorcycle accident when I was 33 years old - I'm now 70! The experience will always be with me! Our Creators name is LOVE!!! Sometimes when I tell my story, the reactions are good and sometimes people just think the brain is reacting to the death process! I only wish I had the ability to express in words what took place, however, I now realize, that words can never express the LOVE that that I felt and the removal of all hate! Hate does not live in that realm, and can never live there! To feel totally immersed in LOVE, cannot be put into the languages of this world - I've tried and failed. I will tell you this much - all religions fail - ALL. Our creator is so far beyond this nonsense that I can't even put it in words! All I know is that I will always LOVE my creator, OM, or what ever name you want to use! I really stopped caring if people believed me or not, however, when they want to know what I experienced - I'm always happy to tell them what happened to me - as best I can - with the limitations that language can express! What a great book! Thanks to you Doctor; now others may understand what I went through! Rather you are a believer or not, Religious or Attheist, Agnostic, or what ever you are, at the very least you will come away with questions, that will at least make you wonder!!! I actually feel blessed that my Creator had me go through this in my Life - as painful as it was! It really made me look at Life in a much different way! Sorry for going on and on, but, I really appreciated this book, especially from a neurosurgeon! All I know is; that to me it was no dream! This was so different that I know it will be with me until I return to my Creator. What an experience! I thought my life was over at age 33, however, he/she, Creator, OM, Love, Truth, has shown me what Life really is! I hope all, and I mean all find what I found! Maybe, just maybe, this world or realm we live in would become a better place!
441 people found this helpful
|1313 comments|Report abuse
on October 8, 2017
I was reading this book at the airport and was just starting to get into it. I had read bits of it. Then I met a lady who had a been a preacher's wife. He had died many years before and she was still unsure of where we go when we die. That was a sign. I gave her my book and told her I thought she'd probably find her answer there. I usually follow the signs if they are really obvious. This one was. I have already ready read a lot of near death experience books. I wanted to read this one because it had happened to a neurosurgeon. Now this is just my opinion but if God, the Universe, or whatever you believe in happens to put in your path for only an hour, someone who could benefit from this book, then it's message must be clear.
43 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 18, 2016
This was the most convincing book I came across while preparing for how to deal with my husbands quickly approaching death from glioblastoma.In the 2 to 3 weeks before his death he saw deceased family members: our daughter, his sister, his grandfather,and even one of our sweet dogs who had passed. This author helped to assure me that he was going to a good place...or was already there. 15 days before he died he told me he was "almost there" and then said he "felt really good". This so much comforted me because to look at him this didn't seem possible. This book made his statements more convincing.
84 people found this helpful
on May 31, 2017
An amazing story written by someone who is beyond reproach as far as the entire thing being explained away as fantasy or a dream of what he wanted things to be. Dr. Alexander does a good job of speaking to the layperson on his profession, the brain and how it functions, and he lays out clearly how what happened to him truly was medically impossible. A short book at under 200 pages, which makes it a quick read, but don't let that fool you, it is a powerful message.
29 people found this helpful
on March 27, 2017
I am thinking of so many people who are dear to me who need this book. My hope is that the great majority will accept my invitation to read it. I hope they will not reject that opportunity. If they do read it, it will touch their spiritual selves...the very part of them which science has largely succeeded in convincing them does not exist. The unique perspective of this particular author is of great importance in both having had the experience and in the telling of it. That was not an accident.
18 people found this helpful
on October 5, 2017
As a paradoxical Christian-skeptic, I myself often discredited published NDEs as fantastic means of generating income for the story teller. This book came recommended from my older brother, where as I may be considered bright by most, he is luminescent by comparison. So naturally, I devoured this book within 48hrs.
Simply incredible.
Obviously written by a doctor, no detail was thought to be unimportant and so, the story was like that of fiction in it's sheer explation. However, the accompanying medical data shut out my laymen doubt by the 28th chapter.
If you struggle with the idea of NDE accounts as I did, be you Christian or otherwise, I highly recommend this book in that it is certainly thought provoking at the very least.
13 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon November 24, 2013
"Proof of Heaven "is a book written about a near-death-experience that all - those who believe in heaven, and those who do not - will find provocative. What makes this near-death-experience (NDE) story unique and interesting is the Author, Eben Alexander, Md, a highly trained neurosurgeon who spent fifteen years on the faculty of Harvard Medical School.

Eben, like many trapped by science and the secular culture, was convinced that NDEs were caused by, and based on the natural shutting down of body's physiologic function in death. He repeatedly called God and heaven into question - how these could exist? His scientific world over the years undermined his ability to consider there was something larger.

My interest in this subject began in late 1979 when my father shared with me that he had had an NDE while his body was shutting down due to uremic poisoning. My father, a proud man, told me that he had traveled through a dark tunnel towards a bright light when he found his parents standing his way, telling him that "he was not ready."

Two years later, participation an executive management program at Columbia University introduced me to Roger Blackwell, the top university-based consumer marketing expert in the U.S., who was part of a national task team studying NDEs. He spent nearly three hours sharing his team's observations and findings. I have been an eager student of NDEs ever since.

Eben was not prepared for what he personally experienced in late 2008 when his body shut down due to an attack on his brain by E. coli meningitis. His consciousness found itself submerged something like mud. He had no idea where he was, who he was, or where he came from. He was in a place of pulsing, pounding darkness, and a smell like feces. There was no sense of time. At first, he felt that there was no difference between him and the half-creepy environment that surrounded him.

A light then appeared out of the darkness and he heard a living sound - "the most beautiful music one could ever hear." The light came closer and found it was not a light but rather something he could see through, an entry to another realm. He then found himself in a completely new world. He felt like he was being born, not reborn.

Below him was something that looked like earth but was not. Someone was traveling next to him, a beautiful girl. She gave him a look that exuded love beyond all the different types of love he had ever experienced. It was something higher, and pure. They were flying over trees, fields, streams, waterfalls, and people, people who were laughing. She spoke to him without words in three parts:
1. You are loved and cherished by God, dearly, forever.
2. You have nothing to fear.
3. There is nothing you can do wrong.

She added he would see many things, but, eventually, he would go back.

He then found himself entering "an immense void, completely dark, infinite in size, but also infinitely comforting. He then experienced God, the Creator, the Source, who is responsible for making the universe and all that is in it... While there was no distance between him and God, he could sense the vastness of the Creator and how miniscule he was compared to God... He was told that Evil was necessary because without it free will was impossible, and without free will, there would be no growth, no forward movement, no chance for us to become what God longed for us to be. Love was overwhelmingly dominant in our world and would be ultimately triumphant."

He encountered God while in a reality of consciousness completely free of the limitations of his physical brain. He learned that human experience continues beyond the grave and that life is not meaningless. In life and after, human experience falls under the gaze of a God who loves and cares about each one of us.

"He was taught that only one thing matters - love. Love is the basis of everything. Love is unconditional. Love is the reality of realities, the incomprehensibly glorious truth of truths that lives and breathes at the core of everything that exists or that will ever exist, and no remotely accurate understanding of who and what we are, can be achieved by anyone who does not know it, and embody it in all their actions. This is not just the most important emotional truth but also the most important scientific truth."

Eben, "I was blind and now I see." He now feels it his duty, his calling, to tell people about what he saw beyond the body and beyond this earth. We must end the big lie, culture's belief in matter as the core reality and that all else - thought, ideas, consciousness, emotions, spirit - were merely productions of it. A big mistake is to believe God does not exist or is impersonal.

"There is no need to fear the world and build ourselves up through fame or wealth or conquest. Our truest, deepest self is completely free and has no need for the things of the world. We need to get in touch with this miraculous aspect of ourselves. We need to cultivate it and bring it to light. This being is within ourselves and it is the being God intended us to be. How do we get closer to this part of self - manifesting love and compassion?...prayer and meditation."

The author learned his beautiful companion was a sister who had died several years earlier, a sister he had never known and had never seen. He recognized her as his guide when another family member shared a picture of her after he returned.

This is a very provocative book, one that all should read. There is much more to life than most appreciate.
10 people found this helpful
on January 30, 2015
As an ICU nurse, I could not put this book down. I read it all the way through in one sitting. I have cared for so many comatose patients and been beside countless patients as they passed away. My religious belief of a life after death has always been at odds with my factual understanding of personality and consciousness as functions of the brain. The "personhood" of the long term comatose patient was gone. But where? And this is the question that the author, neurosurgeon, attempts to answer from his own experience. Absolutely spell-binding.
21 people found this helpful
on October 16, 2017
Because this book was written by a neurosurgeon, gives me hope that there's really life after death. I lost my grandson to suicide 10 months ago, he was the love of my life. I just want to be with him again. Parts of the book were hard to understand, too many medical terms for me. I'm not a Dr. . But Ebons story gives me hope. I have always believed that God created science.
17 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 22, 2018
Very inspirational book that helps with facing death of loved ones or even your own. Makes you believe in the possibility that there is actually something more beautiful in the next realm after we die. So if you're afraid of flying or have any other fear that might put you at risk of dying, this can help you be more brave and think that there is something beautiful waiting for you. The fact that this was written by a Harvard neurosurgeon, who thought that all those near death experiences were just tricks played by the mind, until he himself had a near death experience and survived to talk about it with a fully intact mind, makes me think twice about it. After all, Dr. Eban Alexander is an expert on the nervous system and the brain. This book is not about religion. He never once mentioned that he saw God himself, but implied that there is a Heaven out there that is not biased. ;)
One person found this helpful