Echo Dot (3rd Gen, 2018 release) - Smart speaker with Alexa - Charcoal
Enhance your purchase
- Meet Echo Dot - Our most compact smart speaker that fits perfectly into small spaces.
- Improved speaker quality - Better speaker quality than Echo Dot Gen 2 for richer and louder sound. Pair with a second Echo Dot for stereo sound.
- Voice control your music - Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, and others.
- Ready to help - Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home devices, and more.
- Voice control your smart home - Turn on lights, adjust thermostats, lock doors, and more with compatible connected devices. Create routines to start and end your day.
- Connect with others hands-free - Call friends and family who have the Alexa app or an Echo device. Instantly drop in on other rooms in your home or make an announcement to every room with a compatible Echo device.
- Alexa has skills - With tens of thousands of skills and counting, Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new skills like tracking fitness, playing games, and more.
- Designed to protect your privacy – Amazon is not in the business of selling your personal information to others. Built with multiple layers of privacy controls including a mic off button.
Alexa for kids and family
Alexa can help kids learn and grow—while having fun along the way. And with free parental controls from Amazon Kids, Alexa will automatically give kid-friendly responses, filter explicit songs and block shopping. Children’s privacy is important to us. Discover how kids can use Alexa, watch helpful how-to videos, get answers to FAQs, and more.
Haven’t tried Amazon Kids+? Click here to start your 1-month free trial. Amazon Kids+ is an all-in-one subscription that unlocks thousands of hours of kid-friendly videos, interactive games, educational skills, and Audible books starting at $4.99/month.
Compare Echo devices
|Price||From: $24.99||From: $39.99||From: $44.99||From: $79.99|
|Alexa built in|
|Speakers||1.6" speaker||1.73" front-firing speaker||1 x 1.7”||3.0" neodymium woofer and dual front-firing 0.8" tweeters|
|Audio support||Lossless High Definition||Lossless High Definition, Dolby audio|
|Line in/out||3.5 mm line out||3.5 mm line in/out|
|Screen||LED display on Echo Dot with clock||5.5” color screen|
|Privacy Controls||Built-in microphone off button and in-app privacy controls||Built-in microphone off button and in-app privacy controls||Built-in camera shutter, microphone/camera off button and in-app privacy controls||Built-in microphone off button and in-app privacy controls|
|Built-in Zigbee smart home hub|
|eero Built-in||Coming soon|
|Dimensions||3.9” W x 3.9”D x 1.7”H||3.9”W x 3.9”D x 3.5”H||5.8”W x 2.9”D x 3.4”H||5.7”W x 5.7”D x 5.2”H|
Echo Dot (3rd Gen)
3.9” x 3.9” x 1.7” (99 mm x 99 mm x 43 mm)
10.6 oz. (300 grams) Actual size and weight may vary by manufacturing process
Dual-band Wi-Fi supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks. Does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.
Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming from your mobile device to Echo Dot or from Echo Dot to your Bluetooth speaker. Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) for voice control of connected mobile devices. Hands-free voice control is not supported for Mac OS X devices. Bluetooth speakers requiring PIN codes are not supported.
Software Security Updates
This device receives guaranteed software security updates until at least four years after the device is last available for purchase as a new unit on our websites. Learn more about these software security updates. If you already own an Amazon Echo, visit Manage Your Content and Devices for information specific to your device.
Smart Home Protocols
Supports WiFi, Bluetooth Low Energy Mesh, and Matter controller (Alexa Android app setup only. iOS coming soon)
Reviewed in the United States on January 7, 2023
Reviews with images
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Your Echo Dot /Alexa will perform some very basic functions:
voice activated search engine, weather, news, reminders, bluetooth speaker, etc.
BUT, In order to connect with loads of other devices, and perform all the higher functions, you have to navigate them from an Alexa app on your phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro. It says the app is incompatible with my phone. I tried to find the app on my pc and do it from there. There is no app available for pc's (wouldn't have been very practical anyway, but was worth a shot).
The Alexa Phone app for connecting phone calls, phone contacts, phone messages, etc. IS compatible with my phone. So I was able to see that after I play with some of that it may function.
Just a heads up, to check your compatibility.
Other than that, it has features to protect your privacy, features that may make your life much easier & it will interact and fuction with both older & newer versions!