Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Bought this sometime ago but just getting around to reviewing it. I thought I had done it already.

If I had graded this when I first got it, it would have received 5 stars. But given time, it is just off some of their earlier releases. I still highly recommend this cd though.

Dave Grohl and the rest of the band continue to mature as musicians and songwriters and it is nice to listen to them through the years as they continue on their journey.

So, don't be shy about getting this one if you haven't purchased it already. You can't go wrong with this.
on June 27, 2017
In my opinion this is the best Foo album to date.
on February 26, 2013
E,S,P, &G is my favorite of the 3 FF albums I have. It has a nice mix of hard driving rock and some softer songs. There is relatively little screaming as compared to Colour & the Shape. Even the hard rocking songs are melodic. The finale, Home, is a beautiful ballad that I found myself listening to over and over. The opener, The Pretender, is also a standout, with power and grace. This album maintains its momentum with only one weak spot for me, the uninspired Erase Replace. This album is a battle horse which holds up to repeated high volume plays while racing down the highway. Enjoy.
on October 1, 2007
The album is definitely a natural progression of what the band did with "In Your Honor," this time fusing delicate acoustic with rowdy electric within most of the songs, with satisfying results. Still, most of the songs here don't follow the traditional pop verse-chorus structure, and as such aren't immediately memorable. But once you get an idea of how each song unfolds, it can be a rewarding listen.

While it's easily more solid throughout than the longer "Honor," there isn't quite a "Best of You" here. Some songs full of potential for greatness are let down by a rather bland chorus, and repetition of lyrics is another problem in places. Even some of the more consistent tunes are nearly spoiled by outros that don't quite seem to end things on a high note.

"The Pretender" sports the standard-issue aggressive Foo chorus, but the delayed gratification makes it better, thanks to a great 90-second build-up. "Let It Die" isn't the first or last song here that goes quiet-to-loud, but the start-and-stop path along the way makes this one stand out. Unfortunately, Dave's primal screams seem a bit forced at the end here, as the music doesn't quite match the ferocity of the vocals. "Erase/Replace" is a heavier, sober, inconsistent number.

"Long Road to Ruin" is an addictive pop-rock number that's fairly straightforward, but a lot of fun. A nice change of pace made even better by one of the band's best guitar solos. One of those Foo songs that makes you glad to be alive. "Cheer Up Boys" is another uptempo rocker that lightens things up after another pair of slower, disappointing songs in "Come Alive" and "Stranger Things Have Happened."

"Summer's End" is a laid-back, bouncy sing-along that shows off the diversity of the band's sound (think "Good Day Sunshine"), and another great guitar solo. But it'll probably be a puzzler for the more old-fashioned Foo fan. The instrumental "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners," while pleasant, isn't quite as adventurous as it could've been.

"Statues" is part 1 of an excellent 1-2 climax, and possibly the best track here: sweeping, evocative, and moving. The band pulls out all the stops here with an orchestral background, accordion, two delicate guitar solos, and a piano utilized so well it makes you wish they'd use it more often. "But Honestly" follows it up with the final, and most cathartic, use of the album's acoustic-to-electric motif. Great interplay on vocals from both Dave and Taylor, followed by fun, out-of-left-field guitars and drums to finish things out.

"Home" is a simple, somber epilogue, heavy on piano but also with some drums and strings in the second half (though guitars would be a welcome addition). The lyrics are rather straightforward, and perhaps a bit too reminiscent of Lennon's "In My Life."
on October 3, 2007
I've been waiting for this CD, and it finally arrived. 4.5 out of 5 stars. You should definitely buy it or download most of the tracks.

The first instant playback for me was "Let It Die." Since listening to the CD all the way through several times, I've gone back and re-played this one over and over again. LOVE IT! Now, I've got this song under my skin in the best of ways. (Unlike some of the other comments, I don't even mind Dave's build up to his trademark screeching at the end. He's entitled.) ;) This track is uniquely Foo.

"Stranger Things Have Happened" instantly reminded me of a song called "Donkey Jaw" from America's debut album (sans America's vocal harmonies, and their building, electric guitar ending). I loved, loved that raw, quirky, layered acoustic guitar arrangement and very basic percussion from America and love it even more from the updated Foos. Unplugged, raw, pure. "But Honestly," also has a lot of America's acoustic guitar influence. (Not a bad thing to have. If you don't believe me, give America (America) a listen, before the band went pop. It's a classic.)

"The Pretender" and "Erase/Replace" gave me instant FF gratification.

"Come Alive" starts out sounding like a Duncan Sheik tune, but be patient. It morphs into being 100 percent, hard edged Foo.

The short, fast-paced, finger-flying instrumental called "The Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners" also reminded me of another brilliant acoustic guitar performance, Lindsey Buckingham's "Big Love (Live)." Musical talent again pours out of this one. I'd love to see this one performed live. (Gives me chicken skin just thinking about it.)

These were the standout tracks for me.

Very honorable mentions: "Statues" is simply a very cool song. "Home" was earlier compared to a Neil Young performance. I would agree. Very nicely done. The remaining tracks are rock and ballads from another time, and they are growing on me.

Yet, I keep returning to Track 2 (and now to Track 6).
3 people found this helpful
on December 31, 2008
Bought this about a year ago when I first heard "The Pretender" on the radio. The CD was the best one I bought all year and I still play it often. Every track is awesome and there is a lot of depth and variety. There is nothing weak here. It was the first Foo Fighters CD I bought (I know, where have I been?). I knew some of their songs, of course, but never liked any enough to buy the albums until "The Pretender." Since then, I've bought "The Colour and the Shape" and "One By One." Both are great especially with the extra tracks (I'm a Gary Numan and Psychedelic Furs fan, so I was pleased to see them do covers by those artists), but "Echoes..." is still my favorite (the CD title reminds me of the Husker Du song "Charity, Chastity, Prudence, and Hope"). If you haven't bought this yet, what are you waiting for, extra tracks? This one is too good to wait.

"The Pretender"--The song that turned me into a Foo Fighters fan! Rocks and has a unique sound. The lyrics always makes me think of that Sesame Street tune "One of these things is not like the other..." I'm just cooky that way.
"Let It Die"--OK this is getting A LOT of play on the radio. Usually I get sick of songs that get so much play, but this one is so amazing I don't mind hearing it two or three times a day on the rock station. I really like the delicate guitar at the beginning, especially during the repeating "Why'd you have to go and let it die." Then, of course, it explodes! Vocals are excellent, too.
"Erase/Replace"--I like the whiny guitar opening and the high octane riff. Almost punk until it gets to the slower chorus.
"Long Road To Ruin"--Sounds a little more pop and mainstream. I thought it makes a good candidate for a single (which are not always the best songs on the albums, of course), and doing some research, discovered it was the second single. I haven't heard it on the radio which is a good thing because I could see myself getting sick of this one. Good song but probably my least favorite on the CD (besides the instrumental) because it lacks the edge of the other tracks.
"Come Alive"--Nice, relaxing, laid-back track that builds up tempo and explodes at the end. I really like this one.
"Stranger Things Have Happened"--Slow, acoustic number about loneliness.

"Cheer Up, Boys (Your Make Up Is Running)"--Drums kick on this one. The beginning sounds like the song is about to explode but it settles down and turns into a very accessible track along the lines of "Long Road To Ruin" but with an edge.
"Summer's Edge"--This one has kind of a country rock sound: "Sweet Virginia countryside, I will meet you there, bloody lips and cherry wine, moonshine in your hair."
"Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners"--Very impressive guitar work on this instrumental.
"Statues"--Great track! I like the laid-back feel with the piano and the drums that beef up the sound as well as the lyrics: "We're just ordinary people you and me, time will turn us into statues eventually."
"But, Honestly"--Mostly just vocals and strumming guitar until the other instruments kick in to the repeating "Give it to you." I like the scale guitar solo. This one is not as memorable as the others, probably because it is near the end.
"Home"--Quiet, slow song with soft vocals and piano built up with drum and orchestra. Pleasant way to end an excellent album.
4 people found this helpful
on January 27, 2009
I admit it, at one time I was one who thought of Dave Grohl as someone who rocked hard, too, hard for me personally.

Until I gave this album a chance.

Nice, real nice. Less of a head banger than what I had heard in prior years. I like the mellower side of Dave.
I think having a family and kids has sweetened him up a tad bit and I'm digging the change.

This CD will give you a nice combo of softer tunes mixed with a few more serious rockin songs reminiscent of past material one might expect from the Foo's..

Favorite Tracks: Home, Come Alive, Stranger Things have Happened, But, Honestly & Ballad of Beaconsfield a gorgeous song.
on October 3, 2007
You know what to expect from a Foo Fighters album: catchy riffs, belted out choruses, and some acoustic guitar here and there. Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace has all that and a little more.

1. The Pretender 10/10: This song was amazing the first time I heard it, but subsequent listens made me realize there really isn't more to it than I heard on the first listen. It's still a really great rock song, very radio friendly.
2. Let It Die 9/10: Following in the steps of "February Stars" and other Foo Fighters songs that start soft and end screaming, this song would be perfect if the lyrics weren't so repetitive.
3. Erase/Replace 6/10: I didn't like this one the first time I heard it. The verses aren't bad, but the chorus really doesn't work. It is starting to grow on me a bit though.
4. Long Road to Ruin 7/10: These days, subtle war songs work better than obvious ones, and this song works; I suppose.
5. Come Alive 8/10: The "Come Alive" constantly in the background toward the end help to ruin the potential this song had to be one of the Foo Fighters' best. The demo version on "The Pretender" single isn't as good as this album version, just in case you were planning on buying "The Pretender" single.
6. Stranger Things Have Happened 9/10: Gee, you think Dave likes to smoke? Though rather mellow, it's a very catchy song.
7. Cheer Up Boys (Your Make Up Is Running) 8/10: Makeup is one word. While we're at it, there should be a comma after "Patience" in the album's title, and no comma after "But" in "But, Honestly."
8. Summer's End 9/10: The classic rock influence is very obvious here. The lyrics have the same meaninglessness as the Foo Fighters' first album, but it's still an enjoyable song.
9. The Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners 2/10: An acoustic instrumental, yeah... that's why you buy a Foo Fighters album.
10. Statues 5/10: It's an okay song, but it's just not my thing.
11. But, Honestly 6/10: It's an okay song, but it's nothing special.
12. Home 3/10: This one is way too artsy. Much like "Friend of a Friend" from the last album, it attempts to impose a greatness that it really doesn't have.

In general, this album has two weak points:
* Some of the songs just aren't very captivating, namely the last four
* Just about all of the songs are rather repetitive, but that's nothing new
It's still a really good album, and it's rather versatile, but it's not really a legitimate candidate for the Foo Fighters' best.
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 29, 2008
As a band gets older, if they are a decent band they try new things and explore new areas. If they didn't do that, they would be dismissed as derivative and they would quickly go to the bargain bin and play the county fair circuit. Fortunately, the Foo Fighters are a great band, and they have certainly grown by leaps and bounds on this new album. They have recorded many songs that hearken back to the earlier stuff (Let It Die, The Pretender, Erase/Replace) and they have tweaked those hard-rockin' melodies to create smooth harmonies (Summer's End) and beautiful ballads (Home). Some have lamented the fact that the Foos have picked up acoustic guitars as of late (Beaconsfield and Stranger Things) but to me that is a sure sign that Dave and the band are more confident than ever that their music and lyrics are strong and emotional. And I think many of their fans agree, what with the success of In Your Honor and the acoustic tour. In my opinion (and many other's opinions), this band has hit their creative stride, and they are going to skyrocket even higher. My favorite track on this album is Come Alive, because it reminds me of February Stars, my favorite Foo track of all time. And that's my point. They have reached back, taken some of their earlier ideas and expanded on them to create something at once familiar and brand-new. Kudos to you guys.
on October 28, 2007
This album is great, is an evolution, I am a big Foos fan since the first record in 1995, in this cd you will find a very complex but really great music, the lirics are relly deep, I relly like this songs:
1- The Pretender: rock like the used to be, with a refresing beat. 5/5
2-Let it die: the classic smoth foo's rock. 5/5
3-Erase Replace: a diferent beat but refresing as well. 5/5
4-Long Road to Ruin: this songs is a mix with rock a pop. 5/5
5-Come alive: slow rock. 5/5
6-Stranger thins have happened: fo's acoustic rock, I think it is excellent. 5/5
7-Cheer Up, Boys (Your Make Up Is Running): fast rock, this like foo's old songs, it is a strong rock. 5/5
8. Summer s End: slow rock, so so. 4/5
9. Ballad Of The Beaconsfield Miners: slow rock as well bu good. 4/5
10. Statues: rock/acoustic/ballad, it is a complex song, good. 5/5
11. But, Honestly: foo's classic rock. 5/5
12. Home: Great rock, a great ending song. 5/5

Well I think this album is really good, if you are a foo's fan you must have this record, if you are not a fan, you will enjoy this alum too.