Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 328 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 673 reviews
on August 18, 2016
It had been several years since we sat down to watch Eddie do his thing in Dress to Kill. We were a bit surprised to learn that at the time, Britain was thinking about joining the EU and now have voted to Brexit. We had problems with terrorism, but not to the point it is at this time. It might have been a little dated in places, but for the most part, he was still on the mark with politics, history, his hilarious geography, being a transvestite, hiding his makeup in a squirrel hole, "cake or death?", do you have a flag? and all the wonderful and hilarious things he has to say. We had a blast reliving the dvd and I will have it with me to visit the rest of my family so they can enjoy it again. Thanks Eddie!
on May 19, 2017
This is the version that was available on the DVD, and is the version I love to death and can quote right along with him [to my friends' dismay]. I don't know what happened with the CD/mp3 version but that one was definitely not this performance.
I can't say enough good things about this, so I'll keep it simple: it's funny, I learned some things from it, and his delivery in this video is hysterical. I love this to death and have subje---er...shared this with many friends.
on February 13, 2014
This was my introduction to Eddie Izzard ten years ago. Loved it then. Love it now. It is iconic Eddie. Showed it to a friend who had never heard of M. Izzard, and all he could do between trying to breathe between laughing and wiping the tears was ask me where this guy came from. Or, from where did this guy come. I hated to tell him it was thirteen years old, but it just shows how well it has translated over a decade later. And do yourself a favor. Choose cake.
on October 3, 2013
I'm sadly convinced that as we get older, something dampens our ability to find things as knicker-wettingly funny as we might have done when younger. And it seems we're less likely to be quite so intentionally funny ourselves (witness the many comedians who in their later years replaced their original good-humored hilarity with cranky, vile and vituperative acts). But Eddie Izzard's "Dress to Kill" seems timeless -- a light-hearted, innocent delight. True, I didn't find myself laughing out loud as much as I did at the first couple of viewings when it was originally televised, but except for a few pokes at history's well-acknowledged evil-doers, this is the kind of victim-less comedy that stands the test of time. And except for a liberal peppering of f-bombs, I think its content is otherwise acceptable viewing for teens, who might even learn a bit of history along with enjoying some laughs courtesy of a truly engaging comic.
on March 20, 2017
I will never tire of watching this. Had to buy a second copy because my ex wouldn't part with it.
on April 11, 2017
Very entertaining and funny and at the same time truthful, very good movie.
Eddie Izzard is one of the most interesting comics I have seen in a long time. He is from England and has that sharp wit and satirical sharpness that would make anyone one who is even somewhat sensible (or intelligent) laugh out loud. He has also done some acting and been featured in movies like The Avengers, Mystery Men and Oceans Twelve as well as others.

His insights into history, religion, American Culture and even our own presidents are amazingly accurate - if not someone satirical with a resounding ring of "truth". What makes you laugh is not the fact that he is the self proclaim "Executive Transvestite" (he likes women) - but the way in which he tells the ironies of history. Questions that, now in hindsight, we can ask not and actually say, "what were they thinking".

His color visions and interpretations and even impressions are astonishingly humorous and right on target. He does where a dress and high heals and make-up too, but he addresses all of that as well. He even plays with the audience and tells a few stories that are true - well maybe not - well yes they are - well then again......it's hysterical watching him do that!

This particular concert was done in San Francisco and back in 1999. It has to be the funniest of the bunch - although his other concerts are as sharp as this one! He has a great time even with the San Francisco natives as well. You can tell he knows what he is talking about because of the audience's reactions and hysterical laughter.

This DVD extras have something unique. The commentary is in two different languages. English and French. Also there is a whole separate concert on this DVD that he did in France and yes it is all in French. Directed by Lawrence Jorden, a renowned director of music videos, concerts and TV Specials including - Barry Manilow, Duran Duran, John Mellencamp, Dave Mathews, David Bowie and many more - this concert works on Many levels. This DVD is fun, funny and intelligent. If you like intelligent humor - this concert is for you! You'll watch it over and over and stil laugh every time! LORENZO - (FEB 2006)
on January 1, 2006
I was lucky enough to catch this special on HBO and laughed so hard, I cried & my sides hurt! A good kind of hurt, of course. Eddie Izzard being a transvestite really has nothing to do with his comedy because he is smart, international and hilarious and his being transvestite is really quite secondary to his intelligent style of comedy. He does have that kind of "British" humor that's dry and some people may not get it.

Pascal Meunier (see his other reviews for a sample of his tastes) on a previous review on this page said this wasn't funny & that Izzard "babbles & pisses on everything." Talk about inaccurate!!! Negative reviews only get "not helpful" when there is a lopsided or un-defended attack on a person or product. If well written with a substantiated argument, a negative review can be quite helpful. His complaint was that he got this DVD on the strength of misleading reviews. I will give a full & complete review for any other prospective buyers

Firstly, Izzard doesn't "piss" on everything- he is an observer of everything. One of the truest & best observations he makes is the one that people like Pol Pot and Stalin killed people in their own country & basically got away with it because, as he said, "we're kinda fine with that, we've been trying to kill you for years!" but of course, Hitler, silly man, killed people next door and we won't stand for that after a while. Like most comedy (for example Chris Rock saying when you date people they don't meet you, they meet your representative,) Izzard's comedy is funny because it is observations of things we all know are TRUE. I couldn't help notice that Robin Williams, who has a similar style of fast, smart comedy, was one of the producers of this show. I would guess HE thinks he's funny. As for a comparison to George Carlin, one of my personal favorites, that's really quite useless because everyone's comedy is different. I'm a big Robert Schimmel fan & his comedy is generally crude, sexual and outrageous- outrageously funny, but different. That is why there are so many different types of comedians, something for everyone. I guess Eddie is an intellectuals' comedian- and what's wrong with that? Isn't it about time?

He has funny jokes about Henry VIII who basically shagged women & killed them, about the Anglican Church being too lenient and offering "cake or death" in their theoretical inquisition. The international clout of Scooby-Doo and the "Falstaff" comparison is great. I never go to an action flick at the theatre eating popcorn with out thinking of his "Room with a View of Hell, staircase of Satan!" Or his hilarious take on the Heimlich Maneuver or Englebert Humperdink/Jerry Dorsey and his name. There is just so much in this that is funny, and now that I've been watching it while writing my review - he isn't pissing on everything- to the contrary, he's amazingly positive actually- especially compared to most comedians (for example Carlin)!

This is a great comedian and a wonderful stand-up concert that you will watch over & over- luckily, as another reviewer said, it gets funnier each time you watch it. 6 stars out of 5!!!!!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2009
This is as funny today, as when I watched it on a Video Tape.
I never tire of watching Eddie Izzard. I have since replaced
all his work on DVD, thanks to Amazon. I have seen him live
3 times.I went to his gig in Miami 2 nights in a row and I
swear he did 2 different shows....can't wait for Stripped
to hit Amazon. If the lipstick Eddie puts you off, in Stripped
he is all Male. So loosen up,get on Amazon and buy his earlier
DVD's. Unless you are a complete tight arse with a closed mind,
you will love them. I also purchased "The Riches" Season One
and the Season Two, whch was well worth the $$.....I'm telling
you laughter is so freeing. Buy Izzard tapes,be sure to empty
your bladder....and go on the Magic Carpet Ride that is
Eddie Izzard's wonderful mind.
on November 3, 2012
I first saw this DVD shortly after it came out in 1999 and absolutely loved it.

I recently purchased it to share it with my teenagers who are now old enough to appreciate Izzard's absurd observational humour and to understand his cultural and historical references.

Although this stand-up routine dates from 1998, the subjects Izzard covers are as relevant now as they were then. My 17-year old daughter and I watched it together and she was doubled-up in laughter as much as I was.

Izzard's surrealistic recounting of British history, including the famous "Cake or Death!" line, is without compare in the world of stand-up comedy.

Eddie Izzard is a comic genius and Dress to Kill is a timeless classic.