Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
When "Eddie" wins the honorary coach for the day contest at one of the Knicks' games, she manages to get thrown off the court by the head coach (Dennis Farina), when she protests a ref's call. This causes the fans to go wild, chanting her name as she leaves the court. When the head coach for the Knicks gets fired by the team's owner, Wild Bill Burgess (Frank Langella in a ten gallon hat), he hires "Eddie" as an interim head coach, as it seems that fans of the Knicks love "Eddie" and respond to her very positively. After all, she was one of them. Burgess, however, has no expectations of "Eddie's" ability to coach the team. "Eddie", however, aims to do everything she can to bring the Knicks out of their slump. For her, this is a dream come true.
This is a feel good sort of movie. Whoopi is very funny , as she goes about setting right what has gone wrong with the team. Frank Langella is terrific as the deal making team owner whose folksy manner belies the fact that he has his eye on the bottom line. Dennis Farina is credible as the head coach with a mouth as big as his monumental ego. While the film is fairly predictable, it is quite enjoyable. The viewer is also treated to a few fun cameos by Donald Trump, sports announcer Marv Alpert, and former NBA star, Walt Frazier. If you are not a big fan of basketball, however, deduct one star from my rating.
1) I love the scene where Eddie asks one of the team members if the loss is her fault. After saying, "You know how it is, coaches lose, teams win," he goes on to tell her that as long as she sees the players as just basketball players, and not real people, then they won't listen to her anymore than she is listening to them.
Too often we do the same, not just to basketball players, but to others in our lives. We fail to see them as real people, and we tend to forget the importance of listening to their cares and problems.
2) During the climax of the movie, Eddie must make a crucial decision. She has to decide if she is willing to put her reputation and future on the line for what is important. In so doing, she has to be willing to recognize that she has been a fool ... and put aside her own ego.
Depending on whether you enjoy Whoopi, you may or may not appreciate this particular video, but go beyond the surface humor and hear the message of the movie. Each of us is important, and we deserve to be listened to. And each of us has the possibility of changing things, even if we aren't rich and powerful.
If you like Whoopi, this is a keeper. Whoopi plays a character named Eddie. Eddie is a serious fan of a particular basketball team. When the new owner decides to "shake things up" he invites Whoopi to be the new head coach. The laughs never stopped after that! Even if you not a hard core basketball fan (like me), you'll still love this flick if you like Whopi!
It would have been better to order the new one in the first place.
I have other movies she has made and she is just great all the way around.
I would love to meet her one day, but as we all know its just a dream.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I absolutely love this movie and watch it over and over again. It does involve basketball and there are actual players in the movie. It is a feel good movie.Published 1 month ago by Heather S
Item came as described. Appears to work fine? It will take some time. SWPublished 6 months ago by Amazon Customer
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > 4-for-3 DVD
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Sports
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment