Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(5 star). See all 20 reviews
VINE VOICEon October 5, 2009
For those of us who want to cook these noodles using traditional Japanese cooking techniques; here are the instructions:

Traditional Cooking Instructions for Japanese Noodles: You can boil the noodles as you would any other pasta or you can use the traditional Japanese style of cooking noodles, which takes a little longer but is well worth the effort. This method is referred to as the shocking method, cold water is added to boiling water several times during the cooking process, creating a more firm, tastier noodle. For this method, place 2 quarts of cold water in a large pot, cover and bring to a boil. Remove the cover, add the noodles and stir to prevent sticking. As soon as the water comes to a boil again, add enough cold water to stop the water from boiling (about 1/2 to 2/3 cup). Bring to a boil again, and add cold water again. Repeat one or two additional times until the noodles are done. Periodically check the noodles by removing a strand and biting or cutting it in half. If the center of the noodle strand is white and the outside is darker, the noodles are not done. When the center of the noodle is the same color as the outside, and the noodles are firm yet tender to the bite they are done. Rinse Japanese noodles under cold water to prevent clumping.

I'm not sure why Eden doesn't include the instructions on the package but they are on their website.

Yes, I put a little peanut oil in the water and do the cool/boil 3 times over the 8 minute cooking time. I made my own Tsuyu sauce because it's much less expensive than the prepared suace and easy enough to do. The recipe is simple:

3 cups dashi (bonito and konbu (kelp))
1 cup dark soy
1 cup mirin (or sake with 3/4 cup sugar)

It lasts for months in the refrigerator.

Enjoy...
0Comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 18, 2012
First thanks to everyone who reviewed. All of you assisted me with cooking a quality product.

These noodles mix well with just about any seasoning you can throw their way. I even used leftovers and was able to make quick, very tasty meals.

Rinsing in cold water is important so they don't continue to cook to mush. I've reheated them in the microwave after the rinse and they remain firm.

I am very pleased and will continue to purchase them.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 27, 2011
I want to thank all the previous reviewers for providing wonderful cooking tips. I used Japanese soba sauce with a little wasabi and green onion, and sprinkled some shredded dry seaweed. The combined flavor is just divine :) It's wonderful for people looking for a gluten-free solution.
on March 21, 2009
Great source of carbs and good for the circulatory system. Being pure buckwheat they will clump together until you rinse them. I think they are much better this way for variety if you have the unrelated traditional wheat already in your diet elsewhere. I always eat these plain right after cooking and rinsing them and I could not be happier.
on December 3, 2015
The only 100% buckwheat noodle I have been able to find. My favorite noodle...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 8, 2011
I am gluten intolerant. Most soba noodles have a blend of buckwheat (no gluten) and wheat (lottsa gluten) - at least those that I've found in our local stores, and I've checked a few. There may be more g-f soba noodles available now; that's changing in leaps and bounds. These soba noodles are great. Cook up just like they're supposed to, taste great and I know they are safe for me to eat. I am enjoying a nice serving of soy-free miso (look up South River Organic Miso - Amazon carries it, too) with gluten-free soba noodles for dinner. I don't think you can go wrong.
on May 9, 2011
Boil, rinse in cold water, dash of sesame oil, then add your stir fried vegetables on top. OH SO GOOD.=D
on November 20, 2010
OK guys, what we have here is a basic misunderstanding about how Japanese buckwheat noodles differ from semolina pasta. This was my favorite food when I lived in Japan, so let me tell you how it's done. The cloudy boiling water means it's high quality soba. Eden is right about adding cold water, but only keep cooking it until it's al dente--sometimes three repetitions is too long. When the soba is done, SAVE a cup or two of the cloudy boiling water for a special treat later. Drain the soba noodles and rinse them. Then, and this is critical, soak them in a bowl of ice water for 3 minutes until they're nicely chilled.

Japanese people do not stir-fry their soba noodles, as far as I can tell, so if you want to go that route you're on your own. The Japanese tend to eat all their noodles wet. Soba is often in hot soup, but the best way in the summer is to use a dipping sauce. You can buy one from an Asian market (I like Yamaki brand). Sometimes you're meant to dilute the dipping sauce by half or a third with water. Into the dipping sauce grate some radish, slice some scallions, and put a dab of wasabi paste. Mix it up. Then pick up a small clump of soba noodles, put them in your dipping sauce, and then slurp some of those noodles up into your mouth. Make sure that you take in air as you slurp and don't suck too tightly or the noodles will fly up and hit you in the eye! Repeat.

When you've finished your noodles, pour some of the left over boiling water into your dipping sauce. Mix and drink! It's healthy and delicious and all the best restaurants do it. Itadakimashou!
11 comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 10, 2017
Do you have a wheat intolerance....Going Gluten Free ? This is a GREAT alternative and soooo good for you. Word of caution: DO NOT OVERCOOK; have a meal quickly...all it need is a TopCoat :)
on August 5, 2009
As another poster said, the trick is to just rinse with cold water after cooking. Then the noodles separate and are very tasty.

For one serving: I just break the noodles in half (or smaller pieces, just take a bunch and break all at once) to fit into about 1 cup or so of hot water (heated in the microwave), then heat on high uncovered for about 4 min, check to see if it needs a little more zap time (or just leave it for a few more minutes in the hot water). I have a low power microwave (500 W), you will need to experiment. Then rinse with cold water in a collander, and add whatever you want. Then you can warm it up again for a hot dish.

The same technique can be used for any kind of pasta, just don't try pure semolina wheat - it disintegrates. A mix with durum wheat or any whole grain pasta of any kind works well. Be careful not to overcook corn pasta, though. Some rice pastas are short-cooking, but Pastariso or Lundgren rice pastas cook longer like any wheat/kamut/spelt pasta. Corn and rice pasta need the cold rinse approach, others might not.
11 comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse