Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 268 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 346 reviews
on April 30, 2016
if you are like me, you love books. You're looking at a book on edible plants that could easily be the only one you place on your shelf. This book has what's important and some others lack- vibrant, clear, close up and full plant color photos for identifying.
I purchased this book for my mother. She lives in Oregon, and is always trying to identify things on her property. I liked this book so much when I received it to give to her- I purchased another for myself.
Everyone who loves nature and likes to know what they are walking around, and if it's edible- this is your book!
On top of that, I went to the author's website and found a long list of workshops, with a variety of topics to learn and experience. They were mostly in Oregon, some were in other parts of the PNW or US in general. I hope to take my mom up to one someday soon!
review image review image
on December 7, 2016
This is one of my top 4 foraging books. I have a stack of foraging books- some books ago it used to be knee high. Why is this such a standout? Because it goes into a level of detail that let's you overcome the omnivores dilemma on the plants covered. This book covers leafy spring greens and covers them well. It is not your typical book covering a large number of plants in poor detail. Instead it covers a few plants in sufficient detail to actually teach you how to eat them.
on May 18, 2016
I agree with the previous 5 star reviews. John Kallas is local. After taking a much appreciated class from him, I had to buy this book to see how his ideas came across in written form. The layout, the writing and the photos are impressive. Kallas includes only what he considers the "foundational" wild edibles in this book and those are presented in such clear and careful detail that it would be difficult to go astray while out foraging. This will be the one book I take while looking for wild edibles. Thanks, John!
on March 22, 2014
"Edible Wild Plants," has been the topic of much discussion in the Yahoogroup "Plant Foragers" [...] and for good reason. It's the best! Here is what I posted on the list, and thought I would share it here: "My current favorite book by far is Edible Wild Plants by John Kallas. I like all my books for different reasons, but this book is, IMHO, the most well written, thought out, and comprehensive book on foraging I have ever read. The plants that are covered are limited but the coverage of each plant is exhaustive, ranging from preparation for the field work, identifying, harvesting, and more. His pictures are great examples (something not true of all foraging books), and he includes pictures of many stages of growth, something that I have not seen in other books. Good pictures and help identifying in all stages of growth are important to me, as I am insecure in making a first time positive ID. (Once I am sure of what it is, I would recognize it anywhere...) Most foraging books have one or two pictures of a plant, often in the same stage of growth and/or drawn pictures, which I do not find helpful. (Drawn pictures are lovely to look at on a wall, but they do not help me with IDing a plant that I have never seen.) I find that with most books, I am left with some questions and more research is required on my part. Not so with this one. When I closed the book, I realized EVERY question that popped into my mind was covered in this book. No stone left unturned!"
on June 8, 2017
I Love this beautiful, detailed book, 'Wild Edible Plants: Wild Foods From Dirt to Plate', by John Kallas, on wild edible greens and their less palatable or harmful look alikes. It is a great beginner's book, along with Samuel Thayer's 'Nature's Garden' and 'Forager's Harvest', but suitable for experienced foragers, too.

Other reviewers felt more plants should have been covered, or these books should have been more lightweight, for backpacks, but if one thinks about it, we Begin to learn about most things a bit at a time, in a kind of sequence. Alongside great photographs, these books emphasize method, essential to in depth learning. The authors give their anecdotal backgrounds and credentials. I find it entertainingly insightful, beneficial to credibility. These books provide a lot of information about fewer plants than most field guides, but it's absorbable information which can be expanded with experience, yet returned to time and again. As with typing and other skills, accuracy is more important in the beginning. Speed or numbers develop later.

Personally, I'd take these with me initially, to focus on the plants they cover, learn all I can about them, and as I grow comfortable in my learning, seek more plants offered by other references, over time. Learn and apply the content of these three, peruse and acquire other quality field guides, and enjoy the 'fruit' of your efforts.

Another concern (and all concerns have value) expressed by readers has been region limitation. Truly to not sound flip, and all the wisest hikers/campers aren't going to read one book, or take a week's course, and expect to go out in the woods (or desert), to live happily ever after, but remember, these wild plants are mostly 'weeds'. That means they adapt and routinely cross those boundaries we conveniently set, for ourselves - perhaps not as abundantly as we expect, when we expect, but few regions we're likely to visit, won't support at least Some of these delicious, nutritious foods...must haves for me.
on August 24, 2013
This is a great book with excellent photographs of plants, and humorous as well at times. John Kallas is very educated and knowledgeable about this subject, but writes simply enough so that all will understand. The book has great photographs in it, and one thing I really liked about this book, was it also gave recipes for using the plants that you pick. I would highly recommend this book. I actually bought several books by different authors, so I would have multiple sources to make sure that I was picking what I was hoping to pick as the appearance of plant often does change over time! If you were only going to buy one book, buy this one. But I have to say, that I have found having multiple books is a bonus for identifying and using plants for food, medicine, etc. You DO need to know what you are doing if you are gathering your own wild food. Not all plants are editable and some can even be dangerous if ingested. So buy this book and then continue to add to your library as you can afford it.

For diversity and the ability to truly identify and use plants, I purchased Nature's Garden - "A guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants by Samuel Thayer, The Forager's Harvest - A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting and Preparing Edible Wild Plants" also by Samuel Thayer, and Edible Wild Plants - Wild Foods from Dirt to Plate by John Kallas, PhD. If you can afford it, purchase all 3 of these books, as I have found that I USE all of them for various reasons - a better photo/recipe/information, etc. And if there is any doubt about a plant I have several resources to better help me identify the information that I need.
on March 26, 2015
This is by far the best book on wild plants that I have come across. Kallas wrote this with regular, conventional people in mind. You don't have to be a raw-chard-for-breakfast extremist to love this book and use it in your daily diet! Extremely interesting and easy to read. I rarely read books like this cover-to-cover, but this one kept my enthusiasm. I have a heavy background in plants, but I still found globs of knowledge to add to my memory bank. While most books on wild plants are full of lists and bulletpoints that are virtually impossible to use in daily life, Kallas used his personal experiences with the plants to guide the reader in a usable, understandable fashion. Good for beginners and experts. Well worth the money.
on April 26, 2017
This is NOT your average edible plants guide. The book covers fewer plants, but the trade off is the great detail, recipes, and extra material discussing nutrients, wild foods in general, growing wild edibles, and fantastic pictures. Kallas has great depth of knowledge and a detailed yet conversational writing style.
on December 13, 2014
One of the best wild edible plant books in my collection. This is a great book, when starting out in Wild edibles most people want to know them all (it's just how it is when your learning something new) but this book doesn't do that. John Kallas gives you a good and not and overwhelming collection that you can learn about fairly easily. It has a lot of info on each plant, that in turn teaches you about studying Wild plants as a whole. Through the knowledge and understanding of the plants in this book it will help you to identify and understand others that aren't in it much easier. Great pictures in many different stages of growth for each plant. I recommend this book for anyone wanting to start learning about wild edible plants.
on October 3, 2016
This is an awesome guide to edible plants! At first I thought I would have liked a guide with a greater number of plants, but I learned you are looking for plants to eat so you need all the extra information to be sure of what you are picking! I especially appreciate the guide to look-alike plants, with photos and information for being sure to tell them apart. The carefully chosen photos (rather than line drawings) are key. Also I really appreciate him including photos of the different morphs of the plants. I am thrilled to get to know so much about these plants!